NBA is making rules almost meaningless - traveling

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
NBA refs are the worst in all of sports. The amount of blatant things they miss in every game is down right pathetic.

Foul calls are probably the worst part. One play it's a foul to so much as breath on someone and the next play a guy gets steamrolled and their is no call...

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NBA refs are the worst in all of sports. The amount of blatant things they miss in every game is down right pathetic.

Foul calls are probably the worst part. One play it's a foul to so much as breath on someone and the next play a guy gets steamrolled and their is no call...

I don't know that they are the worst but I do believe they do the worst job of the big 3 US sports (I don't know much about soccer). And I think the league has helped create the ridiculous refereeing we've been seeing. When the players are allowed to continue trying to dupe the refs into making bad calls and when the coaches are allowed to continue to try and manipulate the refs, their job becomes almost impossible. Until the league wises up and does something about the constant complaining from players and refs and places huge consequences on "acting", this will continue to get worse because the players continue to get even better at duping the refs.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I don't know that they are the worst but I do believe they do the worst job of the big 3 US sports (I don't know much about soccer). And I think the league has helped create the ridiculous refereeing we've been seeing. When the players are allowed to continue trying to dupe the refs into making bad calls and when the coaches are allowed to continue to try and manipulate the refs, their job becomes almost impossible. Until the league wises up and does something about the constant complaining from players and refs and places huge consequences on "acting", this will continue to get worse because the players continue to get even better at duping the refs.
I do agree with your points, but that is a whole other argument. I'm not even talking about players selling calls. I have seen blatant calls and missed calls that had nothing to do with anyone selling anything. As for selling fouls I don't know how the league could possibly do anything about it mainly because it isn't always blatant. Complaining on the other hand is something they could crack down on very easily by just being less patient with players that are doing the complaining.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do agree with your points, but that is a whole other argument. I'm not even talking about players selling calls. I have seen blatant calls and missed calls that had nothing to do with anyone selling anything. As for selling fouls I don't know how the league could possibly do anything about it mainly because it isn't always blatant. Complaining on the other hand is something they could crack down on very easily by just being less patient with players that are doing the complaining.

Of course you have but the situations I'm talking about give the refs far more things to watch for than is possible, making it far easier to miss those obvious infractions. And even if you do away with all player/coach manipulation, refs will still blow calls.

They need to go back to each team having just one voice on the court for dealing with referees. And they need to fine the organization heavily every time an after game video review determines that a player or coach tried to influence the refs to make the wrong call. Fining the player is problematic as it's always difficult to prove intent even when it's pretty obvious. But slapping the franchise with huge escalating fines and, if necessary, even draft penalties, should encourage management and coaches to put an end to it.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They need to retroactively fine people for acting: swipe to eye, elbow to the head etc

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you guys watch the harden video?!? I mean it’s literally insane. It’s not easily overlookable given he’s got the ball and the ref is right next to him. He jumps back TWICE.

Yeah I watched that on Sportscenter this morning and it's a tough one to figure out how they missed it. He wasn't even sneaky about it and he covered too much territory for the refs to think it was normal.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
you aint trying if you aint cheatin...or however the saying goes.

OP
OP
Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
you aint trying if you aint cheatin...or however the saying goes.
Yeah I learned to adapt to that playing football but I always hated that saying. It’s basically condoning getting ahead by lying. It’s a symptom of what’s wrong with our society. Winning by not playing by the same rules as your opponent isn’t really winning, is it?

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah I learned to adapt to that playing football but I always hated that saying. It’s basically condoning getting ahead by lying. It’s a symptom of what’s wrong with our society. Winning by not playing by the same rules as your opponent isn’t really winning, is it?
Sadly most sports are like this, closest that mitigates cheating is baseball. All talent to hit a certain percentage and throw hard/fast. Only thing they're trying to control are substances. Replays took care of missed calls on slides/outs/etc.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Did you guys watch the harden video?!? I mean it’s literally insane. It’s not easily overlookable given he’s got the ball and the ref is right next to him. He jumps back TWICE.
Even worse, they called a foul on Rubio, at a pretty critical juncture in the game. Flat out inexcusable. If I was Snyder I'd be making a big stink out of this.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

Good point! Can you imagine baseball or football players using the same tactics on officials?

I, too, don't follow soccer (or hockey), but I expect the same thinking would prevail.

The questions is . . . how does the NBA reverse it? There seems to be no question that whining about calls and laying guilt trips on the refs (who are not perfect) is a tactic designed to get the next call. And, often, it works.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good point! Can you imagine baseball or football players using the same tactics on officials?

I, too, don't follow soccer (or hockey), but I expect the same thinking would prevail.

The questions is . . . how does the NBA reverse it? There seems to be no question that whining about calls and laying guilt trips on the refs (who are not perfect) is a tactic designed to get the next call. And, often, it works.

High school does a good job of not allowing players to talk back to refs. Now high school players in AAU for example do give the refs crap about calls. Then it stems from there on up.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ratings are way up.

You are absolutely right that the NBA has made this a guard centric league by allowing them to break any number of rules in the name of more scoring.

The NBA won't care as long as the ratings keep climbing

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Ratings are way up.

You are absolutely right that the NBA has made this a guard centric league by allowing them to break any number of rules in the name of more scoring.

Ironically my desire to watch NBA games is dwindling while the overall ratings keep rising...

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Ratings are way up.

In cases of some players, refs have allowed them to become superstars by allowing them to break the rules consistently. Harden is as good as he is because he is allowed to travel and get those "fake" fouls when shooting threes. If those things were taken away, Harden would not be a superstar. He would still be a good player, but he would not be a superstar.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
In cases of some players, refs have allowed them to become superstars by allowing them to break the rules consistently. Harden is as good as he is because he is allowed to travel and get those "fake" fouls when shooting threes. If those things were taken away, Harden would not be a superstar. He would still be a good player, but he would not be a superstar.

Yeah, I kind of agree. But that extends to many of the "superstars" around the league... and for quite a while now, going all the way back to "the Jordan rules."

I know there's a considerable amount of subjectivity in making officiating decisions, especially in basketball. But blatant (or intentional) errors like this should be grounds for immediate dismissal of a referee. I know the NFL fired a referee earlier this season for missing an obvious infraction, and there is no reason the NBA shouldn't have the same level of accountability.

Assuming they care about their integrity, of course... and I'm not sure it's their first consideration.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Yeah, I kind of agree. But that extends to many of the "superstars" around the league... and for quite a while now, going all the way back to "the Jordan rules."

I know there's a considerable amount of subjectivity in making officiating decisions, especially in basketball. But blatant (or intentional) errors like this should be grounds for immediate dismissal of a referee. I know the NFL fired a referee earlier this season for missing an obvious infraction, and there is no reason the NBA shouldn't have the same level of accountability.

Assuming they care about their integrity, of course... and I'm not sure it's their first consideration.

Oh absolutely! I just used Harden as one glaring example.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Some of the flops are hard to see real-time, given how athletic and fast these players are (this Harden example is NOT one of those cases). That's why I think there should be more post game review with fines and/or suspensions for repeat offenders. This is supposed to happen in theory but has there been any fines for flopping? I don't remember any.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe each team should get a certain number of challenges per game. There are so many bad calls. It's a mess.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

It's not just that either. It appeared he took steps at the beginning also, sort of shuffling his feet and getting in position to make a move. I could be seeing something that isn't a big deal there but I thought that is where the travel was at first. Then at the end on his "stepback" it's just ridiculous.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Semi-related, I saw this yesterday. It lists the leagues best scorers minus FT's. I was curious where Harden would fall because he's most often mentioned as someone who sort of works the system to his favor but he'd be the #2 scorer in the league without foul shots included.

You must be registered for see images attach

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The refs certainly missed the travelling - which they do many times per game. One might say "Well, this was egregious and late-game", but how are other rule infringements not egregious? We have watched ALL players get away with it. I would rather no one gets away with it. The other thing is the foul on Rubio on this play. It was a foul (which should have been preceded by the travelling - so no foul in the end). The issue is that there is no way to undo the mistakes which are inevitably made. NBA is the last major sport holdout for challenge review, and I don't blame them as the current reviews take too long for simple calls. Perhaps they could only have one challenge per half for scoring plays only? A play resulting in free-throws would be a scoring play.
At any rate, in this game in particular, the Jazz have no one to blame but themselves. The Rockets were handing them the game and they refused to make layups and free throws. I get that they are upset about the travelling, but those two points - even at that time - did not decide the game.