Anyone else thinking we should draft a QB?

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No yet
But what scares me is his the fact is getting worse week by week
I have some concern about how he fight through the adversities from a mentality standpoint
Bad plays he made really affected his confidence, and one the most important aspect of a franchise qb is possessing a strong mindset

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No yet
But what scares me is his the fact is getting worse week by week
I have some concern about how he fight through the adversities from a mentality standpoint
Bad plays he made really affected his confidence, and one the most important aspect of a franchise qb is possessing a strong mindset

I have seen absolutely nothing that indicates that his confidence has been in any way affected by these debacles. Where do you get that?

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have seen absolutely nothing that indicates that his confidence has been in any way affected by these debacles. Where do you get that?

Cause he is getting worse and doesnt make the same throws he made in the first stretch of the season?
Still holding the ball too long, doesnt see open receivers, overthrows, missing screen passes, or i watched something different?
He can be the most confident guy in front of the camera and by talking but then what he does on the field is different

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I posted awhile back that I'd draft Dewayne Haskins. And, that's when I was much higher on Rosen. Rosen has definitely regressed while Darnold, Allen, Mayfield, and Jackson have all progressed. I don't expect Rosen to be lighting it up but he's making the same mistakes repeatedly and really, other than the occasional throw, hasn't made any noticeable improvements.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I posted awhile back that I'd draft Dewayne Haskins. And, that's when I was much higher on Rosen. Rosen has definitely regressed while Darnold, Allen, Mayfield, and Jackson have all progressed. I don't expect Rosen to be lighting it up but he's making the same mistakes repeatedly and really, other than the occasional throw, hasn't made any noticeable improvements.

Give him the Jets, Bills, Browns or Raven's O-line and I'll bet you'd see noticeable improvement.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Definitely look at a mid round QB for back up/clipboard carrying spot. I do not believe this draft has glitter and gold QB candidates at the top but mid round I see some possibilities. Can the Cards afford to carry a $10 million QB for backup after next year. QBs in the near future will become valuable as the current crop is aging.

I think you try and draft a QB each year as well. Doesn't mean you always will. Never know what you may uncover. Since 2000, the Patriots have drafted 11 QBs.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would rather run with Glennon than draft a QB. That would be comical given the state of this team.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No blue chip top ten QB's in this draft.
If the right QB was there (i.e. tougher, more poised, more a sure-thing with a better arm than Josh) I'd have to consider him.

But the CW is that no such animal exists in this Draft.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Despite thinking Rosen is Trash, I say draft a QB in rd 3 or 4 with high upside to groom as insurance. No more retread backups...I believe you need to develop two QBs...

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i wouldnt mind taking a flier on a QB in the latter rounds.
I have 2 candidates for this.

Gardner Minshew II WSU
Easton Stick North Dakota State

Neither one may last past 3/4 round.

"Seven quarterbacks have accepted Senior Bowl invitations: N.C. State’s Ryan Finley, West Virginia’s Will Grier, Missouri’s Drew Lock, Penn State’s Trace McSorley, Washington State’s Gardner Minshew, Auburn’s Jarrett Stidham and Northwestern’s Clayton Thorson. Count Minshew as the one we’ll be watching. The success of former Air Raid-type college passers in Baker Mayfield and Patrick Mahomes justifies it."

Last edited:

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Put almost any QB behind this Oline & it’s wouldn’t be good & magnified by any of these rooks behind it.

BtW Jackson is still not all that throwing the ball

pmacLean

Veteran
Reaction score
I will preface this with I'm putting a very low chance of using an early round pick on a QB, but if it were my team to run I would be exploring it.

.... snip ....
.... snip ....
.... snip ....

The oline isn't great, but there are QBs (even rookies) getting pressured nearly as often that are playing well. Palmer had a worse oline, so let's not pretend like Rosen doesn't have an oline blocking for him. Making plays under pressure is what separates good QBs from bad ones. Anyone can be a franchise QB against air.

... snip ...
... snip ...

I was paying attention until I read that... and then, kinda lost interest... we would do better with a major college o-line than what is there now... 3 and 4 man rushes from not very highly ranked defenses just crushing these guys... play after play .... Falcons didn't even have to blitz... sorry, Palmer had an ALL STAR O-line (which at the time we thought was probably the worst in history) compared to what is there now...

pmacLean

Veteran
Reaction score
Rosen will never do what Bradford has already done
I certainly hope he doesn't injure himself as often

- dropping and blaming Sam was stupid - he deserved the same leash after 2 years off and the injury- on a bad coached team
maybe and maybe not... I will concede that the total lack of any kind of remotely effective game plan didn't help him one bit...

- yea if the new coach wants a new qb - should get it with this pick.
cannot disagree with this more... not even sensible in any way shape or form... sure, let's waste a #1 pick on a QB before we have ANY clue if our previous # 1 pick QB is any good... good plan, makes you wonder is THESMEL isn't some screen name for a certain guy named Gruden (sounds like his kind of strategy, and if they don't ditch Keim, this is probably what will happen ... sigh)

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I have no problem with drafting a QB every year, you never know what you might land. Of course that is in the later rounds. If JR isn't the answer we'll have plenty more opportunities to get an early drafty pick and select another QB. So my answer is, NO. If it were me, I am not drafting another QB next year before round 4.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Remember when we drafted Steve Pisarkiwiez & had Jim Hart then did it again with Kelly Stouffer & had Lomax?

Not a chance in hell
Both of those scenarios made sense on paper. In 1978 Hart was a 12 year veteran so drafting an heir apparent made sense. As for Lomax, he had come off of 2 abysmal seasons and looked done so the Cards drafted his replacement but 2 things happened: Stouffer held out and Lomax regained form so the Cards traded Stouffer to Seattle and ended up with Joe Wolf who had a decent career here while Stouffer proved to be a stiff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Put almost any QB behind this Oline & it’s wouldn’t be good & magnified by any of these rooks behind it.

BtW Jackson is still not all that throwing the ball

Jackson is still learning and progressing but all he does is win.So all the idiots that said he stinks can eat some early crow .He is still a work in progress as all the rookie QBs are.Rosen will likely be fine when he gets a NFL quality supporting casr to work with..not a scrapheap OLine ,a disinterestied RB and Sme WRs who can actually get some seperation.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
If we really like a guy in the fifth round then get him. We really have to go all out to put a team around Rosen. We have the money and the draft picks to change the team. The biggest thing we do this off-season is the new coaching staff. We have to get it right this time. No matter how many great players we bring in, if we give them another Wilks coaching staff we will be picking top five next season as well.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I will preface this with I'm putting a very low chance of using an early round pick on a QB, but if it were my team to run I would be exploring it.

Even though I have been putting all of my hope on Rosen to hit the ground running and making the case for him being a franchise level QB, I did not have high hopes for him even being decent in the NFL, let alone great. I was not excited about him as the choice for QBOTF, but since it was made to seem like it was almost a free-roll, there was really only upside, why not? Taking a chance is better than sitting on your hands.

He flashed in preseason, which is really means nothing in retrospect, but at the time gets your hopes up. He flashed in a couple of the early starts, but it only seemed better than it was due to the ineptitude of the offense until that point. Overall, he has played really poorly.

But there are reasons to give him an out...
- His rookie year... there have been QBs with bad rookie years that turned it around the next.
- Bad coaching... don't need to explain this.
- Oline isn't very good... don't need to explain this either.

I don't think any of those individually are big enough to excuse his play. A rookie should get better, not worse as the year goes on. Bad coaching has little to do with the turn overs, missed throws, holding the ball too long, bad reads or missed opportunities. The oline isn't great, but there are QBs (even rookies) getting pressured nearly as often that are playing well. Palmer had a worse oline, so let's not pretend like Rosen doesn't have an oline blocking for him. Making plays under pressure is what separates good QBs from bad ones. Anyone can be a franchise QB against air.

If some think the culmination of all of those is a good enough to reason to bank on next year being a turnaround for Rosen I won't fault you at all, because there is precedent for it to happen. I just personally put the odds at being long. New coach, new players, new plays... I don't think it is going to take him from worst QB to top 16.

If you recall, everyone basically argued that this was a gimme with the way the pick worked out, so even if he didn't work out it was no big loss. I feel like some have morphed a free-roll into the idea he has to work out, he's our only chance, we've got so much invested and he just has to be the QBOTF no matter what happens.

I'm of the mindset that we need hedge our bet on Rosen and not after two or three seasons... we need to hedge that bet for next season. To what degree I think depends on how certain you are he will or won't succeed.

I haven't dug into the draft enough to know if it makes sense to *me* to trade down and be able to use the extra picks to take a early QB or use our high pick on a DL or OL player and take a value QB late. I know if I could have my cake and eat it too it would be that Haskins wasn't projected so high that we could get a good situation to be able to get what we needed early and pick him up in the 2nd round. That guy has been dropping dimes in tight coverage from his very first snap with rarely making a mistake or bad read. He's on a whole next level and is a pure passer with a quick release and NFL arm strength.

Anyone else thinking we should draft a QB, and what part of the draft and/or who are you interested in?
Man that’s a long post for me to come to the conclusion that although drafting a QB every year is a good (and not novel) idea I disagree with almost everything you state. “The oline isn’t great” and “Palmer has a worse oline” leave me believing you literally do not possess a working set of eyes.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave