Who here wanted us to draft Lamar Jackson?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But we had no shot at him but we did have a shot at Jackson, Mahomes, and Watson. I'm not sold on Rosen at all. To me, he's Jake Locker 2.0. He makes 1 or 2 plays a game but otherwise, he's meh.
Sounds like Trubiscuit.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This thread has a lot of knee-jerk reactions. I remember articles the first season of baseball expansion in 1998 as well saying Diamondbacks fans would have rather had the Devil Ray's because their season was going so much better. Really, Rosen is the guy, they have to build around him, and it is horribly unfair to judge him with this coaching staff and supporting cast.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
I like Jackson and glad to see him doing well.He still has much to work on but is improving on the job.That said I like Rosen and think he will be fine when his supporting cast is upgraded from Semi-Pro to NFL standards.In all fairness he has a OLINE consisting of backup players/rookies etc,poor WR corps and no real dual threat TEs.He is surviving and is probably learning a rough lesson and should only help in the future.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Let’s be real here LJ is still struggling to throw the ball. He may develop but I still have serious doubts!!!

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Unfair comparison as RGIII was ruined by Shannahan. RGIII had great numbers his rookie year(65.6% comp %, 20 TD's to 5 INT's, 102.4 rating) but Shannahan kept on playing him despite a bad knee and he's yet to recover from that.

So how is that unfair. Ok, let's say Shannahan ruined him but he still threw a better ball than Lamar Jackson and he still could not prosper after people got tape on him and he could no longer scramble and you cannot be a franchise QB if you do not learn how to throw a good ball and read a defense because running will get you hurt eventually and that does not make one a long term solution and deserve the title of franchise. Here is one for you, Vince Young was a bigger better version than Lamar Jackson his rookie year, and if one denies this they just are practicing selective amnesia. Now Vince is mentally wacked and Jackson is not. Jackson may have the goods and I had nothing against drafting him but did not think we had a shot getting Rosen and we did. I still prefer a pocket QB and it's up to the Cards to surround him with proper talent to reap the goods. Maybe Lamar morphs into a Randall Cunningham type and learns how to throw better but it's way too soon to say we screwed the pooch not drafting Lamar

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I liked Jackson for this offense because of his running / scrambling ability with the Swiss Cheese OL I knew we would have. Jackson is very similar to Tebow in terms of their college success (both won Heisman Trophies) and early success in NFL. Can Jackson evolve into a better passer? With coaching, sure I guess.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They weren't wrong... The knock on Jackson, was that he wasn't a pure passer..
Rosen has 14 int to 10 TD's and can't run to save his life.

And they aren’t right either. Jackson has played 6 games and will likely be out of the league within 4-5 years the way he plays the game. The team he is on from top to bottom is well above the team Rosen has around him. Including the coaching staff. To compare the two at this point and claim the people that wanted him are correct is just beyond silly...

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He throws the ugliest football in the NFL. Reminds me of a trick play where a WR throws a pass after a fake end around jet sweep. The more success he has early the more likely he will get destroyed.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I seem to remember there was at least a few here.

You were right.

For the record, I was neither pro or con LJ...... But hindsight being 20/20... Why the hell wouldn't we draft a mobile QB?...Given the fact that no one in the organization for the last 20+ years has any idea how to put together an offensive line.

I haven't completely given up on Rosen, but if we don't give him an O-line...His max ceiling is a poor mans Carson Palmer.

Since day 1 I wanted Lamar Jackson, and still think he was the best guy to draft for us since he would have been available without trading up (not that trading up to get Rosen cost much).

Water under the bridge now. I do not fault the Cardinals for going after Rosen, I just would have stayed and taken Jackson.

A lot of football and career to go for all the QB's but I was not a fan of Mayfield, and he looks to be the best of the bunch.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I prefer my QBs to be able to throw a football better than they can run it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I do to.

I prefer an organization that can put together a functioning offensive line, at least once in 20+ years as well.

Truths:
1. Cardinals cannot construct an offensive line.
2. Cardinals cannot find tight ends.
3. No matter how is kicking they are going to suck the minute they put on an Arizona Cardinals jersey.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What were the trade hauls for Mahomes and Watson?

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I haven't completely given up on Rosen, but if we don't give him an O-line...His max ceiling is a poor mans Carson Palmer.
I'm hoping for a poor man's Drew Stanton at this point. Carson was amazing. I don't know of Rosen will ever be compared to him.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
The ripping of Jackson is plain out stupid. The kid is learning on the job just like all the rookie QBs.Some are having early success while others on different situations.Jackson improved every year in college and is a smart kid and willing worker.As for being out of the league in 5 years that can happen too any player due to many factors.Fran Tarkenton lasted 17 years,Mike Vick a long time.Randall Cunningham did too.How many pocket QBs didn't last a long time in the league.Jackson and Rosen will be fine .

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may have mentioned a few times.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This sets us up for Bridgewater and Lamar Jackson, which is exactly what I want!

That means that Teddy will not be back then. I would sign him to a 1 year deal as a stop gap while our 1st rounder (Lamar Jackson) sits for a year.

1.Lamar Jackson, QB *
2.Josh Rosen, QB *
3.Connor Williams, OT
4.Baker Mayfield, QB *
5.Calvin Ridley, WR

*Trade up

I said in another thread I'd love Teddy on a one year prove your healthy deal while drafting Lamar Jackson. It's a win-win for both. He plays well, he gets a big payday next year somewhere and we have our QBOTF ready. He doesn't, you throw Larmar to the fire.

OP
OP
S

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The smart move would have been to move up for Mahomes two years ago...if you are using hindsight

I'm trying to keep it somewhat current... If I lived in the past...we could talk about passing on Brady for 6 rounds. :p

And for Shane... I think you're missing the narrative... I'm not boldly saying that Jackson is/will be a better NFL QB than Rosen... Just that he would have made our team better, given our ongoing O-line issues.... Are you going to really argue that had Flacco not been injured, they would have the same or better record??

Or are you saying that Rosen is better than Flacco?

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
My friends all said I was crazy for thinking Baker Mayfield would be the best qb of the class.

When we moved up for Rosen I was pleased, but in the back of my head I thought staying put and selecting Lamar Jackson would have been a solid move...He was riskier than all of the other qbs except for Josh Allen IMO...I thought Jackson’s upside was really high.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
I seem to remember there was at least a few here.

You were right.

For the record, I was neither pro or con LJ...... But hindsight being 20/20... Why the hell wouldn't we draft a mobile QB?...Given the fact that no one in the organization for the last 20+ years has any idea how to put together an offensive line.

me. I wanted to take a flier on Teddy Bridgewater and then draft Lamar Jackson.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose