Signal vs Noise

The Kraken

Veteran
Reaction score
*Sorry in advance, a coffee-fueled rant*

As the regular season was wrapping up, the writing was on the wall with Wilkes, and the #1 overall draft pick was being secured, I thought to myself, "well, at least we will be an attractive team for any coach"

...then the talking heads got into the mix...

Yes, we all have issues with our GM and wished MB did certain things differently, but a trip to any other team's message board will quickly show you that those kind of sentiments are universal.

The problem is everyone is a sports journalist now, anyone can publish, we look at bleacher report and fan sided as legit news sources (yes, occasionally they break news...but it's mainly fantasy looking for confirmation biased audiences). Some how, we have let these kind of publications and the geniuses over at ESPN and the like distort reality.

I live in San Deigo, I have seen a horrible owner up close, I have seen a terrible GM up close (AJ Smith was a horrible human being), we are not in that ball park...Have we made some bad moves as of late, ABSOLUTELY...but somehow the Jets are a better team for a coach?...

The Jets GM hired Bowles, surrounded him with crap talent and somehow his seat is colder than SK's?

-or- How is Tampa a better situation? How is Jason Licht not on the hot seat? Lovie Smith? Dirk Koetter? Jameis Winston, disgruntled players, etc...this is a better job? The Glazer are known for the patience!

-or- Denver, whose GM has absolutely sucked at player personnel decisions (except Manning) and has marched out a terrible team the last two years, hoping a journeyman QB can make them a contender.

-or- Green Bay, with an all-time, great but aging starting at QB, openly defies his coach, with huge holes on both sides of the ball is a better opportunity?

-or- Miami, intrusive owner, GM carousel, minimal talent, Ryan Tannehill is your "franchise QB"...absolutely should have the pick of the litter!

and finally, Cleveland...CLEVELAND is somehow a better job because Baker Mayfield "might" be legit...

Its all Signal vs Noise...and we let the media sway our opinions...look at the Rams, a few years ago Stan Kroenke was a terrible owner, the move, Jeff Fisher, Les Snead, fleece the Skins for draft picks (RGIII) and did NOTHING with them...and now they are the model franchise?

Signal vs Noise...we are in a good spot, we make the right hire, get the right staff, SK doesn't reach and makes solid moves this draft and signs quality players in FA, we will quickly turn this around...

I have faith!

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I’m not in the know, but to me it looks like MB wouldn’t fire SK barring some catastrophe. He seems to lean hard on SK

Maybe he knows more than we do about what was going on behind the scenes (BA influence?).

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Our GM might be fired next year. just saying.
And it hasn't been proved our front office isn't prone to making franchise-wrecking mistakes.

Will they have learned their lessons and do better in the future?

Or will they act like typical human beings and repeat their questionable moves of the recent past?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Our GM might be fired next year. just saying.
truth. but what does that matter?

There are countless examples of new GM's coming in and working with an existing coach.

honestly, the way MB likes to make "Cardinal Decisions"... it is likely the existing HC would have some input in who replaces SK if he is fired....Mikey likes getting input and making group decisions.
the coaches opinion might carry very little weight,...but I am sure Mike would ask

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Agree wholeheartedly with OP. Hell of a post.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think if Keim wiffs on this draft he should be fired. A near 100% failure rate in the first round isn't cool, especially if Rosen isn't the QB everyone thinks he is.

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Excellent post. "Change" for the better is possible. SK needs to "build the lines". ...And if he can't, then get the ego out of the way and bring in someone who can. Take a closer looks at the Colts if you need a blueprint.

Mark in SC :)

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't think you should put blame on the GM for failed first round picks when that pick is seen by almost everyone as being "the" pick. I. E., the Josh Rosen pick. I think just about everyone was on board with him being the right pick for us at #10. And, if, he fails, I don't see how in the world, you could put that on the GM.

But, people just want to "blame" some one.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
I don't think you should put blame on the GM for failed first round picks when that pick is seen by almost everyone as being "the" pick. I. E., the Josh Rosen pick. I think just about everyone was on board with him being the right pick for us at #10. And, if, he fails, I don't see how in the world, you could put that on the GM.

So a 20% success rate is good?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

But that’s just it, just because a bunch of fans, or publications, think someone is a good player doesn’t mean they are. A GM is someone paid to know better than fans and publications. That’s literally his job. So just because we all liked or acknowledged it was the “right” pick doesn’t mean it was. And I’m not even talking about 20-20 hindsight. The real determinants are (1) would other GMs have made the pick, or better yet would the good GMs have made the pick; and (2) are a disproportionate number of picks failures (in other words an inability to independently identify talent)? You don’t win the draft by having a bunch fans like the picks, you win it by picking the most impactful player.

ReasonableMan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Another 2018 count as a catastrophe?
I hope so. But I personally put a lot of 2018 on Wilks. Competent coaching gets us 6-8 wins. Keim wouldn’t look so bad if that were the case.

Bears, Rams, Seahawks (x2), and Raiders were all winnable games

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
I hope so. But I personally put a lot of 2018 on Wilks. Competent coaching gets us 6-8 wins. Keim wouldn’t look so bad if that were the case.

Bears, Rams, Seahawks (x2), and Raiders were all winnable games

I think a good coach (like Arians) maybe gets 6-8 wins out of the roster.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good stuff Kraken. MB thought that our HC opening was on of the best and I whole heartily agree. Our team isn't as bad as its record and there is parity in the NFL so a team can improve significantly from one year to the next. A lot is going on behind closed doors with the Cards HC search. MB is committed to turn this around and I believe he will.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
IMO the worst non move by Keim was not moving up to get Mahomes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BA had a lot of influence on personnel decisions. He was committed to Palmer and Stanton. He never was one to play any rookies. Keim want after,moved up, and got Rosen after BA was gone. We don't know what really happened behind closed doors especially the draft.

Reaction score
But that’s just it, just because a bunch of fans, or publications, think someone is a good player doesn’t mean they are. A GM is someone paid to know better than fans and publications. That’s literally his job. So just because we all liked or acknowledged it was the “right” pick doesn’t mean it was. And I’m not even talking about 20-20 hindsight. The real determinants are (1) would other GMs have made the pick, or better yet would the good GMs have made the pick; and (2) are a disproportionate number of picks failures (in other words an inability to independently identify talent)? You don’t win the draft by having a bunch fans like the picks, you win it by picking the most impactful player.

I thought some on here had determined that #joefan were just as smart as NFL GM's? Not saying you were one of them btw.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I agree. The people running a professional football team, are professionals.

But its football, it is not rocket science.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How do you know he didn't try, or that it was even an option?
Because KC traded up 17 spots to get in front of us and then Houston traded up 13 spots to get Watson. I remember being on here that day and people here were floored that we didn't try to move up ourselves to get either of these guys. Hell, Arians himself even said he wanted either of those guys but did nothing to try to get them. He just stood pat and took Reddick. https://cardswire.usatoday.com/2018...rick-mahomes-or-deshaun-watson-in-2017-draft/

“We thought last year sitting there (at No. 13) we were going to have a shot at Deshaun Watson and Patrick Mahomes,” said Arians on Arizona Sports 98.7 on Friday. “I loved both of them.”

He and Keim had to know that teams were trying to trade up and if not then they're even more out of touch than I thought. There are several articles on how the Cards really wanted Mahomes but apparently not bad enough.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018...-desperately-wanted-chiefs-qb-patrick-mahomes

https://www.revengeofthebirds.com/2...cardinals-love-patrick-mahomes-per-peter-king

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think staff is more important than HC in big picture. I hope we find a good candidate with a quality staff asap before assistants start getting nabbed up

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Because KC traded up 17 spots to get in front of us and then Houston traded up 13 spots to get Watson. I remember being on here that day and people here were floored that we didn't try to move up ourselves to get either of these guys. Hell, Arians himself even said he wanted either of those guys but did nothing to try to get them. He just stood pat and took Reddick. https://cardswire.usatoday.com/2018...rick-mahomes-or-deshaun-watson-in-2017-draft/

He and Keim had to know that teams were trying to trade up and if not then they're even more out of touch than I thought. There are several articles on how the Cards really wanted Mahomes but apparently not bad enough.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018...-desperately-wanted-chiefs-qb-patrick-mahomes

https://www.revengeofthebirds.com/2...cardinals-love-patrick-mahomes-per-peter-king

All those links mean nothing, and that is not what I am saying. It takes two to trade, who says they didn't try or that they were only interested in what other teams were offering. I mean are you going to offer two first and a third to move up one or two spots?

Just like I've seen people on here asking why we didn't give BB a second for Jimmy G, and that we are stupid. Sometimes you just don't get the call, all trades are not offered to all teams, they just aren't, and you can't be involved in every one of them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave