What is the plan?

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
we seem to have drafted a few solid guys (others are iffy) and have something to build on, but we are still a long ways away from even the playoffs.

Will we have to keep nailing the draft? Will we finally convince a decent free agent to sign here? How will this turn around?

I don’t have a lot of confidence in them continuing to have enough drafting ability to develop a team, and I’m not sure some game changing free agent would ever sign with the suns anytime soon.

It seems like the suns usually miss prospects every couple drafts, and sign free agent left overs.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Faults aside, Booker and Ayton are a good start.

They need a point guard to make things happen. My top targets would be Kemba Walker (unlikely, but you never now) in free agency and Jrue Holiday (if Davis moves on) via trade. As a backup, I'd try to get one of the Nets two guys or hope Rubio is somewhat reasonably priced. I'm also high on Morant.

In addition, I'd do everything I could to get a power forward who can both space the floor and protect the rim. These guys are hard to find, but I don't need him to be a big scorer or a star; just someone who can augment Ayton's strengths and minimize his weaknesses.

My Keepers: Booker, Ayton, and Bridges

Guys I'd Like to Keep Around: Oubre, Jackson and Holmes

Trade Options: Warren (and Jackson if value presents itself)

Everyone else is fairly irrelevant. It would be nice if Melton or Okobo develops, but I'm not counting on it.

I know it's a trending take, but I agree it is time to get value for Warren. He's a really good player, but not a good fit with our stars.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Faults aside, Booker and Ayton are a good start.

They need a point guard to make things happen. My top targets would be Kemba Walker (unlikely, but you never now) in free agency and Jrue Holiday (if Davis moves on) via trade. As a backup, I'd try to get one of the Nets two guys or hope Rubio is somewhat reasonably priced. I'm also high on Morant.

In addition, I'd do everything I could to get a power forward who can both space the floor and protect the rim. These guys are hard to find, but I don't need him to be a big scorer or a star; just someone who can augment Ayton's strengths and minimize his weaknesses.

My Keepers: Booker, Ayton, and Bridges

Guys I'd Like to Keep Around: Oubre, Jackson and Holmes

Trade Options: Warren (and Jackson if value presents itself)

Everyone else is fairly irrelevant. It would be nice if Melton or Okobo develops, but I'm not counting on it.

I know it's a trending take, but I agree it is time to get value for Warren. He's a really good player, but not a good fit with our stars.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I'm assuming a large part of that low net rating for Warren is that he makes for a third player that is bad on defense? You would think offensively he would do pretty well with those two in the lineup, but I can understand the poor fit defensively. Warren is certainly our highest value wing out of him, Oubre and JJ (has the best combination of stats and contract situation) and thus he would be the most likely to net us a solid return.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Right now the greatest need besides a player or two is simply time. And the worst thing is there's no guarantee that time will solve our problems but we won't know until these guys have matured some. We're in a tough spot to say the least.
Exactly, we are currently trying to compete with a whole bunch of guys that won't even enter their prime for another 3-5 years. It will be vital next year that we have at least a couple solid veterans in their prime added to this roster (to include a PG obviously) if we have any hopes of becoming a winning team anytime soon.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm assuming a large part of that low net rating for Warren is that he makes for a third player that is bad on defense? You would think offensively he would do pretty well with those two in the lineup, but I can understand the poor fit defensively. Warren is certainly our highest value wing out of him, Oubre and JJ (has the best combination of stats and contract situation) and thus he would be the most likely to net us a solid return.

I think defense is a big part of it. Also, he is not a willing passer, which means when he is in alongside two other big scorers other players are less involved and the ball moves less. He's also stuck playing power forward a lot, which means we are undersized every time he is in the game. I guess that's pretty much true all the time though.

What it comes down to for me is that this team is still built like an accumulation of assets rather than as a functioning team. You have two offensive-minded stars...That means everyone else needs to be defensive-minded and a willing passer.

Warren is fantastic in certain areas and very lacking in others. Unfortunately, the things he is lacking in make him a bad fit for this roster; not to mention the fact that 3 of his 5 best teammates play his natural position and are a better fit.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Maybe but I think it's more that when he's not engaged offensively (which happens far too often) he brings nothing else to the table. He can be shut down on the perimeter by a mediocre defender and they can help off of him with little concern when he's in zombie mode.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I think defense is a big part of it. Also, he is not a willing passer, which means when he is in alongside two other big scorers other players are less involved and the ball moves less. He's also stuck playing power forward a lot, which means we are undersized every time he is in the game. I guess that's pretty much true all the time though.

What it comes down to for me is that this team is still built like an accumulation of assets rather than as a functioning team. You have two offensive-minded stars...That means everyone else needs to be defensive-minded and a willing passer.

Warren is fantastic in certain areas and very lacking in others. Unfortunately, the things he is lacking in make him a bad fit for this roster; not to mention the fact that 3 of his 5 best teammates play his natural position and are a better fit.
If he can't net us a good PG than maybe he could net us a good 3&D PF. We could use the size down low on defense and on the boards and a player that is more catch and shoot minded on offense.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If he can't net us a good PG than maybe he could net us a good 3&D PF. We could use the size down low on defense and on the boards and a player that is more catch and shoot minded on offense.

Yeah. The good thing is that I don't think I'm being a homer when I say he should have good value to the right team. He's a fantastic scorer and has now developed a three point shot. He's on an excellent contract. I could see him being a huge asset for several teams...the Suns are just not one of them unfortunately.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Warren goes to another team we are going to see him explode because he will fit within an offensive scheme and play even better with a point guard. I think I would rather use a draft pick other than the Suns current first round pick.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If Warren goes to another team we are going to see him explode because he will fit within an offensive scheme and play even better with a point guard. I think I would rather use a draft pick other than the Suns current first round pick.

I think it's okay if he looks great elsewhere as long as the Suns improve. Just because he can make another team better, that doesn't mean there's an easy path to hi making the Suns better.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Time or waiting is not a plan. This team will implode before it develops as currently constructed. Booker is already yelling at the coach on tv. If this garbage continues Igor will completely lose the team if he hasn't already.

We cannot go into next season with a pissed Booker, a demoralized Ayton and a coach who has lost his team. Bold moves are needed and needed fast.

Based on this seasons play signing an average PG and drafting another project is not going to cut it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's okay if he looks great elsewhere as long as the Suns improve. Just because he can make another team better, that doesn't mean there's an easy path to hi making the Suns better.

If the right trade is there I'm not opposed to doing it. However, the Suns should realize he is going to be very good player for an opposing team (as he can be for the Suns) within the right coaching scheme.

I can only imagine him on a Rockets or Warriors team.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Time or waiting is not a plan. This team will implode before it develops as currently constructed. Booker is already yelling at the coach on tv. If this garbage continues Igor will completely lose the team if he hasn't already.

We cannot go into next season with a pissed Booker, a demoralized Ayton and a coach who has lost his team. Bold moves are needed and needed fast.

Based on this seasons play signing an average PG and drafting another project is not going to cut it.

I agree a lot with what you are saying but even an average point would help the Suns immensely. The Suns need someone to run the offense and make the right pass which is not happening now.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I guess my point on Vonleh and Warren is that the Suns need to worry less about perceived value or other teams and more about their own team construction.

Warren is going to make some team very happy one day...it's just probably not going to be the Suns.

There is a possibility Bender becomes a serviceable player and blooms late like Vonleh...it's just not going to happen on the Suns.

Ayton and Booker need a 3 who plays great defense, hits open shots, and moves the ball. Bridges and Oubre are excellent candidates for this.

Ayton and Booker need a 4 who does those things and can also match up against bigger physical teams. That guy is not on the roster. Vonleh seems like one of the top candidates where we actually may have a path to acquire him.

Obviously, they need a competent point guard and the right coaching staff too, but I feel like that has been discussed once or twice on this board recently. :)

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I agree a lot with what you are saying but even an average point would help the Suns immensely. The Suns need someone to run the offense and make the right pass which is not happening now.

I agree with you. Even an average point guard would make the Suns MUCH better.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score

I agree that it will help. My fear is that an average PG will move us from 20 wins to 25. Then what?

Since starting, Melton is averaging 3.27 assists per game and 6.7 ppg. I have a hard time believing an average PG that adds 5 assists and 12 ppg is going to turn this team around.

The team is a lot worse than I expected prior to the start of the season.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I agree that it will help. My fear is that an average PG will move us from 20 wins to 25. Then what?

Since starting, Melton is averaging 3.27 assists per game and 6.7 ppg. I have a hard time believing an average PG that adds 5 assists and 12 ppg is going to turn this team around.

It’s not just about stats with a point guard. Being a competent floor general that can communicate effectively IMO is much more important. Melton hasn’t shown he can do that.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They are worse than I expected but not really by that much. I expected close to 30 wins which is looking high but we have an easier remaining schedule than we've played to date so I don't think we'll miss it by much.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

As @Chaplin noted it is more than assists. The Suns need someone to run the team effectively.

Also an average point guard can help determine where the problem is... whether it is a lack of talent or a coaching issue. If the problem is coaching, we need to find this out before next season.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OK. We can try to trade for Rubio now. Utah would probably be willing to try to salvage something from his impending departure anyway. It give us Bird rights to sign him.

Anderson, Melton (or Okobo, whichever they want) plus whatever picks are necessary (Our top 8 protected pick otherwise it becomes the Bucks pick and three seconds).
for

Rubio, Udoh (not playing now), and Sefolosha (only getting 11 minutes per game)

Just trying to put something out there that makes sense for both teams. Anderson's contract is a huge negative that is hard to gauge. Melton for Rubio is a fair trade. They are going to lose Rubio and Melton is a young player they can develop. We have to give up the pick to move Anderson, who is necessary in the deal in order to match salaries.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose