Time to trade David Johnson

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Apparently, this board is filled with non-verbal communication experts. :shrug:

disintereseted= having or feeling no interest in something

Except when you are disinterested in something it can manifest outwardly....

when he runs the ball, it looks like he's not interested in running the ball, lacks passion etc. I'm not necessarily saying we should trade him because we pretty much can't but I wasn't a fan of giving him a new contract until he could show durability and the ability to replicate his previous success but what is done is done.

Last edited:

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
disintereseted= having or feeling no interest in something

Except when you are disinterested in something it can manifest outwardly....

when he runs the ball, it looks like he's not interested in running the ball, lacks passion etc. I'm not necessarily saying we should trade him because we pretty much can't but I wasn't a fan of giving him a new contract until he could show durability and the ability to replicate his previous success but what is done is done.

Should he run with reckless abandon in a crap season and risk injury? Don’t you think he knows more than us how fudged up the offense is right now including the ridiculous Oline he is supposed to run behind? Fitz isn’t putting up his predicted game play either should we trade him too? Let’s face it the offense and more specifically the coaching and play calling all season has sucked so badly how can anyone be properly evaluated? I think personally he has no real reason to go all out and risk HIS body and career for an incompetent coaching staff that clearly doesn’t know what they are doing! So no we shouldn’t trade him we should get a coaching staff that knows how to use our assets effectively.

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Should he run with reckless abandon in a crap season and risk injury? Don’t you think he knows more than us how ****** up the offense is right now including the ridiculous Oline he is supposed to run behind? Fitz isn’t putting up his predicted game play either should we trade him too? Let’s face it the offense and more specifically the coaching and play calling all season has sucked so badly how can anyone be properly evaluated? I think personally he has no real reason to go all out and risk HIS body and career for an incompetent coaching staff that clearly doesn’t know what they are doing! So no we shouldn’t trade him we should get a coaching staff that knows how to use our assets effectively.

risk his body? i mean the dude is making millions and millions of dollars injured or not, his family is taken care of for life. he has looked less agile, runs tepid, less explosive compared to his earlier seasons.

OP
OP
K

KYCardFan

Veteran
Reaction score
He is just not tough enough to be a 20 carry back, he wants to play wide receiver. He misses so many holes its not funny (And granted there arent many), last week he ran up the backside of tackle on a toss sweep, instead of cutting it hard up the field, had blockers and leverage, should have been a 20 yard plus gain. He just runs soft, and his 3.6 YPC is near the bottom of league. Having a crappy O Line is no excuse to run like a sissy.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He is just not tough enough to be a 20 carry back, he wants to play wide receiver. He misses so many holes its not funny (And granted there arent many), last week he ran up the backside of tackle on a toss sweep, instead of cutting it hard up the field, had blockers and leverage, should have been a 20 yard plus gain. He just runs soft, and his 3.6 YPC is near the bottom of league. Having a crappy O Line is no excuse to run like a sissy.

Yeah... a 225 LB "sissy" who squats over 500 LBS. :rolleyes:

And his average per carry is DIRECTLY related to O-line play.

P.S. 20 carries a game is yesterday's football. How many touches are a better gauge and they've flexed him out less than 40 times so far.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You listen to any and all offers for any player. If the trade will make the team better, you consider it.

DJ is not a special back and he clearly isn't running hard right now. Touches...carries...who cares. My eyes tell me all I need to know. We can blame many things but first and foremost it should be DJ.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

Can you site your source where David Johnson wants to play wide receiver exclusively?

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yeah... a 225 LB "sissy" who squats over 500 LBS. :rolleyes:

And his average per carry is DIRECTLY related to O-line play.

P.S. 20 carries a game is yesterday's football. How many touches are a better gauge and they've flexed him out less than 40 times so far.

That's nothing to sneeze at, but he may even squat more than 500. In my powerlifting days in the 80's, I lifted in the 181 class & squatted 500. It's not outside the realms of possibilities that some Linemen (not ours of course) can squat pretty close to 1000 lbs.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No one is trading for his contract with production this season anyway so kind of a goofy unrealistic idea anyway!

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ouchie sorta addressed this in another thread where he stated that DJ doesn't look like the DJ from 2016. Lost a little explosiveness IIRC was his point and it looks like that to me as well. He still has above average moves and speed but just not quite like before.

Get him an NFL Oline and he will be worth his pay IMHO. Some see timid and I see a lack of cohesiveness because the Oline changes every week and yes that does make a difference.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Who are you going to start at RB if you trade David Johnson? It's weird that people can hate Keim, when this is just the type of move that Keim would make: If someone doesn't meet an absolute value level, move on without a replacement.

I think we've probably seen peak David Johnson. I don't know that he can be better than we saw in 2016, or even as good. What I do know is that he's better than what we saw this season, and we've seen it in flashes.

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We can't and should not trade DJ, but it is just another example of Keim's bad moves.

He paid him like he played lights out in a contract year. Had he not done that we'd likely be getting DJ signed for a lot less and had more cap space to maneuver.

The thing with RBs is you should only be giving them big money in a non-contract year when they have played next level consistently for two or seasons. DJ had a great rookie year, but the fact remains there have been many RBs who flashed and then sputtered. Kiem got all antsy and pulled the trigger too quick. Also, it isn't a rare thing for even 2nd and 3rd string RBs on a good offense behind a a good line put up starting RB stats when the #1 goes down. You just don't put a ton of money into an RB unless they are without a doubt irreplaceable.

Maybe DJ is the best RB in the league but if our team can't utilize him to get elite production then it doesn't warrant elite paydays - not to us. SK gets rolled quite a bit with his "key player" contracts. If former players are to be believed perhaps we have to pay them early and too much to keep them around because many of the players don't like the org.

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Who are you going to start at RB if you trade David Johnson?

I don't want to trade DJ, that would be silly. But DJ and Chase had basically identical YPC, so it's not like we would just play without a RB. One can argue we didn't use DJ effectively or our line was poor at run blocking, but if Chase took DJs snaps this year it's not like we would be in any worse of a position.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don't want to trade DJ, that would be silly. But DJ and Chase had basically identical YPC, so it's not like we would just play without a RB. One can argue we didn't use DJ effectively or our line was poor at run blocking, but if Chase took DJs snaps this year it's not like we would be in any worse of a position.
Of course we would have, because a worse player would be taking Edmonds’ snaps...

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Edmonds showed flashes but he is also tiny and one hit away from out for the season or forever! He is a good change of pace back not an every down back imho.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Edmonds showed flashes but he is also tiny and one hit away from out for the season or forever! He is a good change of pace back not an every down back imho.
This argument is bad. DJ is also one hit away, as we saw just last season.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
last week he ran up the backside of tackle on a toss sweep, instead of cutting it hard up the field, had blockers and leverage,

I was a proponent of extending DJ

I do think the offensive mess-- both scheme and o line -- has impacted DJ

but I noticed this as well. its like his instincts as a RB have disappeared

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like David Johnson but I would have invested that money on the offensive line

So much starts up front on offense and defense we really need to address this big time next offseason.

Rebuilding is going to be a process I didn’t expect us to fix everything in one offseason and no one should have.

We need an offensive line in the worst way