Trevor Ariza to Washington for Kelly Oubre and Austin Rivers.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because the salaries had to match to trade Ariza.

Basically it seems the suns wanted a replacement for Ariza. Brooks was their first choice because he had a low dollar contract for 2 more years. Oubre was the fallback plan.

If this really was the goal, then the thought behind the move is pretty idiotic. They have three young 3s... there was no need to replace the old 3 with another one.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
And now there are rumblings that Memphis will sign Rivers. After all this -- the Suns get Oubre and the Grizzlies get Rivers.

Most bizarre series of events regarding a trade that I've ever seen.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If this really was the goal, then the thought behind the move is pretty idiotic. They have three young 3s... there was no need to replace the old 3 with another one.
If you really believed you needed to move the old three, yes. This team is better with Oubre than with Ariza IMO. Plus they have an asset going forward. I thought Rivers might be more valuable.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's reported that Rivers will be signing with Memphis. What just happened?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am so glad Ariza is gone. Even more so after the above comments.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is wrong

In the original deal Memphis gave Washington 2nd round picks.

It is a combination of things, the Suns would probably rather have had Dillon Brooks since his rookie contract goes on longer and Washington might have initially not been willing to trade Oubre and Rivers for Ariza either since they were trying to get 2nd round picks on top of Ariza by involving Memphis.

In the final deal it was Washington who took the loss, not the Suns.

We must be having two different conversations. I am just saying that they didn't end up with either player they initially traded for. Not about who wins or loses the trade.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So, looks like there's only two of us on the keep Oubre, get rid of Jackson bandwagon. I'll have to watch him closer. Perhaps he is not as good as I think he is.
If this is a who do we keep question it comes down to this for me:

Willing to trade oubre for pg with some potential

Willing to JJ for pg that’s terrific (even if means JJ in package)

Trading JJ for just pg or guy with upside has the feeling of DJ for Roby. Desperate trades rarely play in your favor.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's back to a buyout according to this article but who knows.

If he has already agreed to a contract it would have to be a buyout since he hasn't been waived yet.

My guess is the buyout was dependent on the contract from the new team.

So if he gets x then the buyout is y

I don't see any other way this makes any sense.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...pected-to-agree-on-contract-after-suns-buyout

If Rivers agrees to a buyout, perhaps this gives the Suns financial flexibility to add a veteran point guard if any are available.

A wild thought, but If Rivers goes to the Grizzlies might they part with Shelvin Mack in a trade with the Suns.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Supposedly there are multiple teams interested in Rivers.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Rivers agrees to a buyout, perhaps this gives the Suns financial flexibility to add a veteran point guard if any are available.

A wild thought, but If Rivers goes to the Grizzlies might they part with Shelvin Mack in a trade with the Suns.

From everything I have seen the hold on the cap remains regardless of buyout, otherwise you can circumvent the cap. It's why we have a full cap hold in 2017 on Greg Monroe when we bought him out.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From everything I have seen the hold on the cap remains regardless of buyout, otherwise you can circumvent the cap. It's why we have a full cap hold in 2017 on Greg Monroe when we bought him out.

I guess wishful thinking on my part.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Supposedly there are multiple teams interested in Rivers.

Then why did we waive him, rather than hold him out and keep him inactive, pending a further trade where we flip him to one of those other teams?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Then why did we waive him, rather than hold him out and keep him inactive, pending a further trade where we flip him to one of those other teams?
They probably have interest now that they can sign him to a cheap deal without giving up any assets to do it. Just because they are willing to sign him does not mean they were willing to give away any assets to take on his $12m salary.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Better to waive Rivers than have an unhappy player on the roster.

I can't help but wonder if it might pay dividends (goodwill) if the Suns help Rivers go to a team of his liking. I think James Jones is trying to build relationships with players and other team offices.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is great to hear these comments from Oubre. Welcome aboard.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm..

We play @ Wizards on Saturday. I will be watching that game to see how Ariza is treated by the Suns players.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t know what we keep talking about the development of okobo when he’s no longer seeing the court. He seems to have fallen outta favor for Evans rather quickly.

I know how it looks that way but Okobo has been starting in the G-League since Melton has been recalled. The Suns are using their G-League team a lot this year and have kept one of our 2 rookie PG's down there almost all year. It makes sense. Let one start here and the other start there. I guess Igor doesn't want to depend on both at the same time and I can't blame him for that entirely. It's not like Okobo is just wasting away on the bench. I'd rather have a player being a main piece on our G-League team than lucky to see garbage team on the main roster.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is great to hear these comments from Oubre. Welcome aboard.

Good on you KO. Btw. Gambo and his buddy have been merciless on Ariza. Players say he told them as soon as he got here that if he had visited he would not have signed. Wanted a chef for team food, did not like the practice facility etc. Left before everyone else from practice. Totally disengaged. That does not help young players, it hits them.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good on you KO. Btw. Gambo and his buddy have been merciless on Ariza. Players say he told them as soon as he got here that if he had visited he would not have signed. Wanted a chef for team food, did not like the practice facility etc. Left before everyone else from practice. Totally disengaged. That does not help young players, it hits them.

Quite true and very disappointing from a veteran. However, I am even more alarmed that the amenities in Phoenix apparently don't measure up. This is a player's league, having a chef for team food and top notch facilities should be a must.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think we all tried to rationalize the Ariza signing, but it really did not make sense for McDonough to spend all the free agency money on Ariza.

Some say it was Igor's decision, however, Igor does not seem to be much involved with personnel decisions like with the trade for Rivers and Oubre. He seemed content with this trade or the previous proposed version.

This seemed to be the call of Jones and Sarver.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
the moral of the Ariza story is a vet with a championship ring coming from a top championship contender last season is not a good fit with the last place team last season

That's not necessarily true, he just has a poopy attitude.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson