Freddie Kitchens

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Why not Freddie Kitchens as HC? If he and Williams get passed over in Cleveland could be a solid combo here. Hes been coaching for almost 20 years but he is still only 44 so still pretty young, Williams may be one of those guys that has been passed over enough to not ever get a HC opportunity. Just a though and they could be together here for quite a few years if all goes well.

The Kraken

Veteran
Reaction score
I hope we interview both of them...I have ZERO issues with Williams baggage...My only concern is he has been a 4-3 coach, but he has shown the ability to adjust to his talent level...

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I think Kitchens seems like a great person but HC? He will be fortunate to stay an OC.

He was with the Cardinals a long time...they would know his ability already.

The Kraken

Veteran
Reaction score
Kitchens has put in the work, cannot replace experience...I think if you follow Pederson and Nagy (and the like) you will see the common theme is that they were long time assistants vice lightning in a bottle type.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Williams puts a nasty D out there & I’m fine with that. I’d rather he be our DC, but I’m sure he can be a decent HC too.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Williams defenses are tenacious. A combo of him and kitchens would be much better than what we lived through this year. Ain’t gonna happen .

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely he was. But, that was a long time ago. Teams have moved on from that.

Wasn't he DC for 2010 Cards/Saints playoff game? If so, screw him... Ah screw him anyway!

sr7706

Registered
Reaction score
Kitchens name will look better and better once some of these names start to get hired with other teams...And quite frankly, we are going to have to offer a guy of his caliber as HC coach because none of the top candidates are coming here..

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Kitchens name will look better and better once some of these names start to get hired with other teams...And quite frankly, we are going to have to offer a guy of his caliber as HC coach because none of the top candidates are coming here..
Caldwell > Kitchens

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He was here before if he was good they would have him here already. I also like Caldwell.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

1. Who are these so-called top candidates?
2. How do you know they have no interest in the Cards?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Other teams are tweeting out about interviews, the Cardinals are not. We as fans may not like that, the media might not like that but it is probably a sound business decision.

Supposedly McCarthy turned down the Jets offer recently, so maybe the guy is ok with doing nothing this year and collecting a paycheck while sitting on his couch?

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Other teams are tweeting out about interviews, the Cardinals are not. We as fans may not like that, the media might not like that but it is probably a sound business decision.

Supposedly McCarthy turned down the Jets offer recently, so maybe the guy is ok with doing nothing this year and collecting a paycheck while sitting on his couch?

I like the new approach.

But I am addicted to this board right now..checking it every 5 minutes with hope that someone has some scoop!

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Didn't Whiz initially turn down a 2nd interview with us, only to change his mind. Maybe go back to McCarthy & offer him another opportunity to interview. Can't be too proud when you were lucky to be 3-13.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Didn't Whiz initially turn down a 2nd interview with us, only to change his mind. Maybe go back to McCarthy & offer him another opportunity to interview. Can't be too proud when you were lucky to be 3-13.
Other then Mitch I cant find a source that thius actually happened. I did find this.....

"Events Leading Up to Whisenhunt's appointment. Whisenhunt was back for a second interview - which, as planned (but don't read anything into it) spanned Friday afternoon and Saturday. His strengths are said to be (a) fearless play calling, (b) the development and utilization of "slash" type players like Randle El and Kordell Stewart and (c) belief in a strong running game. Along with Russ Grimm, Whisehunt remains in contention for the Pittsburgh HC job; however their list of candidates is said to have broadened to include the Packer DC (Tomlin), former Dallas HC and Pittsburgh OC Chan Gailey and (wow!) Mike Sherman."

http://azcardinal.com/07Whiz.htm

and this....

"Whisenhunt becomes the Cardinals' eighth coach since the franchise moved from St. Louis to Arizona in 1988. He was one of eight candidates interviewed for the job, but one of only two who got a second interview. The other was former Green Bay Packers coach Mike Sherman."

http://articles.latimes.com/2007/jan/15/sports/sp-nflreport15

and this.....

"
Kent Somers
The Arizona Republic
Jan. 12, 2007 12:00 AM

The Cardinals continued working through their short list of coaching candidates Thursday, interviewing former Packers coach Mike Sherman a second time and setting up a second interview with Steelers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt for today."

https://www.arizonasportsfans.com/forum/threads/kent-somers-says-sherman-still-in-running.84461/

But who knows maybe he turned a second interview down before actually accepting one? Only Whiz, MB, Graves and Mitch would be my guess.

sr7706

Registered
Reaction score
1. Who are these so-called top candidates?
2. How do you know they have no interest in the Cards?

Judging by the last few Cardinals coaching hires, they're not ones to go out right away and get their guy. If I am not mistaken, they have been last to hire their coach out of all the teams in need the last couple times. 2 of the top candidates, Eric Bienemy and Mike McCarthy are declining to interview with the Cardinals, even though that's not a big loss.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
But who knows maybe he turned a second interview down before actually accepting one? Only Whiz, MB, Graves and Mitch would be my guess.

Now i'm doubting if Mitch really knows. Here is a 9 page thread he started about how bad the Cardinals' process for the coaching search was and how a second interview was "absurd", but no mention of any turn down by Whiz. Mitch wanted Norm Chow

https://www.arizonasportsfans.com/forum/threads/2007-cardinals-the-hiring-process-is-a-joke.84486/#post-1216263

And here is the post hire Whiz thread and again no mention of any interview turndown.

https://www.arizonasportsfans.com/forum/threads/2007-cardinals-the-whisard-of-az.84568/

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose