Per Woj - Suns waiving Rivers

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess it is official now. The Suns waive Rivers.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kokoskov was just asked for his perspective on why Rivers was waived, and he literally couldn't provide a coherent answer. It was like listening to the public defender from My Cousin Vinny.

Maybe he is having trouble translating Trade Cluster(beep) from his language to ours.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Anderson was also about moving BK's salary too, so its pretty much a wash. We traded Chriss for Melton basically.

He's played in 3 games and a total of 16 minutes on the season, so this is completely unfair and means nothing...

But Brandon Knight currently has a -5.31 PER.

I didn't even realize PER could be a negative number!

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
The one that stings is Chandler, just given away.

The Anderson could be okay-ish given that we have Melton, just have to see what ceiling truly is.

Since we were going to have capspace there was no way we were going to use Chandler's expiring deal as trade bait anyway so it does not matter that we waived him.

The plan clearly is to move Anderson and the Milwaukee pick for an expiring to open up more capspace and if required decline Jackson and Oubre along with Bender and Daniels also expiring.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Since we were going to have capspace there was no way we were going to use Chandler's expiring deal as trade bait anyway so it does not matter that we waived him.

The plan clearly is to move Anderson and the Milwaukee pick for an expiring to open up more capspace and if required decline Jackson and Oubre along with Bender and Daniels also expiring.

Whatever "plan" they may have had went out when they fired the GM days into the season. I don't think there is a plan at the moment. Not saying the world is falling, but I think Jones and Sarver are likely running this team 50/50 right now and I don't think Jones is experienced enough or Sarver is smart enough to have concocted much beyond "don't let more water spill over the bulkheads".

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This trade might end up being a win for us, who knows what Oubre has in store, however, it is strange to me how teams have deals hit a MASSIVE snag that really should throw the whole thing out... then shrug and make the deal anyway.

We obviously didn't care much about Oubre but still made the deal without what, you'd think, was the main reason we were doing it.

It's like the Cavs/Boston thing last year. It blew my mind that Cleveland went ahead with that deal even after finding out Thomas was severely damaged goods. They had every reason to ask for MUCH more from the Celtics, especially since it was their asset the rest of the league had just found out was almost worthless... instead, they did it anyway.

But, the Cavs have one of the worst owners in the league... and... well... yeah...

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Two of our three highest paid players are not with the team and the third is glued to the bench.

It works out to 45 million dollars this season for a grand total of 82 points...Ouch!

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

To bring in whom? That would be an awful lot of cap space for a team that has not signed a top level free agent in 15 years.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
This trade might end up being a win for us, who knows what Oubre has in store, however, it is strange to me how teams have deals hit a MASSIVE snag that really should throw the whole thing out... then shrug and make the deal anyway.

We obviously didn't care much about Oubre but still made the deal without what, you'd think, was the main reason we were doing it.

It's like the Cavs/Boston thing last year. It blew my mind that Cleveland went ahead with that deal even after finding out Thomas was severely damaged goods. They had every reason to ask for MUCH more from the Celtics, especially since it was their asset the rest of the league had just found out was almost worthless... instead, they did it anyway.

But, the Cavs have one of the worst owners in the league... and... well... yeah...
Sure the initial deal was that we were getting Brooks and when he was pulled from the trade it fell apart. However, Memphis was only wanting to do it so they could get Oubre. While he wasn't our initial target he is clearly a good assett and we felt good enough about him to pull the trigger on the trade for him. The fact that they gave into what I assume was Rivers' wishes to be cut loose so easily would suggest that Rivers was never what we were after. It was ultimately a combination of two things, getting rid of a player that REALLY didn't want to be here and getting an assett and solid player in return.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sure the initial deal was that we were getting Brooks and when he was pulled from the trade it fell apart. However, Memphis was only wanting to do it so they could get Oubre. While he wasn't our initial target he is clearly a good assett and we felt good enough about him to pull the trigger on the trade for him. The fact that they gave into what I assume was Rivers' wishes to be cut loose so easily would suggest that Rivers was never what we were after. It was ultimately a combination of two things, getting rid of a player that REALLY didn't want to be here and getting an assett and solid player in return.

Seemed like both parties wanted none of each other, Suns/Rivers.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This is the problem with the "that expiring had value" argument. We want the cap space this summer, so it had value to us. Chandler could have been used in trade for a player we really want to keep, but that would have been in place to free agency this summer, so it would have to be a really good player. There are a lot more free agency options this summer than there are trade options now.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Check out @wojespn’s Tweet:

This f'ing dumpster fire of a team. Un-f'ing-believable

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Austin Rivers sucks this year and apparently has a bad attitude. They needed to make the salaries work. And he'd basically be taking Crawford's minutes which I am, surprisingly, not OK with.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
About the buyout. If Rivers only gave $650 thousand back in the buyout, this is much less than I expected.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So he was due to make $12 million. He got $5 million for his new contract. Again there has to be some motivation for both sides to do it so lets say this ends up with Rivers getting a max of $13 million out of the buyout so anything over that goes back to the owner.

Buyout was probably in the 8-10 million range.

Combine that with the 3.2 million for Oubre this is a net savings of around 3 to 4 million dollars for Sarver

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
So he was due to make $12 million. He got $5 million for his new contract. Again there has to be some motivation for both sides to do it so lets say this ends up with Rivers getting a max of $13 million out of the buyout so anything over that goes back to the owner.

Buyout was probably in the 8-10 million range.

Combine that with the 3.2 million for Oubre this is a net savings of around 3 to 4 million dollars for Sarver

Sorry, maybe im missing something. Where is Rivers getting $5 mil from or are you speaking of someone else?

Also, salaries are prorated. Rivers has already been paid for x (I can do the math if you need) days of the season from the Wizards. Ariza has been paid x days of the season from the Suns. Basically, the Suns owe Rivers around $8 mil.

Add whatever this buyout would be (according to that report), which is odd since he is on waivers until tomorrow at 5PM ET. Perhaps there is some incentive not reported he is waiving? Plus whatever they already paid Ariza, plus what they owe Oubre the rest of the season.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
They tried to move Chandler for over a year. He had a huge salary--so no, he wasn't "moveable".
And there may be teams that want Rivers but not at that salary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Because they don't have a real GM to negotiate trades.
Who was moveable. Chandler? No. No one was taking his salary.
Rivers. Come on. Was anyone going to trade anything for Rivers. He was an expiring, which is what we wanted, his expiring contract. We have that. We just don't have him. Fine.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson