Potential defensive coordinators - my suggestions

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I disagree, there is a big difference WRT the player body types (traits and measurables) and skills...yes, you can line up in any shell, 34, 43, nickel, dime, etc, but at the end of the day, your base defense requires different types of players.

A 5 technique DE in a 34 (single or double gap responsibility) is drastically different than a 9 technique end in a 43 and different than the 7 technique end in the same defense on the other side.

Linebacker play, assignment, and requirements is equally different...

Can some of our players project from a 34 to a 43 position shift? Sure...Gunter, who is a 5 tech end (or tackle depending on the linage of the DC) would be too big for 7 or 9 tech and too tall be an effective 3 technique in a 43.

On the margins, this is true, but you're only playing your "Base defense" 25-35% of the time in today's NFL; mostly you're playing nickel packages.

Some alignments and responsibilities will make Olson Pierre look like a legit starter; others will make Robert Ndkeimdiche look like a solid starter (when healthy). But your core players — like Calais Campbell and Darnell Dockett — will excel is whatever scheme you use.

The preference comes down to whether you prioritize Benson Mayowa or Markus Golden, but these aren't high-dollar decisions that will make or break the unit.

The Kraken

Veteran
Reaction score
On the margins, this is true, but you're only playing your "Base defense" 25-35% of the time in today's NFL; mostly you're playing nickel packages.

Some alignments and responsibilities will make Olson Pierre look like a legit starter; others will make Robert Ndkeimdiche look like a solid starter (when healthy). But your core players — like Calais Campbell and Darnell Dockett — will excel is whatever scheme you use.

The preference comes down to whether you prioritize Benson Mayowa or Markus Golden, but these aren't high-dollar decisions that will make or break the unit.
Point blank: We do not have a 3 or a 7 and are in need of a 43 WILL LB for base downs (aka predominantly running/play action).

RN is a solid starter when healthy, the problem is he is a 5 tech and not a prototypical 3 (Warren Sapp is a 3, compare the body styles)...

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Point blank: We do not have a 3 or a 7 and are in need of a 43 WILL LB for base downs (aka predominantly running/play action).

RN is a solid starter when healthy, the problem is he is a 5 tech and not a prototypical 3 (Warren Sapp is a 3, compare the body styles)...

KJ Wright!

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I disagree, there is a big difference WRT the player body types (traits and measurables) and skills...yes, you can line up in any shell, 34, 43, nickel, dime, etc, but at the end of the day, your base defense requires different types of players.

A 5 technique DE in a 34 (single or double gap responsibility) is drastically different than a 9 technique end in a 43 and different than the 7 technique end in the same defense on the other side.

Linebacker play, assignment, and requirements is equally different...

Can some of our players project from a 34 to a 43 position shift? Sure...Gunter, who is a 5 tech end (or tackle depending on the linage of the DC) would be too big for 7 or 9 tech and too tall be an effective 3 technique in a 43.

You are right, but that’s also why the tendencies nowadays are to find players who can play in multiple schemes, so that they can stay on the field no matter what the coordinator calls. A 5-tech has to be able to play 3-tech, cornerbacks needs to be able to play various coverages and so on. To take your example, no, Gunter is not to tall to play the 3-tech, because it’s a matter of what the exact assignment is, and that assignment is tailored to his abilities. It’s just the way defensive calls has evolved.

The main idea is to confuse the offense, and it is simply too easy if the defense stays in one or two systems all game.

The Kraken

Veteran
Reaction score
When your assignment is to be a one gap penetrator in the B gap you have to get low enough to fire into the back field...That is why great 3 techs are shorter than 5 techs, who used (not so much today) had two gap responsibility...Again, I am talking about Base defense...

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
When your assignment is to be a one gap penetrator in the B gap you have to get low enough to fire into the back field...That is why great 3 techs are shorter than 5 techs, who used (not so much today) had two gap responsibility...Again, I am talking about Base defense...

Okay, then we are talking about two different things. I am talking about how base defenses are not actually base defenses nowadays, because there are no base defenses. It changes all the time.

sr7706

Registered
Reaction score
Guaranteed KK has a DC in his back pocket. He would almost have to. He's very well regarded and the names brought up, there are a lot of guys out there.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Give me an experienced coach who has been the de facto #2 on an NFL defence that has been consistently in the top 10 in all relevant categories over the past few years.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Okay, then we are talking about two different things. I am talking about how base defenses are not actually base defenses nowadays, because there are no base defenses. It changes all the time.

They of course change fronts and back end personnel but they have a base and both draft and add FA's to support this foundation.

Take a look at who we let go and acquired last season to move to base 4-3.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Gerald McCoy: 6'4", 300 lbs
Robert Nkemdiche: 6'4", 294 lbs
Darnell Dockett: 6'4", 293

I disagree with you about 7-techniques. Most NFL four-man fronts are going smaller on both end positions to help collapse the pocket on the QB. Look at the Dallas ends. Mario Addison (CAR) is listed at 254 lbs.

You just have to have enough bodies on the DL to have a solid rotation. I think we had enough DEs with Chandler Jones, Mayowa and Golden. I don't think we had enough DTs between Peters, Gunter, and injures to Pierre and Nkemdiche.

At linebacker the problem was that we only had 2 guys who were NFL players, and one of them (Buc) was put on the bench early in the season. Then we transitioned to a defense that put 3 off-the-ball linebackers on the field most of the time. Dumb.

The Kraken

Veteran
Reaction score
Gandhi...you still have to be gap sound, if you are in a base four front, and you are playing "over" your SDE is in a 9 tech, has the D gap, your 3 tech has the strongside B gap, your SAM fills the strongside C gap while the MIKE has the Strongside A, your NT lines up in a 1 tech or 1 I has weakside A, WILL LB has the B, and WDE lines in a 7 and has the C.

If its a 4-3 under, then it shifted to the weakside...

This is a base 4-3 defense.

The Kraken

Veteran
Reaction score
Gerald McCoy: 6'4", 300 lbs
Robert Nkemdiche: 6'4", 294 lbs
Darnell Dockett: 6'4", 293

I disagree with you about 7-techniques. Most NFL four-man fronts are going smaller on both end positions to help collapse the pocket on the QB. Look at the Dallas ends. Mario Addison (CAR) is listed at 254 lbs.

You just have to have enough bodies on the DL to have a solid rotation. I think we had enough DEs with Chandler Jones, Mayowa and Golden. I don't think we had enough DTs between Peters, Gunter, and injures to Pierre and Nkemdiche.

At linebacker the problem was that we only had 2 guys who were NFL players, and one of them (Buc) was put on the bench early in the season. Then we transitioned to a defense that put 3 off-the-ball linebackers on the field most of the time. Dumb.
Ok, I will give you your point on the 7s...and while I am old school and in a "under front" (my preference) I want a larger SDE for power running, I agree with you...it can be done.

I think Peters and the bunch mentioned are better 1 gap 5 techs...

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
They of course change fronts and back end personnel but they have a base and both draft and add FA's to support this foundation.

Take a look at who we let go and acquired last season to move to base 4-3.

I guess it depends on how you define “base defense.” They have various formations, such as the 4-3, that they use, but there is no pattern at all if they play from a 4-3-setup on first down, second or third down, or if they play it at all on one series, or if they use it on at least half the defensive snaps. If that is a “base defense”, then yes, people can call a 4-3-setup the base defense, and yes, then they acquire players that can play in a 4-3.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Gandhi...you still have to be gap sound, if you are in a base four front, and you are playing "over" your SDE is in a 9 tech, has the D gap, your 3 tech has the strongside B gap, your SAM fills the strongside C gap while the MIKE has the Strongside A, your NT lines up in a 1 tech or 1 I has weakside A, WILL LB has the B, and WDE lines in a 7 and has the C.

If its a 4-3 under, then it shifted to the weakside...

This is a base 4-3 defense.

I know, but it’s not my point. It is that while they might use those assignments on one play, they will use something different on the next play, and so forth. Yet, they can’t dress enough players to have everyone fit exactly into one assignment on one position, so they need to use players who can be deployed in different ways. So, it doesn’t matter whether a defensive coordinator is boxed as a 3-4- or 4-3-disciple.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Kk played for NE so there may be a NE connection. Is Romeo Crennel coaching anywhere?

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The best hire for defensive coordinator imo would be John or Chuck Pagano. In Chuck’s case, he brings valuable HC experience as well to help out a rookie HC.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Very curious on who it will be. As long as Bowles isn’t official with Tampa, holding out hope.