Fitz: players want Wilks back

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Do you think he's serious? Is he putting a line in the sand here--retain Wilks, or I retire? Or is this just PC interview speak?

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ian Rapoport:

However, sources insist no firm decision from owner Michael Bidwill has been communicated and that all options are on the table. If Wilks does return, he would be expected to make significant staff changes, which he would be willing to do. As the final coach hired during the cycle last year, that hurt his ability to find viable coaches.

And clearly there are issues on the roster that have made it difficult.

The results have not been there and Bidwill will be watching how players react during the final two games before making his call. If they get blown out and don't show effort, it will be telling.

Fitzgerald already knows what his decision would be.

"I love Wilks," Fitzgerald said. "Great dude. We all play hard for him. That's the team -- not me alone -- speaking on it."

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Larry Fitzgerald makes public pitch for Steve Wilks

Fitzgerald texted to Ian Rapoport of NFL Media support for Steve Wilks, who is widely regarded to be on the way to a one-and-done tenure in Arizona.

We all would want him back,” Fitzgerald said. “I love Wilks. Great dude. We all play hard for him. That’s the team — not me alone — speaking on it.”

Rapoport contends that no final decision “has been communicated” regarding Wilks, despite mounting claims that Wilks will be gone, and that G.M. Steve Keim will remain.

Wilks has won three of 14 games, but it would be easy to excuse the performance on a dearth of talent. Which could make it harder to excuse Keim for what’s happened to the team, especially to cap a year in which he spent time in jail after pleading guilty to extreme DUI.

Here’s the reality: No team should fire a coach unless it’s fairly certain an upgrade is available. Given that it was the Cardinals who identified Wilks as the best option a year ago, it could be hard to trust their judgment so soon after admitting a mistake in 2018.

Some chatter has emerged that, if Wilks is fired, the team could hire Todd Bowles, if he’s fired by the Jets. Bowles served as the defensive coordinator in Arizona under Bruce Arians before getting the head-coaching job in New York, making him a known quantity for the Cardinals.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We are a sorry a$$ franchise. For as long as Wilks is on our sideline, I'll be rooting for another NFL franchise that gives a $hit about their fan base.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Did Larry Fitzgerald graduate in Political Science from University of Phoenix? Asking for a friend.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Larry is just being the loyal player that he is. He is the ultimate team player and buys into any system that we have here.

There is no way Wilks is liked or respected in the locker room by all players.

I agree. Watching them on the field, you can see that many have given up.

Reactions: PJ1

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yeah I watch games still (not sure why). But if wilks is retained and loses his first two games next I’ll likely find better ways to spend my weekends. He might be a great guy, and people like working for great guys. But that doesn’t mean he doesn’t suck at coaching or prepping a team from the pulpit. And that’s all that matters, so sorry Larry if I take your comments with a lot of grains of salt.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Ian Rapoport:

However, sources insist no firm decision from owner Michael Bidwill has been communicated and that all options are on the table. If Wilks does return, he would be expected to make significant staff changes, which he would be willing to do. As the final coach hired during the cycle last year, that hurt his ability to find viable coaches.

And clearly there are issues on the roster that have made it difficult.

The results have not been there and Bidwill will be watching how players react during the final two games before making his call. If they get blown out and don't show effort, it will be telling.

Fitzgerald already knows what his decision would be.

"I love Wilks," Fitzgerald said. "Great dude. We all play hard for him. That's the team -- not me alone -- speaking on it."

I think Fitz was watching the other team and mistook them for the Cardinals.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
see ya wilks! my advice stay as a def coach not hc I do wish wilks luck in the future though.

if ESPN article is true makes my xmas better!

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This coaching staff has to go. If Larry is drawing a line in the sand it's time to let him go too. Love Larry. Always will. I understand at this stage in his career doesn't want to start over with ANOTHER staff. I get it. However, Larry is not the future. This coaching staff sucks!

Last edited:

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the questions remain:

Does MB promote from the existing staff to save money?

Does he retain any of the asst coaches and force them on the new HC to save money?

Does Keim go also?

Do we trust the FO to select a good HC this time around?

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Fitz and all he has done for the Cardinals but a 15-20 million dollar slot WR...….who wants Wilks back tell me its time to hang it up Fitz.
Broadcast booth or network analyst bound.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose