Potential defensive coordinators - my suggestions

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know a proven veteran DC would be exactly what this new staff needs but could you imagine if Kingsbury could lure Brent Venables to the NFL? Venables has accomplished everything at the collegiate level except become a HC but he’s 48 so he is still young and a lot of guys on the defense would know and respect him. Venables is a pipe dream but he would be a WOW hire in a good way. Even though he is a 4-3 DC that shouldn’t matter because Keim could get the pieces to fit a 4-3.

I'm a Syracuse fan, so I've seen Venables do his magic. He's an outstanding DC. I'm pretty certain the Cardinals will NOT go this route, but I would love to see this guy out of the ACC ASAP.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kris Richard (pronounced Ri-shard) would be nearly at the top of my list. Likes hyperaggressive defense. My kind of d coach. I personally HATE read and react defenses. I believe in having simple to execute, attacking schemes.

My list is:
Pagano(s)
Vance Joseph
Kris Richard

I wonder if the bridge was totally burnt with Arians and if none of his peeps would come to AZ?

Pronounced the proper way in French, which the genesis of the name / surname.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Gregg Williams fired in Cleveland. Go get him!

I hate what he did to Favre & Warner but he’s great at his job! You hate him if he’s against but luv him if he’s on your side. He would bring a nastiness back to Big Reds D

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I know a proven veteran DC would be exactly what this new staff needs but could you imagine if Kingsbury could lure Brent Venables to the NFL? Venables has accomplished everything at the collegiate level except become a HC but he’s 48 so he is still young and a lot of guys on the defense would know and respect him. Venables is a pipe dream but he would be a WOW hire in a good way. Even though he is a 4-3 DC that shouldn’t matter because Keim could get the pieces to fit a 4-3.

he is making over $2million a year at Clemson, 2nd highest paid coordinator in college football...the Cardinals would have to beat that.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
cleveland leaning towards Kitchens is good. that should put greg williams on the market...mr bounty gate is one hell of a DC....rather have him with us than against us.
So,OK, out with it - Someone make the case for and against Greg Williams (baggage included).

And while we're at it, why the negativity over Schiano - his Rutgers teams overperformed.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cardinals were 8-8 with a decent coach and Blaine Gabbert qbing virtually the same team.

This was the biggest misconception of 2018.

Half of the starters on defense were gone:
(Dansby, Rucker, Mathieu, Branch, T. Williams, Mauro)

On offense Half of the starters were gone as well:
(Palmer, Veldheer, Boehm, Niklas, Brown, Shipley)

I'm not sure how an over 50% change in starters equates to the same team.

The 2018 team was vastly different from the 2017 one. A ton of veteran leadership left forcing the Cardinals to play unproven younger players as starters.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
At this point, when l look at how the dominoes have fallen, I'm all for Gregg Williams. We need an influx of aggressiveness and fighting spirit on defense. We lost our edge from previous years when Wilks arrived.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So,OK, out with it - Someone make the case for and against Greg Williams (baggage included).

And while we're at it, why the negativity over Schiano - his Rutgers teams overperformed.

Williams for - Fierce defenses just about everywhere he's been. Like him or hate him from bounty-gate, the guy can coach a defense.

I think his base D is a 4-3, but he runs a mix of what's needed for game flow.

Williams against - Just my .02, but questions about his ethics with coaching said defense. Hopefully, that concern is behind him. Another concern I'd have is that the Cards run into a Bowles type situation where he gets plucked away for a HC job after a year or two.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Outside of Willians, no big loss here.

offense Half of the starters were gone as well:

The 2018 team was vastly different from the 2017 one. A ton of veteran leadership left forcing the Cardinals to play unproven younger players as starters.

Palmer had how many wins? You also didn't mention the contributions of Kirk and David Johnson this year.

And as bad as Rosen looked at times, Gabbert was pretty terrible..

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

On offense Half of the starters were gone as well:

LOL. Fake news.

Branch - 54.4% of snaps
Mauro - 31.5% of snaps

Boehm - 52.7% of snaps
Niklas - 37.1% of snaps, also garbage
Brown - 43.7% of snaps

I mean, MAYBE you could say Branch was a starter, but his job was basically taken by Budda Baker. Troy Niklas was garbage. Aren't you the same guy who was bemoaning us being the oldest roster in the league last year?

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Don't save your best for the next game. If you think he is the one you want, then get him. Don't not get him because you think someone will pluck him away from you a couple of years down the road

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Williams for - Fierce defenses just about everywhere he's been. Like him or hate him from bounty-gate, the guy can coach a defense.

Williams against - Just my .02, but questions about his ethics with coaching said defense. Hopefully, that concern is behind him. Another concern I'd have is that the Cards run into a Bowles type situation where he gets plucked away for a HC job after a year or two.

It's definitely possible, but he's on the wrong side of the ball to be poached. Some will be turned off by his past still, which should limit his options, even if only a bit.

But there are a decent amount of former HC/DC out there. If a team next year wants a DC, they will also have guys like Marvin Lewis, Del Rio, etc... to consider. Either way, whatever veteran DC we get, if we do that, will be at risk of being poached. I just don't think to a high degree.

Also if there are a few out there, it lessens the chance that the one with us is the one that gets the tap on the shoulder.

We should go for the one we want, and hope the trend remains for offensive HC's.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
I don't think Del Rio or Gregg Williams are in immediate danger of being poached away for a HC gig. Even if our defense improves vastly. Both had their shot(s) and it didn't end well. Both aren't always easy to get along with, like Todd Haley who is coaching where now? Marv Lewis has the moniker of being mediocre dusty coach, which isn't sexy enough for the NFL today.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

There's a lot of baggage there. Including the take out of Warner. Can't believe he's allowed to coach in the NFL.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
LOL. Fake news.

Branch - 54.4% of snaps
Mauro - 31.5% of snaps

Boehm - 52.7% of snaps
Niklas - 37.1% of snaps, also garbage
Brown - 43.7% of snaps

I mean, MAYBE you could say Branch was a starter, but his job was basically taken by Budda Baker. Troy Niklas was garbage. Aren't you the same guy who was bemoaning us being the oldest roster in the league last year?
I think you may be underestimating just how important Palmer was overall to Arians success. HE carried that 13-3 season, and kept them competitive thereafter mostly. When he couldn't deliver in the NFC championship game, you saw the carnage Carolina inflicted. They really didn't challenge seriously thereafter.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That against would then lead to "let me get a mediocre guy that no one will want as head coach later. That's a losing strategy.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson