BA to Tampa Bay heating up?

OP
OP
Dan H

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
But he was still technically under contract for 2018? He signed a 4 year extension in 2015 with a 5th year option in 2019. If he retires, wouldn't the contract be frozen (2018 still open and 2019 an option year)? Or does the contract keep going through retirement?

I am over it.

Exactly this. He retired with a year plus the option on his deal. The way it works with players, their contract does not toll if they don't play. That's why the Raiders had to trade for Marshawn Lynch, for example.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Exactly this. He retired with a year plus the option on his deal. The way it works with players, their contract does not toll if they don't play. That's why the Raiders had to trade for Marshawn Lynch, for example.
If Lynch had been paid, his contract would have tolled. If Cards paid BA for 2018, I think his contract would toll, as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The word I’m hearing here in FL,
1. Arians will be hired, but there are conditions BA has requested that must be worked out.
2. Bowles will be the DC
3. There will be no compensation. BA left by mutual agreement.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
If Lynch had been paid, his contract would have tolled. If Cards paid BA for 2018, I think his contract would toll, as well.

Why would we pay BA in 2018 if he was retired?

The smoking gun here has to be that he was going to get fired (probably because he wouldn't change) and the Cards let him "retire". They fully intended on firing him, so either they really did fire him (got paid 2018) or because they were firing him they aren't entitled to/not asking for compensation.

The real story has to come out at some point.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
The word I’m hearing here in FL,
1. Arians will be hired, but there are conditions BA has requested that must be worked out.
2. Bowles will be the DC
3. There will be no compensation. BA left by mutual agreement.

Best case scenario for TB.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Somers is both well sourced and very solid. this puts things to rest in my mind
No doubt. But it doesn't answer the question: If BA was in such good graces and wanted to coach again...and the Cards were looking for a new HC, why not just rehire Bruce?

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
No doubt. But it doesn't answer the question: If BA was in such good graces and wanted to coach again...and the Cards were looking for a new HC, why not just rehire Bruce?
I think it’s now pretty obvious that BA was asked to make staff changes, refused & then both parties agreed to part ways.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
How is the league screwing the Cards? If AZ had the option on 2019 and didn't exercise it, that's on them, not the league. It's obvious, MB sincerely thought BA was finished.

if it were a player we would still own his rights. The contract does not "toll" in a retirement year. At least that is my understanding of it.
an extra pick would be good...but there aint no point in trippin on it. let BA go do his thing.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it’s now pretty obvious that BA was asked to make staff changes, refused & then both parties agreed to part ways.
If so, this raises the question of MB fixing what wasn't broke & risking the shake-up of the entire franchise (which appears to be precisely what happened).

Either that or BA was being totally unreasonable - if I had to guess, I'd be prone to side with BA (because he's the one modern-day coach we won with).

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
If so, this raises the question of MB fixing what wasn't broke & risking the shake-up of the entire franchise (which appears to be precisely what happened).

Either that or BA was being totally unreasonable - if I had to guess, I'd be prone to side with BA (because he's the one modern-day coach we won with).

I suspect that Michael wanted Amos gone due to our abysmal Special Teams and BA said no thanks. And Keim wasn’t about to force his buddy BAs hand.

It wasn’t that we wanted BA to retire or his health, but rather an unwillingness to replace his cronies. I don’t think Michael gives a damn about the culture as long as we’re winning.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I suspect that Michael wanted Amos gone due to our abysmal Special Teams and BA said no thanks. And Keim wasn’t about to force his buddy BAs hand.

It wasn’t that we wanted BA to retire or his health, but rather an unwillingness to replace his cronies. I don’t think Michael gives a damn about the culture as long as we’re winning.

I disagree with this. I think culture is very important to MB. He has been trying to change the culture and implement a system like the pats or steelers have...one in which the culture is winning, consistently, year after year, regardless of players.

he has failed so far. But most teams have failed to copy pitt and NE. it starts, IMO, with a consistent identity...at least for the Pitt style. That team has played the same brand of football for the last forty years.

IMO I think this is why a younger coach is important. It takes time to establish a team identity and culture of winning and the best place to start is with a consistent coach....changing coaches every few years makes it near impossible.

one are where the Bidwills have been consistent is in their demand for stronger character. Players who beat their wife dont stay on the cardinals....players who break the law and show no remorse for it do not stay on the cardinals...no matter how good they are. Thats why you dont see the cardinals picking up players like Ray Rice or Reuben Foster even though we are in dire need for those guys. One could say, with the Cardinals, the culture is in fact more important than winning.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Kent Somers‏Verified account@kentsomers 3m3 minutes ago
Apparently, many Cardinals fans love Bruce Arians a lot more than they did when he left AZ. Don’t remember many lamenting his departure.

True. However, after Wilks and current trend for HC...he is still better.

I was ready for him to leave because he wouldn't change (Amos Jones, etc) but excited at the thought of getting compensation for him from the Bucs (not happening).

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
if it were a player we would still own his rights. The contract does not "toll" in a retirement year. At least that is my understanding of it.
an extra pick would be good...but there aint no point in trippin on it. let BA go do his thing.
A contract tolls, if the team pays/honors it...that's my understanding. Did the Cards pay BA for 2018?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
A contract tolls, if the team pays/honors it...that's my understanding. Did the Cards pay BA for 2018?

I would guess they did not,...since he "retired"... which is why I was also guessing the contract didnt toll, so we should still own his rights.
I guess maybe the dates mean more than I thought and we just owned his rights through this season regardless.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose