Warriors @ Suns 12-31-18

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He has such little experience. He’s 20 but he didn’t even play all last year. I bet as his confidence grows the game will slow down and he’ll start seeing some of those opportunities. That said he currently seems to be moving in the direction of a shoot first type PG.

Melton has played well considering the above.

This may be one of the reasons the Suns are giving him every opportunity to succeed as a starter especially since he is only on a two year contract. Okobo is on a four year contract. The Suns need to find out if he is part of their future more quickly.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Melton has played well considering the above.

This may be one of the reasons the Suns are giving him every opportunity to succeed as a starter especially since he is only on a two year contract. Okobo is on a four year contract. The Suns need to find out if he is part of their future more quickly.

My concern is that Melton really hasn't shown any progress since he came up from the G-League. Of course, I'm not sure whether that's Melton, the coaching or some combination of both...

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
That's the whole point- you look at different intervals. They lost what, like 10 games in a row before they went on a little winning streak? Going 0-10, then going 5-5 is improvement. Multiple top picks don't matter. Chriss was a bust, Bender was a bust, jury is still out on JJ. Len was a bust. There is no point in talking about three or four busts from the last few years in the context of this year. Those picks have literally zero to do with this season.

We get it man, we all wish we had 30 wins now and that Chriss and Bender were All-Stars. Sadly, we live in reality, and in reality, we are just not a great team that can be consistently competitive.
Another all-or-nothing. It has become the mantra of the apologists. There is a wide range of NBA normalcy between Chriss & Bender and All-Stars. It defines a major reason why the Suns have been losers for almost a decade. Lack of balance. Lack of understanding of how to put a competitive team together.

Fans deserve better.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Maybe? Adding the first and tenth pick in the draft has helped us but I don't think it's that simple. We were the worst team last year and we've added a new coach and at least 8 new players; continuity is a huge deal in the NBA and we have none. Maturity and experience is also a key factor in succeeding in this league and we're lacking there too.

We can go 10 deep (Booker, Ayton, Melton, Warren, Bridges, Okobo, Jackson, Oubre, Holmes and Bender) with players that average 22 years old, I just don't know how anyone can ignore how incredibly young and inexperienced we are. And because of that youth, I don't know how anyone can truly identify where the fault lies when they are pointing out supposed coaching errors.

Everything you say is true, Steve. But it isn't an excuse. It is an indication of how unprofessional our NBA team has become.

It is like blaming the loss of life on the Titanic on the iceberg rather than the professionals who were steering the ship.

Maybe we should start calling him and his crew Robert "Titanic" Sarver. :)

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
In my eyes its night and day from last year. Bookers not hitting a good percentage but he is getting good looks. Warren and the rest are getting good looks in this offense. Last year they won when Booker with off, it was all iso ball. But I guess its all about the record you have so the Suns must be regressing.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
... on offense. But his defensive vision is good; he's probably the best on the team at jumping into passing lanes. That suggests that he has room for improvement on the offensive end too.

Yes. I like him a lot defensively. As for his vision on defense possibly translating to improved vision on offense, I am not sure. I have honestly never thought about that, but it would make sense.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
In my eyes its night and day from last year. Bookers not hitting a good percentage but he is getting good looks. Warren and the rest are getting good looks in this offense. Last year they won when Booker with off, it was all iso ball. But I guess its all about the record you have so the Suns must be regressing.

Please tell me you are not content to settle for an even worse record just because the style of ball looks prettier, albeit even less effective. Yes, there is less iso ball...until the fourth quarter of games when it devolves back into iso ball with Booker who now suddenly can't shoot (perhaps because he has less legs under him due to a combination of the injuries and having to be the primary ball handler and playmaker) and who has become a turnover waiting to happen.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
(perhaps because he has less legs under him due to a combination of the injuries and having to be the primary ball handler and playmaker) and who has become a turnover waiting to happen.
Hell the Suns didn't have a PG last year unless you want to count Useless. Last year teams where tanking big time and the Suns won against some of them. But the Suns are not ready for prime time, stop with the negativity for a change.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Melton's future is backup pg. he doesn't have the instincts for passing.

i believe Melton, Bridges, Oubre, JJ, and Holmes defense is the reason the Suns are competing better.
that lineup would be small-ball, but could be one of the best defensive benches in the league

Last edited:

shazaam6

Censor this
Reaction score
I don't know how you can guard the Warriors when they're making their shots. Give them space and they make it; be anywhere in their vicinity and they'll run into you and draw a foul. It's not possible to guard a good shooter when you also have the burden of dodging all of the contact they are attempting to initiate.

Nailed it.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
“They’re a lot better now than they were early,” said Golden State coach Steve Kerr, whose Warriors blasted Phoenix by 20 points back in October in Oakland. “They didn’t show it tonight, but watching them on tape getting ready for this game, dramatic improvement.”

Kerr praised Phoenix’s top three scorers – Devin Booker, TJ Warren and rookie 7-footer Deandre Ayton. The trio scored 69 of the Suns’ 109 points Monday night.

“Warren and Booker give them two really difficult guys to cover on the perimeter and Ayton is a real load,” he said.

https://amp.azcentral.com/amp/2458390002?__twitter_impression=true

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Was happy to see Ayton get to the charity stripe 8 times. Wish he could’ve shot a higher percentage against smaller defenders.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Hell the Suns didn't have a PG last year unless you want to count Useless. Last year teams where tanking big time and the Suns won against some of them. But the Suns are not ready for prime time, stop with the negativity for a change.

Here you actually kind of make my point for me. Last year's team had more success than this year's team.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
“They’re a lot better now than they were early,” said Golden State coach Steve Kerr, whose Warriors blasted Phoenix by 20 points back in October in Oakland. “They didn’t show it tonight, but watching them on tape getting ready for this game, dramatic improvement.”

Kerr praised Phoenix’s top three scorers – Devin Booker, TJ Warren and rookie 7-footer Deandre Ayton. The trio scored 69 of the Suns’ 109 points Monday night.

“Warren and Booker give them two really difficult guys to cover on the perimeter and Ayton is a real load,” he said.

https://amp.azcentral.com/amp/2458390002?__twitter_impression=true

Nobody is denying that they are better now than they were earlier in the season. The point I am trying to make is that this is simply because they were about as horrendous as it gets earlier in the season under Igor, and Igor shouldn't get credit for the team being better than it was earlier in the season under Igor but still worse than last year's less talented, just as young, just as ever-changing team. And on top of that, Kerr's quote confirmed that the Suns "didn't show" last night the improvement that Kerr had seen on the tape...a true indictment of this team's coaching if ever there was one, in my opinion.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Was happy to see Ayton get to the charity stripe 8 times. Wish he could’ve shot a higher percentage against smaller defenders.

It looks to me like he is a slow jumper. He's fast enough moving laterally, but I don't see any vertical explosiveness. I think part of the reason he's so tentative in the paint is that it takes him too long to load up for a jump, and by that time the defense has adjusted. I have no idea whether gaining explosiveness is one of those things that comes from getting stronger, or whether the extra muscle instead makes it more difficult.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
It looks to me like he is a slow jumper. He's fast enough moving laterally, but I don't see any vertical explosiveness. I think part of the reason he's so tentative in the paint is that it takes him too long to load up for a jump, and by that time the defense has adjusted. I have no idea whether gaining explosiveness is one of those things that comes from getting stronger, or whether the extra muscle instead makes it more difficult.

Good point, I see the same thing but thought it was more of him thinking about his next move, jumping, passing or even shooting. I think he will be more explosive when his moves become more instinctive.

I think we are watching the early evolution of one of the best players to ever play the game.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't see that. When he wants to be he can really be fast on the jump. He just doesn't jump every time. I think he is used to rebounding based upon position, size, and those long arms.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Explosiveness absolutely can be improved. Power cleans, box jumps, etc.

I doubt Ayton has spent much time in the weight room to this point.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
The most encouraging thing to me i that there were a few occasions where earlier in the year he'd pass out for a 3, and in this game, he kept the ball and tried to force the issue.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The one at roughly 1:30 off the rebound is one I clearly remember, there was at least one more but I guess he missed the shot because it didn't show up in this package.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The most encouraging thing to me i that there were a few occasions where earlier in the year he'd pass out for a 3, and in this game, he kept the ball and tried to force the issue.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The one at roughly 1:30 off the rebound is one I clearly remember, there was at least one more but I guess he missed the shot because it didn't show up in this package.

He was more aggressive when he got the ball. Still didn't get the ball enough.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
That is being proven by his lack of success of getting jump balls to start the game, even against shorter opponents.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That is being proven by his lack of success of getting jump balls to start the game, even against shorter opponents.
Except that jump balls at the start of the game have little to do with anything. I don't recall him having a jump ball otherwise, so I am not concerned about that.
On that note, they should just have the home team start the 1st and 4th quarters with the ball, and forgo the jump, imo.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
5 wins in 11 games? That's something to be proud of? C'mon really...that's what it comes to? Sub 500 ball ? And if you look at the schedule it's 5 wins in 20 games. Can't cherry pick to fit your narrative

He didn't say it was something to be proud of, he said something is happening. Seems like it to me? A four game win streak is a pretty big "happening" in a season that otherwise hasn't had any consecutive wins, and the team seems less dispirited and more competitive. Hopefully from here on out it will take only 10-12 games to accumulate 5 wins, as opposed to the 29 games it took to get the first 5.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Jump balls are a lot more about quick reactions and timing than they are about actually jumping.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton just isn't conditioned. He should be putting down some dunks instead of soft attempts. You can see he is winded constantly, huffing and puffing. And he seems he sweats a lot, not sure if he's just a heavy sweater.

The jump ball issue, there's not an issue. He can jump if he wants to. There was one lob where he went wayyy up there to get it, I think it was the wizard game.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson