BA to Tampa Bay heating up?

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah...go ahead and compare this Bucs team to that one. Makes sense.
You said asking for a high pick would "Ruin his chances to continue his career". Yet the same team, with the same ownership, previously gave up an enormous haul off draft picks and cash for a coach, and then immediately found success.

But your notion that BA and SK won't ask for much because they like Arians... sure, that really makes sense because that's how billion dollar businesses really work.:doi:

...dbs

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bruce & Jameis?????????? Old school vs knucklehead. Did Bucs re up knucklehead?

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Smoke:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BA is awesome...my favorite HC of all time.

He will immediately win anywhere he goes.

The problem with BA and what kept him from truly being one of the greatest is being stubborn. I respect his loyalty but as a leader, you are responsible for holding everyone accountable. When you don't do that, you lose effectiveness. Amos Jones is one example but there are many more.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
BA is awesome...my favorite HC of all time.

He will immediately win anywhere he goes.

The problem with BA and what kept him from truly being one of the greatest is being stubborn. I respect his loyalty but as a leader, you are responsible for holding everyone accountable. When you don't do that, you lose effectiveness. Amos Jones is one example but there are many more.
Likely means Bowles would go with him if no other HC offers...

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
If a coach retires their contract is still guaranteed? I can understand if they are fired but walking away is a diff matter.
IDK? Im wondering if that was the case why would they still get compensation for him if another team hires him?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Something feels weird about the BA thingy.

Here you have a guy - who did good and is supposedly in MB's and SK's good graces - who retires because of health issues only to say a year later "I feel good, Cleve or TB, hire me."

No thought of returning to the Cards (despite the fact that they need a head coach).

What am I missing here? Assuming he's at odds with Cardinal top mgt and ownership, why is that? What's the actual story?

Without any additional info to go on, my #1 Cardinal HC candidate is BA.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
ok now answer my second question.

Staff? Don't know. But most assistants have shorter contracts and it's now been a year. So even if they were for some, probably not anymore. Especially since some were already working elsewhere; Betcher, Kitchens, Amos..etc

Also Arians has officially been interviewed
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/05/buccaneers-announce-bruce-arians-interviewed-today/

Bruce Arians interviewed for the Bucs’ head-coaching vacancy today, the team announced.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Something feels weird about the BA thingy.

Here you have a guy - who did good and is supposedly in MB's and SK's good graces - who retires because of health issues only to say a year later "I feel good, Cleve or TB, hire me."

No thought of returning to the Cards (despite the fact that they need a head coach).

What am I missing here? Assuming he's at odds with Cardinal top mgt and ownership, why is that? What's the actual story?

Without any additional info to go on, my #1 Cardinal HC candidate is BA.

My guess...he was asked to make changes to staff and he wouldn't, so he retired. BA is loyal and stubborn (lots of blind spots). I don't doubt that he was mentally spent as well but coaching is in his blood and a year away was enough.

I would also take him back as long as Amos Jones didn't come with him.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You said asking for a high pick would "Ruin his chances to continue his career". Yet the same team, with the same ownership, previously gave up an enormous haul off draft picks and cash for a coach, and then immediately found success.

But your notion that BA and SK won't ask for much because they like Arians... sure, that really makes sense because that's how billion dollar businesses really work.:doi:

...dbs
Gruden simply pushed Tampa over the hump. Dungy got them there, which was quite the feat considering the cast of clowns he had QBing that team. And Dungy was the only team to handcuff the Greatest Show on Turf, a team that averaged 32 points per game. He held them to 11 points and nearly beat them in the NFC Championship game, with Shaun King at QB. Gruden simply came in and pushed the team over the hump.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Well crap. BA signed a 4 year contract in 2015 with an option year for 2019 (club option - how does that work if someone retires?).
If we lose out on KK and no compensation for BA...:bang:

You must be registered for see images
Rick Stroud‏@NFLSTROUD

If the #Bucs want to hire Bruce Arians, they may or may not need to compensate the Cardinals or at minimum get permission to interview him. But some think they won’t since 2019 was a club option year. In any case, Cards owner and GM are close to Licht.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Well crap. BA signed a 4 year contract in 2015 with an option year for 2019 (club option - how does that work if someone retires?).
If we lose out on KK and no compensation for BA...:bang:

You must be registered for see images
Rick Stroud‏@NFLSTROUD

If the #Bucs want to hire Bruce Arians, they may or may not need to compensate the Cardinals or at minimum get permission to interview him. But some think they won’t since 2019 was a club option year. In any case, Cards owner and GM are close to Licht.

He retired before 2018. Meaning he still had a year on his contract before the option year.

Feel ya on the potential of getting screwed two ways.