you knew it was coming-the KK hire poll

Opinion on the K.K. hire?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Neutral, not going to get excited, from Missouri the Show Me State, etc.

I think some of the right people think highly of him which is good but only time will tell.

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Where is the same poll
His offense is being run all over the NFL right now.
The Patriots play a college style system, as do the Rams, the Bears, the Chiefs, and the Eagles.

#holdmybeer

I have to disagree that air raid is being ran all over the nfl. Sure I've seen some plays from time to time that are typical air raid but to say air raid is all over the NFL is disingenuous. College doesn't mean spread anymore. College offense is loose enough I don't know what that means. If you mean RPO, fakes and trick plays yes the better teams weave that in to beat D's but to act like everyone in the NFL is stupid and college coaches have it figured out isn't true. The ones mixing it up and bring unconvential at times are doing well no doubt. There is a reason air raid isn't being used a foundation and it has nothing to do with coaching.

I don't know who the other two receivers are that we are going to line up that doesn't make the first and second read obvious. We don't have a stud TE to flex out. Can DJ pass block on our porous line?

I don't mind this hire for OC if the HC was also offense oriented and they could collaborate but I don't see this is a solid HC pick and is really a hail Mary. Much more than x and o to being NFL HC but I guess it's wait and see.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
My understanding of the air raid offense is it's vertical and it relies on running routes precisely so that the routes become very hard to defend.

This sounds good in theory but here's how the wheels of this bus could go flying off.

A. Indefensible in the Big 12 is not the same as the NFL.
B. Um our WR situation is not the embarrasment of riches it once was.
C. We have to rely on Keim to build this roster.
D. See C above.

Never even mentioned the DC thing.

The Big 12 is not that tough a conference Mizzou moved over to the SEC, that is a tough conference. You have Oklahoma and Texas and .... that's about it, Baylor is good now but that's on and off.

To say it's tough to recruit in Texas, well I guess it's not that tough, cause every Big 12 team has Texas recruits there's like a million Texas football players some of whom go on to play for teams outside of Texas and do well all the time, it's pretty stocked with talent.

The more I reflect on this, the more I'm starting to think it's not that wonderful however I'm officially done commenting on it until I see it in action, always want to be surprised and if he can help out our QB that'll be a big help but we're going to need some more WR's to make this work.

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Let’s see. McVay, Mahomes, Brady, and many others have endorsed KK. I’ll go with their endorsement over Kent somers or some other local yocal.

Unless you are a scumbag your friends and colleagues will prop you up and no one is going to say negative stuff. I'm sure Wilks had as much or more endearing things said by respected people when he was hired. Means nothing, bar is higher than people who know you respecting you.

Not trying to be a buzz kill just saying this guy has achieved nothing that would indicate he is a great HC so until proven otherwise my expectations match that.

Reactions: HGC

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I'll say I like it for one reason, and something I had not considered until late this evening.

We needed the candidate with the maximum potential for developing Rosen. That was probably KK. That is, an offensive mind with with a philosophy that seems to manufacture success for the QB position.

Then again, He did run off Mayfield, after Baker performed admirably as a walk-on freshman. Wouldn't give him a scholarship? That was a really weird deal, and we never got the complete story on that. Considering that now also, I wish that I would selected "neutral". lol.. Can't make up my mind!

Cardinal

All Star
Reaction score
My understanding of the air raid offense is it's vertical and it relies on running routes precisely so that the routes become very hard to defend.

This sounds good in theory but here's how the wheels of this bus could go flying off.

D. See C above.

The Big 12 is not that tough a conference Mizzou moved over to the SEC, that is a tough conference. You have Oklahoma and Texas and .... that's about it, Baylor is good now but that's on and off.

To say it's tough to recruit in Texas, well I guess it's not that tough, cause every Big 12 team has Texas recruits there's like a million Texas football players some of whom go on to play for teams outside of Texas and do well all the time, it's pretty stocked with talent.

The more I reflect on this, the more I'm starting to think it's not that wonderful however I'm officially done commenting on it until I see it in action, always want to be surprised and if he can help out our QB that'll be a big help but we're going to need some more WR's to make this work.

Funny you mention Mizzou and the Big 12...didn’t the Oklahoma State (9th place out of 10 in the Big 12) beat Mizzou in their bowl game?

Other Big 12 schools that won over SEC schools...
Texas beat Georgia
Baylor beat Vandy.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless you are a scumbag your friends and colleagues will prop you up and no one is going to say negative stuff. I'm sure Wilks had as much or more endearing things said by respected people when he was hired. Means nothing, bar is higher than people who know you respecting you.

Not trying to be a buzz kill just saying this guy has achieved nothing that would indicate he is a great HC so until proven otherwise my expectations match that.
The real point is their opinions mean about as much as the Kent somers of the world. The one thing seems apparent with KK is he is an x’s and o’s Guy. He will put pressure on opposing defenses. Of course we will need players that are capable of executing the offense. I respect your apprehensions. I have some as well . However, I’m going to cautiously optimistic rather than the other.

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
Don’t like it. Bring in Pagano to hold Kilff’s hand I’ll change my vote to neutral.

ReasonableMan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The real point is their opinions mean about as much as the Kent somers of the world. The one thing seems apparent with KK is he is an x’s and o’s Guy. He will put pressure on opposing defenses. Of course we will need players that are capable of executing the offense. I respect your apprehensions. I have some as well . However, I’m going to cautiously optimistic rather than the other.

The gameplan is good, we just need to execute... uh oh

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Funny you mention Mizzou and the Big 12...didn’t the Oklahoma State (9th place out of 10 in the Big 12) beat Mizzou in their bowl game?

Other Big 12 schools that won over SEC schools...
Texas beat Georgia
Baylor beat Vandy.

Mizzou sucks.

Vandy? Really?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

D. See C above.

I bolded my main point here. It's not necessarily that it's completely vertical, it's predicated on spreading out defenses to the extent that a zone is managed by the receivers, moreso than the defense. They practice on pre-snap reads what their individual assignment is going to develop into.

Here's a good article. https://www.theringer.com/2018/8/14/17685080/air-raid-offense-mike-leach-lincoln-riley

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Mizzou sucks.

Vandy? Really?

How many Big 12 schools are still playing..... Oh that's right, none.
I bolded my main point here. It's not necessarily that it's completely vertical, it's predicated on spreading out defenses to the extent that a zone is managed by the receivers, moreso than the defense. They practice on pre-snap reads what their individual assignment is going to develop into.

Here's a good article. https://www.theringer.com/2018/8/14/17685080/air-raid-offense-mike-leach-lincoln-riley

Should of just called it what it is, it's air Coryell in that offense the WR can adjust the route while they are running it based on how they are being covered.

It's essentially the same thing.

LoyalRam

All Star
Reaction score
I don't love it, but do like it. It's the hire the Cards needed to make.

Getting the right DC is the key for now. How bout Greg Williams?
I was going to say this the other day, but didn't want to be accused of trolling..lol. I like Gregg Williams as a DC, and I hope you don't hire him.:cheers:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like it. Glad to see a bit of a youth movement. Was worried we'd go after another older coach (with an older staff) which might bring short-lived success. Let's build something for more than a couple of seasons...

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Wilks had a run the ball up the middle offense.

KK will give other defenses something to think about.
So this is a fascinating, albeit obvious, perspective. Last year mike and Keim hired a head coach who wanted to run run run and installed McCoy. This year they hire a guy who wants to light up scoreboards with an air raid offense. Does the 180 degree flip flop evidence a lack of direction and desired philosophy in our front office? I’m not mad. Just thought it interesting.

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
So this is a fascinating, albeit obvious, perspective. Last year mike and Keim hired a head coach who wanted to run run run and installed McCoy. This year they hire a guy who wants to light up scoreboards with an air raid offense. Does the 180 degree flip flop evidence a lack of direction and desired philosophy in our front office? I’m not mad. Just thought it interesting.

A flashy pick that needed to be made by a GM who’s trying to save his job. I really hope I’m wrong and I’d gladly eat crow but my confidence in Keim is about as low as it can get.
At this point I’m just hoping he doesn’t give away all the amazing draft capital for a bunch of junk so he can add a bunch of air raid receivers and lineman.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Conrad, are you with/representing some organization in an official capacity, since you are "officially" done commenting on it. Just curious.

To me, it's kinda disheartening to read so much negative thoughts about this hire mostly from just a couple of people. It also gets tiresome. :(

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Where is the same poll

I have to disagree that air raid is being ran all over the nfl. Sure I've seen some plays from time to time that are typical air raid but to say air raid is all over the NFL is disingenuous. College doesn't mean spread anymore. College offense is loose enough I don't know what that means. If you mean RPO, fakes and trick plays yes the better teams weave that in to beat D's but to act like everyone in the NFL is stupid and college coaches have it figured out isn't true. The ones mixing it up and bring unconvential at times are doing well no doubt. There is a reason air raid isn't being used a foundation and it has nothing to do with coaching.

I don't know who the other two receivers are that we are going to line up that doesn't make the first and second read obvious. We don't have a stud TE to flex out. Can DJ pass block on our porous line?

I don't mind this hire for OC if the HC was also offense oriented and they could collaborate but I don't see this is a solid HC pick and is really a hail Mary. Much more than x and o to being NFL HC but I guess it's wait and see.

Oh, I agree this is a train wreck coaching decision that has cemented the Cardinals into being a laughing stock, do not get me wrong.

Just saying the NFL is going to more college type offensive scheme, and there is no denying that trend.

Getting back to the Cardinals, they really do put a lot of effort into destroying any semblance of respectability and success every time they get a little taste of it.

1998, 2010, and now 2018/2019.

Same Ol' Cardinals

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Getting back to the Cardinals, they really do put a lot of effort into destroying any semblance of respectability and success every time they get a little taste of it.

1998, 2010, and now 2018/2019.

Same Ol' Cardinals

100% disagree.

Since MB took over, things have changed for the better.

No denying that.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

I would use another word other than interesting.

But, hey, what do I know, the Cardinals have GREAT wide receivers on the roster, and some of the better pass blocking offensive linemen in the league.

Plus our defense is great against the run and getting off the field on 3rd down so teams won't be able to wear down our defense.

This is a slam dunk.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: