David Johnson is the 2nd highest paid RB in the NFL?

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I knew it was a big number, but holy sweet geezus. Right behind Todd Gurley.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah. He is easily still a top 5 back.

He is the same player he was two years ago. We just had incredibly incompetent coaches, and the worst oline in history that did not allow him to display it.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He is the same player he was two years ago. We just had incredibly incompetent coaches, and the worst oline in history that did not allow him to display it.

I am not entirely convinced of that. At times even when he got passed the line of scrimmage he didn't seem like the same player. I hope it's a combination of this horrid line and him still needing one more off season.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
In a season of disappointments David Johnson may be the biggest.

The one thing David Johnson can hang his "DJ" hat on is that he is a one year wonder.

There you go.

He will be 28 next year, looks like he lost all his explosiveness, and quickness by making sure he made impressive work out videos.

So, far I am not impressed with Johnson, and personally I think his 2015 season was a fluke.

This year he looked like a 30 year old Edgerrin James, and at least James was able to eek out 1000 yards for the Cardinals.

One would hope A LOT of players are humbled by this season.

Johnson is at the top of the list, but what does he care? He has his money.

He will lean down this offseason and be fine. DJ is the least of our problems.

I disagree. I put him near the top of our worries.

He has had one good year, and another year where he thrived as a compliment back and weapon.

Since 2015, he has been hurt, and shown to have regressed skill wise. Got two more years of Johnson as the very least, and if it were not for excess cap room going into next season he would be an even bigger issue.

Last edited:

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

The one thing David Johnson can hang his "DJ" hat on is that he is a one year wonder.

There you go.

He will be 28 next year, looks like he lost all his explosiveness, and quickness by making sure he made impressive work out videos.

So, far I am not impressed with Johnson, and personally I think his 2015 season was a fluke.

This year he looked like a 30 year old Edgerrin James, and at least James was able to eek out 1000 yards for the Cardinals.

Eh, I dunno - besides a terrible OL and terrible OCs - they were asking him to play the game in a way that doesn't fit his strengths. They wanted him to primarily be a between the tackles, truck people down RB...he isn't that. And when you focus on being that, you get away from finding the lanes that your cutbacks afford, and you get away from running around people when you can.

DJ is a great RB just like the Honey Badger is a great FS - they are great when you utilize them correctly given their strengths.

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I am not entirely convinced of that. At times even when he got passed the line of scrimmage he didn't seem like the same player. I hope it's a combination of this horrid line and him still needing one more off season.

Same, I am hoping he's still the same player, but I've had my doubts, and it's not just because of the incompetent coaching staff, he did not look the same running the ball when he had space. Hopefully, he can come back to form tho, and he's not done.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Eh, I dunno - besides a terrible OL and terrible OCs - they were asking him to play the game in a way that doesn't fit his strengths. They wanted him to primarily be a between the tackles, truck people down RB...he isn't that. And when you focus on being that, you get away from finding the lanes that your cutbacks afford, and you get away from running around people when you can.

DJ is a great RB just like the Honey Badger is a great FS - they are great when you utilize them correctly given their strengths.

Much like the Patrick Peterson's argument on why his numbers are not reflecting his "greatness", David Johnson can make that excuse that he "wasn't used right" for last season.

In 2019, if he is still what we saw last year, I think it is safe to say he is a one year wonder.

At this point, the evidence is pointing to the fact that Arians did know how to coach up players, and now that he is gone, those same players, at their base level, are not as good as one would think.

pmacLean

Veteran
Reaction score

There you go.

snip
snip
snip.

As pitiful as the oline was when James was running, that oline, in relative terms, was all-NFL compared to what we had this year... James wouldn't have eked out 400 yards behind the disaster Johnson was saddled with ... add in the pitiful play calling and you get what we (and he) got...

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
As pitiful as the oline was when James was running, that oline, in relative terms, was all-NFL compared to what we had this year... James wouldn't have eked out 400 yards behind the disaster Johnson was saddled with ... add in the pitiful play calling and you get what we (and he) got...

I am acknowledging this is very arguable, and complete guessing at something that would never happen.

But James was a master of making chicken salad out of chicken poop. I think he would have had more yards than Johnson running the ball this year.

James' line was horrible. I saw him break 4 tackles to get a 1/2 yard gain on a run once. Great run, guy was a beast.

But it is what it is, point is Johnson is not where he needs to be, and that is on Johnson himself.

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
DJ showed flashes, Edge just looked plain slow. He will bounce back with better coaching, just like Gurley did.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Much like the Patrick Peterson's argument on why his numbers are not reflecting his "greatness", David Johnson can make that excuse that he "wasn't used right" for last season.

In 2019, if he is still what we saw last year, I think it is safe to say he is a one year wonder.

At this point, the evidence is pointing to the fact that Arians did know how to coach up players, and now that he is gone, those same players, at their base level, are not as good as one would think.

Uh, so you are implying Johnson was a product of being 'coached up' when he was the most versatile offense weapon in the NFL... that's funny lol

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

The eye test doesn’t agree with your assertion that he’s the same player of two years ago.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

There you go.

He has had one good year, and another year where he thrived as a compliment back and weapon.

Since 2015, he has been hurt, and shown to have regressed skill wise. Got two more years of Johnson as the very least, and if it were not for excess cap room going into next season he would be an even bigger issue.
I think he looked worse this year but I don’t think he’s a problem and certainly not as concerned as you seem to be. I’ll bet he has a bounce back season with the right coaching. Though I don’t expect a repeat of 2015.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

There you go.

Can he still catch the ball out of the backfield and be a mismatch...yup, we saw that.

Can he still be effective in the red zone...yup, we saw that.

Can he handle the beating of running up the middle a billion times after his injury...yup, we saw that.

Is a 20% increase in production based upon better scheme and design a probability, sure.

He is an offensive weapon. He can be used in a variety of different ways. He is an asset for a young QB. Even if we overpay him for the next three years, Rosen will be on his rookie deal, so it won't be detrimental. Much ado about nothing IMO.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
He will lean down this offseason and be fine. DJ is the least of our problems.
He doesnt need to lean down. If anything he was too lean this season. He used to have an upper body to match his lower. He def looks lighter and thats not conducive to shedding tacklers the way he used to in the past. Hopefully he'll be back in the gym building his powerful physique back to where it was.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
He doesnt need to lean down. If anything he was too lean this season. He used to have an upper body to match his lower. He def looks lighter and thats not conducive to shedding tacklers the way he used to in the past. Hopefully he'll be back in the gym building his powerful physique back to where it was.
lol that is funny. Oh well. Regardless, I think he can do something to regain a bit of his explosiveness.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The eye test doesn’t agree with your assertion that he’s the same player of two years ago.

My Eye test does agree with it.

The 5 times he got room - literally there was only like 5 times all season he looked exactly the same. How the coaches were so damn incompetent they couldn't figure out out to pass it to him other than on a screen (that 90 percent of the time the defense could easily read) but maybe once all season is reason enough they should have all been fired.

Either you are remembering him better than he actually was, or you are unfairly blaming him for constantly running into a brick wall of tacklers.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson