2018/19 Hot Stove League

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Greinke will be gone by the trade deadline mid-season, when the team can receive greater value for him versus now. Ray remains affordable. Ahmed is being sought after and could be gone soon...And nobody in their right mind will take Souza and his contract...

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
Greinke will be gone by the trade deadline mid-season, when the team can receive greater value for him versus now. Ray remains affordable. Ahmed is being sought after and could be gone soon...And nobody in their right mind will take Souza and his contract...
MLBTR reported during the Winter meetings that the DB's brass thought Greinke would be worth more at the trade deadline with all the starters on the market right now.

Pirates already interested in Ahmed. There are a couple of guys named Peralta. Don't be confused.

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
Greinke will be gone by the trade deadline mid-season, when the team can receive greater value for him versus now.
I've been thinking about this and I'm not sure it's the best idea. Consider:

1. Greinke KNOWS he'll be traded. He'll make half his normal salary. What incentive does he have to play well? Might as well conserve the arm.

2. Other teams know he will be traded. What incentive do they have to make a deal beneficial to the DBs?

3. Can they pick up an arm suitable for a starting spot in the rotation? One that might be viable for a few years.

Just wondering out loud

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Greinke is a pro’s pro. Just like any other true pro, if he’s on the field, he’s going 100%... period.
Teams won’t make a deal with the Dbacks with the thought process being to do a deal that benefits the Dbacks. There will be multiple teams in need of a veteran stud like Greinke come the trade deadline. Hence, teams will be competing against each other, which will be to the Dbacks benefit.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Greinke is a pro’s pro. Just like any other true pro, if he’s on the field, he’s going 100%... period.
Teams won’t make a deal with the Dbacks with the thought process being to do a deal that benefits the Dbacks. There will be multiple teams in need of a veteran stud like Greinke come the trade deadline. Hence, teams will be competing against each other, which will be to the Dbacks benefit.
Here’s the thing, if Greinke has a bad first half his trade value will drop big time. Also if CLE, SF & NYM hold on to their guys until deadline as well then there also maybe a limited market for Greinke unless there are a lot of teams in the playoff hunt but even more SP could become available that aren’t now so if I were Hazen I would kick in enough money to get teams interested in Greinke now but wait until Kuechel is off the market and I know if Mad Bum, Thor and Bauer / Kluber are off the market.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Here’s the thing, if Greinke has a bad first half his trade value will drop big time. Also if CLE, SF & NYM hold on to their guys until deadline as well then there also maybe a limited market for Greinke unless there are a lot of teams in the playoff hunt but even more SP could become available that aren’t now so if I were Hazen I would kick in enough money to get teams interested in Greinke now but wait until Kuechel is off the market and I know if Mad Bum, Thor and Bauer / Kluber are off the market.

The Dbacks have been shopping Greinke for more than a year now. They have not been offered what they believe to be a fair deal/return. I respect that and I agree with their position to wait it out.
The NYM are making a run for the post season. I don’t see them being sellers at the deadline.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The Dbacks have been shopping Greinke for more than a year now. They have not been offered what they believe to be a fair deal/return. I respect that and I agree with their position to wait it out.
The NYM are making a run for the post season. I don’t see them being sellers at the deadline.
They probably haven't got what they consider fair value offers because they are probably refusing to kick in money 82. If we're all being honest, they overpaid him 3 years ago and now that contract is becoming an issue in that we had to trade Goldy because we couldn't afford him. Either ARZ wants to pay $104M over the next 3 years or they can pay $40M and get the offer they want. Yes, $40M is a lot to unload this contract but you're paying him $34M this year alone. You can look at it as you are ridding yourself of $64M and getting some impact prospects for that money.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
They probably haven't got what they consider fair value offers because they are probably refusing to kick in money 82. If we're all being honest, they overpaid him 3 years ago and now that contract is becoming an issue in that we had to trade Goldy because we couldn't afford him. Either ARZ wants to pay $104M over the next 3 years or they can pay $40M and get the offer they want. Yes, $40M is a lot to unload this contract but you're paying him $34M this year alone. You can look at it as you are ridding yourself of $64M and getting some impact prospects for that money.

I’ve seen and heard reports that the Dbacks are in fact willing to kick in money. And they will indeed likely do so come the trade deadline. Fact is that they are not receiving what they consider to be worthwhile value... and they believe, as do I, that the returning value will be better by the deadline.

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
^----I think we need to admit we won't get another Greinke in return. The big issue will be monetary relief. The longer they wait, the more cash they'll have to include. Plus, a number of arms they assumed would be gone in the Vegas meeting gs are still aroind. What if those teams are thinking the same thing? The hard part about playing chicken is knowing when to dlinch.

In other news:

Machado meeting with the Yanks, Phil and Sox this week. The WHITE Sox. Wtf?

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I’ve seen and heard reports that the Dbacks are in fact willing to kick in money. And they will indeed likely do so come the trade deadline. Fact is that they are not receiving what they consider to be worthwhile value... and they believe, as do I, that the returning value will be better by the deadline.
I've also heard those reports a while back about them including money but as I mentioned in a previous post I've heard reports after that that they feel they wouldn't need to absorb any money in a potential deal for Greinke.

From MLB Rumors dated 11/22:
  • The https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/11/tradefree-agent-rumors-segura-diaz-greinke-happ.html
  • Diamondbacks “are confident” they’ll be able to trade Zack Greinke without having to absorb any of the $95.5MM still owed on the right-hander’s contract over the next three seasons., a source tells Morosi. It’s a very short list of teams with the available payroll space and willingness to make such a big move, which is why Morosi feels the Phillies “are the most logical suitors.” While the Phillies are also checking into a plethora of other pitching options (including Patrick Corbin and J.A. Happ), Greinke would cost the team less than Corbin would in a long-term commitment. Acquiring Greinke would also come at a player cost, of course, though it’s possible Arizona would take only a relatively middling prospect return just for the sake of getting Greinke entirely off the books.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I've also heard those reports a while back about them including money but as I mentioned in a previous post I've heard reports after that that they feel they wouldn't need to absorb any money in a potential deal for Greinke.

From MLB Rumors dated 11/22:
  • The https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/11/tradefree-agent-rumors-segura-diaz-greinke-happ.html
  • Diamondbacks “are confident” they’ll be able to trade Zack Greinke without having to absorb any of the $95.5MM still owed on the right-hander’s contract over the next three seasons., a source tells Morosi. It’s a very short list of teams with the available payroll space and willingness to make such a big move, which is why Morosi feels the Phillies “are the most logical suitors.” While the Phillies are also checking into a plethora of other pitching options (including Patrick Corbin and J.A. Happ), Greinke would cost the team less than Corbin would in a long-term commitment. Acquiring Greinke would also come at a player cost, of course, though it’s possible Arizona would take only a relatively middling prospect return just for the sake of getting Greinke entirely off the books.

I think reports like that are more speculation than anything else. In the end, until something actually happens, we are all left to our own interpretations and opinions about what we believe to be the best path...
The Phillies missed out on both Corbin and Happ. They may very well be one of a few teams that, come the deadline, would be buyers. Personally, I believe the Dbacks are ready to kick in some money on a Greinke deal. And I believe that a deal made at the deadline, with a team in contention and who will likely be bidding against other contenders/buyers, will be a better overall deal than anything they have seen up to this point...

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
The cash included in a deal...I tried to find a couple in baseball. Only came up with A-Roid being traded to the Yanks and Babe Ruth being traded to the Yanks so Harry Frazee could fund a Broadway musical he liked. Non-baseball examples of course include Gretzky to the Kings, and Dr. J getting trade from the Nets to the Sixers.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
In a related move, the DB's equipment manager traded a "Big Unit" signed uni to Miriam Webster for two vowels to sew onto this dude's sweater. :clapping:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA