THE Newcastle United FC thread

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I remember that tackle well. It was definitely costly. and yes was it not that game that shelvey got sent off for stamping someone? I still think shelvey should have went to Russia for his creativity to move the ball forward.

It was, yes.

So, yesterday, I thought we finally got some karmic justice. Lascelles had a horror tackle out of bounds that should have been red, but he only saw yellow. So I thought okay, we got a little back. Except later we had a brilliant goal called back for a ghost offsides. Effing refs, eh? At least we won, so no worries, but still.

And apparently Southampton just scored. Poop.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Man, am I sick and effing tired of the big 6 bias. So Dummett breathes on Salah, and by gosh, it's a penalty, but Lindelof is allowed to simply push Atsu over not just without touching the ball, but by actively stepping AWAY from the ball, and the ref doesn't even give it a look. ********. Absolute ********.

Gutted for Dubravka, because he's been so brilliant for Newcastle, and barring his horrible spill, there wasn't anything in it for Man U. Of course, Newcastle should have been up 1-0 at that point, but...ah well.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Man, am I sick and effing tired of the big 6 bias. So Dummett breathes on Salah, and by gosh, it's a penalty, but Lindelof is allowed to simply push Atsu over not just without touching the ball, but by actively stepping AWAY from the ball, and the ref doesn't even give it a look. ********. Absolute ********.

Gutted for Dubravka, because he's been so brilliant for Newcastle, and barring his horrible spill, there wasn't anything in it for Man U. Of course, Newcastle should have been up 1-0 at that point, but...ah well.
you bring up a good point. I see the same with Spurs. It's been a while since they've gotten a penalty, but I go back to the Arsenal match at Emirates and Son got a cheap penalty. I think the FA have caught on to their diving because since then there have been borderline pens not given. I find it amusing going back to last year when spurs played Liverpool and Lamela got a Mo Salah/Kane-like penalty decision and Liverpool supporters were crying so loudly. When I was in Ipswich Town a few days ago their supporters were saying "if the England captain can dive and get a call why can't we"?

as for Newcastle was Shelvey not fit to start the match? he had a stunning pass that almost drove a goal home. then he had a classic shelvey strafe on Pogba's calf. if they are going to stay up they need him to play 90 mins every time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
you bring up a good point. I see the same with Spurs. It's been a while since they've gotten a penalty, but I go back to the Arsenal match at Emirates and Son got a cheap penalty. I think the FA have caught on to their diving because since then there have been borderline pens not given. I find it amusing going back to last year when spurs played Liverpool and Lamela got a Mo Salah/Kane-like penalty decision and Liverpool supporters were crying so loudly. When I was in Ipswich Town a few days ago their supporters were saying "if the England captain can dive and get a call why can't we"?

as for Newcastle was Shelvey not fit to start the match? he had a stunning pass that almost drove a goal home. then he had a classic shelvey strafe on Pogba's calf. if they are going to stay up they need him to play 90 mins every time.

Last game he was just coming back from injury and got about 10 minutes, and this one got almost a half. My bet is he'll start, but probably wasn't ready for a full 90 this past game.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
You know, I would have been super pissed if Shelvey got a retrospective ban for his horror challenge on Pogba. Yes, it was a red card offense, but I recall that bitch McManaman, I think his name was, opening up Haidara's knee in a Newcastle game a few years back. There was no FOUL given, let alone a card, and the ******** response from the FA was "can't give retrospective ban because the ref saw the incident already." Well, they couldn't possibly ban Shelvey for the exact same reason.

I mean, yeah, it's a dumb rule that needs changed, but it would have shown another big 6 double standard.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
The FA Cup is such a nightmare for Newcastle. How bad is it that I kind of wish we HADN'T equalized to send it to Ewood Park for a replay?
haha, well you never know with the FA cup. that could go two different ways.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Rafa sticking it to Jabba the Ashley, and I'm loving it. They had a transfer meeting this week, and Rafa let the muppet know, in no uncertain terms, that he will never sign a new contract if he doesn't get backing in THIS window to at least show SOME good faith.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Good win for Newcastle and they finally ink an expensive player.

Yep. If they can beat Spurs here in the next few minutes, I guarantee they won't go down. Otherwise, as long as it isn't a blowout, I have a lot more confidence they will stay up. And, for the first time in...forever...I think there's a slim, slim chance Rafa stays on after the season.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Newcastle are sitting back, they've been lucky not to concede a goal, but if Spurs don't start taking their chances Newcastle can get a result. interestingly Spurs are playing like they should when Llorente and Kane are in by swinging balls into the box rather than trying to break down the defence. I don't know what moura was doing with his chance. good lord even wondo buries that one...

Lorenzo

Reaction score
excellent strike of the ball by Son, but I have to say of all the chances spurs missed that one was lucky. the keeper should have done a lot better with that.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
excellent strike of the ball by Son, but I have to say of all the chances spurs missed that one was lucky. the keeper should have done a lot better with that.

Yeah, Dubravka muffed that one, but he's been brilliant all season, so what can you do? Man, Rondon hit a post! But so did they, and had one cleared off the line. I think Newcastle did well, but Spurs were well worth the 3 points today.

On a side note, I think it was just about a perfectly reffed game. Really well done by Mariner.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Yeah, Dubravka muffed that one, but he's been brilliant all season, so what can you do? Man, Rondon hit a post! But so did they, and had one cleared off the line. I think Newcastle did well, but Spurs were well worth the 3 points today.

On a side note, I think it was just about a perfectly reffed game. Really well done by Mariner.
yes it was a good match. both sides played well. Newcastle had chances, not many but when they did press forward they some quality chances. You have to say they stuck to their plan well and almost got a result. Son has rescued Spurs season over the last 2 Premier league fixtures.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
The low-end results went perfectly--Fulham and Huddersfield are doomed--but the others were disastrous. Out of the relegation zone by GD only! It's going to be a bumpy ride!

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Absolutely freaking cheated by the ref today. Absolutely, 100 percent cheated. Which is par for the freaking course when Newcastle play Wolves, apparently. Extra time's over? Here, have another minute. Wrap your arms around the keeper's neck? No problem. Elbow to the face that draws blood for a penalty? What penalty? (Last match.) And I'm not 100 percent convinced that cross didn't go out before the keeper was fouled before the goal.

I am fuming, absolutely freaking fuming. If Newcastle go down because they were cheated out of 3 total points against Wolves, I will be absolutely out of my freaking mind. Like now.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Game 1:

You must be registered for see images

No penalty awarded, though there was a broken nose and blood.

Game 2:

You must be registered for see images attach

Is this the WWE or the Premier League? Officials are cheating pricks.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I missed that finish between Wolves and Newcastle. Am I recalling correctly that the ref also didn't blow the whistle on time? the missed penalties have been awful. especially if you look at some of the ones that are given so easily at certain occasions. I don't know that they are always able to see it all, but I do question when they give one so cheaply.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
I missed that finish between Wolves and Newcastle. Am I recalling correctly that the ref also didn't blow the whistle on time? the missed penalties have been awful. especially if you look at some of the ones that are given so easily at certain occasions. I don't know that they are always able to see it all, but I do question when they give one so cheaply.

You are indeed recalling correctly. Thus my enormous anger. If Newcastle go done because of those two Wolves games (3 points) I'll be massively pissed off. As Rafa said, how is laying one light hand on Mo Sallah a penalty, but wrapping your arms around a keeper's face and neck not a foul going the other way? There's zero consistency.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
You are indeed recalling correctly. Thus my enormous anger. If Newcastle go done because of those two Wolves games (3 points) I'll be massively pissed off. As Rafa said, how is laying one light hand on Mo Sallah a penalty, but wrapping your arms around a keeper's face and neck not a foul going the other way? There's zero consistency.
It really is tough to watch at times with the refs. I don't like when they see it one way outside of the box and differently inside of the box. it drives me mad. then there is the point you made when they give penalties to people who sneeze near Mo Saleh (of corse he goes down). Hopefully in the near future he gets the same treatment as what Son is getting at spurs. Now Son gets cautioned when he is actually fouled. Karma is real thing.

I guess VAR will improve some things, but I am not looking forward to more stoppages with subjective opinions on what is clear and obvious. I am still finding myself slow to join the VAR party, but hopefully the premier league will do it much better than FIFA did in the WC.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
It really is tough to watch at times with the refs. I don't like when they see it one way outside of the box and differently inside of the box. it drives me mad. then there is the point you made when they give penalties to people who sneeze near Mo Saleh (of corse he goes down). Hopefully in the near future he gets the same treatment as what Son is getting at spurs. Now Son gets cautioned when he is actually fouled. Karma is real thing.

I guess VAR will improve some things, but I am not looking forward to more stoppages with subjective opinions on what is clear and obvious. I am still finding myself slow to join the VAR party, but hopefully the premier league will do it much better than FIFA did in the WC.

Eh, I've just seen Newcastle screwed too many times, and the lower table teams screwed too many times, to not want VAR. 3 points denied by Wolves, and we would have locked up 3 points (instead of none!) against Man U by going up 3-0, except...good lord...a handball in the box that then careened out for a corner, and a GOAL KICK was given! Three unforgivable ref decisions, just off the top of my head, that would have Newcastle on 31 points already. Bring on the VAR, please lol

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Magnificent. Almiron's a revelation. It's a crime he didn't score today, but he got a man sent off with his pace (about time someone else got red carded against us, too!), figured in some goals, and was just cracker jack. This game could easily have been 8-0, what with so many close misses and FOUR good shots off the woodwork. Massive result, and suddenly it looks a decent squad, with all the people coming back from injury. A squad that still needs a lot of additions, but still.