Cardinals mulling sweeping changes: GM Steve Keim could join Raiders, head-coach search likely

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Cardinals mulling sweeping changes: GM Steve Keim could join Raiders, head-coach search likely

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-could-join-raiders-head-coach-search-likely/

Drinking

• Arizona Cardinals ownership is mulling sweeping changes for 2019, league sources said, with general manager Steve Keim a strong candidate to join the Raiders front office, should his time in Arizona come to an end.
Drinking in Vegas? Who knew? Or will know? What happens in Vegas...

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1st pick & decent cap space next season. If you had to pick a time to clean house & hopefully attract the best & brightest, this would be it.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The only HC that Keim brought in was Arians, and that was a pretty good hire by anyone's standards. Wilks was NOT brought in by Keim. Michael wanted a young Christian-like leader of men, not another bourbon swigging, trash talking Arian's type coach. Well, he got his wish. And we are all seeing how that worked out.
& you have evidence of this (source?) - it's not speculation?

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
:bang:

You are making statements. Please back them up with examples and evidence. Most anyone in position to judge drafts with expertise has said the Patriots work the draft better than any team ever has. Moving down for value at every opportunity. They are the masters of Free agency acquisitions.

Really? Mel Kiper. That makes it factual?

I give.

Well, I suppose Mel Kiper is one of those in position to judge that you wrote about.

Let’s go back five years (excluding this year) to see how they have drafted. In those five years they have made 40 selections. 10 of those players are still with the team, though three of them rarely plays while the others get regular playing time. With the 7 first- or second rounders they have had over that period, only one remains on the team (and they didn’t trade anywhere on the board to get him).

I haven’t checked their free agency-acquisitions, but judging by their drafts, I wouldn’t say that they works the draft better than anyone else, or that they are getting value for all their picks.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure if you want Kingsbury, you will need to offer him a HC job. I doubt he is leaving USC for less than that.
Consider that if an NFL team wants K K for HC or OC they will have to buy out the USC contract. Do you do that for an OC. Rumor has it with a $5 million clause.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's not difficult to take a team and turn it into a winner in one season in the NFL, yet here we are, terrible again.
Why didn’t you express this sentiment earlier in the debate so we would all not to stop bothering to read anything else you said?

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Hiring a new GM that's bad will set this team a lot farther back than hiring a bad HC.

Arguably one of the worst teams to ever grace a NFL field.

Sure you could make the case that you could go all the way back to undisputed worse NFL team of all time, but this organization is starting from rock bottom.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If you want to be a HC in the NFL, OC in the NFL is better than USC OC.
Not necessarily. He is currently positioned to be the next coach of USC which is one of the premier college football programs in the country. Is he really going to risk that for an OC job in the pros where he may get tagged by a different organization who sucks to try and resurrect their franchise? He can be awesome as an OC at USC and still get a HC offer in the NFL.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not necessarily. He is currently positioned to be the next coach of USC which is one of the premier college football programs in the country.

This is the situation that is difficult for me to analyze. If K K is successful at USC with those shiny new toys, does USC fire Clay Helton . The other logic I imagine is that no matter what Helton is fired after next season and USC did not want to lose K K as their H C in waiting to be anointed HC in 2020. Lynn Swann AD screwed up and extended Helton to 2023 and gave him a $15 million buyout. There was no competition for Helton but Swann , rookie AD, painted himself into a corner. Now K K has a $5 million buyout.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This is the situation that is difficult for me to analyze. If K K is successful at USC with those shiny new toys, does USC fire Clay Helton . The other logic I imagine is that no matter what Helton is fired after next season and USC did not want to lose K K as their H C in waiting to be anointed HC in 2020. Lynn Swann AD screwed up and extended Helton to 2023 and gave him a $15 million buyout. There was no competition for Helton but Swann , rookie AD, painted himself into a corner. Now K K has a $5 million buyout.
USC will fire Helton once Kingsbury is settled in and familiar with the program. Two years at the most.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson