Sarver is threatening to move the Suns to Seattle or Las Vegas

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
This guy gets it.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I can't judge your level of sarcasm here, but the general takeaway is that both the NHL groups in Seattle and LV fronted the vast majority of the financing. Other cities like Detroit and Atlanta have secured bigger chunks of public loot than the Suns.

Don't forget these aren't the final numbers. The city will have to issue bonds for this, and pay interest on them. They also have to drop $2mm a year into a sinking fund for future improvements for 12 years (the Suns will pay $1MM per year).

I can already envision Sarver wanting that money every year like a hungry Oliver Twist.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Increasingly, this Sarver threat to move the team is like a restaurant threatening to remove liver and onions from its menu if more people don't order it.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Tonight's trade isn't exactly going to endear Sarver to the public or the City Council heading into the series of public meetings. This should get very interesting (and far more interesting than any Suns game this year)...

NoelPHX

Space for Sale
Reaction score
Kings had one foot out the door but couldn't get league approval. Maloofs ended up having to sell the team and the new owner was able to get approval from the city for a new arena. The biggest investors wanted to move to Seattle but the league pushed to get someone who would keep the team in Sacramento.

I don't think it's likely but it's not unprecedented.
I have had a run in with one of the Maloofs that owned the Kings a couple of years back. Told him I wished that Server would sell. He indicated he likedSarver. Guess misery loves company.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Leveraging comments, nothing to see here

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I have read descriptions from people working at the arena about the arena that are absolutely terrible (rats, cracks in the concrete etc).

For all I know Sarver would probably prefer to have the city reject the rennovation so he can get out of the lease asap and build his own arena in Scottsdale or so.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have read descriptions from people working at the arena about the arena that are absolutely terrible (rats, cracks in the concrete etc).

For all I know Sarver would probably prefer to have the city reject the rennovation so he can get out of the lease asap and build his own arena in Scottsdale or so.
As long as he stays in town, I am fine with that. I doubt he has to pay a relocation fee if he stays in the same market. The city of phoenix then gets to deal with their deteriorating building.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with south Scottsdale, Talking Stick area.

The Pima-Maricopa group has prime land just sitting there, easy building permits and no taxes, and lots of money to help build. The City of Phoenix will have a hard time competing with that.

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with south Scottsdale, Talking Stick area.

The Pima-Maricopa group has prime land just sitting there, easy building permits and no taxes, and lots of money to help build. The City of Phoenix will have a hard time competing with that.
Talking Stick ain't exactly "South Scottsdale." Anyway, I doubt those names have any cachè with the tribe. There's another thread in the DBs section about the vagaries of moving to a reservation. Ask Billy Bowtie how that turned out.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Public meeting on arena renovation.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Next meeting on Monday.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Huh that’s interesting. Good PR move by suns. I hope those guys are ready to be yelled at by al old lady. If I were Ayton, after last nights performance, I don’t think I’d want to face her wrath.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh that’s interesting. Good PR move by suns. I hope those guys are ready to be yelled at by al old lady. If I were Ayton, after last nights performance, I don’t think I’d want to face her wrath.

Here is more about their attendance.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns and City officials are slowing getting the word out about how the arena renovation will be funded through public meetings. Hopefully it's not too late.

It's unbelievable this information wasn't put out there earlier.

From a Kent Somers aricle at azcentral:

—The city’s share would paid through the Sports Facility Fund, which began in 1989 when the arena was being planned, not the city's general fund. The money for the arena comes from a 1 percent tax on hotels and a 2 percent tax on rental cars. According to the city, 93 percent of that rental car tax is paid by non-Arizona residents and as is 88 percent of the hotel tax.

Many people attending the meetings were surprised to learn this.

“Our very first meeting, the first gentleman who got up said, ‘How come you aren’t getting this message out about how this is funded?’” said Christine Mackay, the city’s community and economic development director.

So the primary emphasis of meetings became “to share with our citizens that this won’t tax them at all,” Mackay said.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...et-arena-deal-but-needs-sweetened/2549554002/

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I'll repeat here a post I just made on the ASFN D-backs site.

Some dirty so-and-so has evidently commandeered a helicopter and sprinkled a bunch of Disappointment Dust over (most of) the Valley's pro sports teams.

Oh well, I still get to enjoy my 41st year in Paradise despite the local sports situation -- Kendrick and his expensive baseball card collection and Sarver and his San Diego banks counting their millions.

No sweltering, humid summers. Or frigid, humid winters. Or hurricanes. Or five days of rain per week. Or swimming limited to two months per year (vs. six here). Or high cost of living. Or heavy traffic (no matter how much we think ours is).

Even with our small minded owners, my heart belongs to the Valley of the Sun.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns and City officials are slowing getting the word out about how the arena renovation will be funded through public meetings. Hopefully it's not too late.

It's unbelievable this information wasn't put out there earlier.

From a Kent Somers aricle at azcentral:

—The city’s share would paid through the Sports Facility Fund, which began in 1989 when the arena was being planned, not the city's general fund. The money for the arena comes from a 1 percent tax on hotels and a 2 percent tax on rental cars. According to the city, 93 percent of that rental car tax is paid by non-Arizona residents and as is 88 percent of the hotel tax.

Many people attending the meetings were surprised to learn this.

“Our very first meeting, the first gentleman who got up said, ‘How come you aren’t getting this message out about how this is funded?’” said Christine Mackay, the city’s community and economic development director.

So the primary emphasis of meetings became “to share with our citizens that this won’t tax them at all,” Mackay said.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...et-arena-deal-but-needs-sweetened/2549554002/

I get that the money comes from that fund and that's what it's there for but I have to wonder what is that money being spent on now? Is it just accumulating in account somewhere, which is unlikely considering how government spends, but what else will that money go towards if not this exact upgrade since that's it's purpose? I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone was aware of how that works when there isn't a stadium or arena being constructed currently. If no one has an answer to that can anyone point me in the right direction as far as who I should contact? I know the Suns beat writer has touched on the arena deal a few times, I can't recall his name right now but I wonder if that would be the best person to contact if no one here is aware of what's happening with that money in off years.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
They should probably bring in Steve Nash if they want a hometown hero.

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
This afternoon on 98.7 fm, they ran an interview with the CEO of the Suns named Jason Rowley. I have never heard this name in my life. I guess his title should include, "Sarver's main ballwasher."

But he brought up an interesting point, which I think is lost on most people in Phoenix. The Suns don't own the arena. They are tenants. In most landlord/tenant relationships, the landlord pays to keep the main infrastructure functional and accommodating to the tenant. The tenant is responsible for leasehold improvements. He emphasized that this fact has been lost on many people.

So why in the world is it lost? You bring this up three days before the Phoenix City Council votes on funding these renovations? You don't think the public has an impact on how these people vote? How about a whole half year's worth of press releases, advertisements, broadsides? It's like they're realizing their dilemma at the 11th hour. And one of their "town halls" was in Paradise Valley? How silly and a waste of time.

Anyways...listen and hear.

http://arizonasports.com/category/p...22-9f61-a9dd018b6a58&sid=1005&n=Burns+&+Gambo

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
This afternoon on 98.7 fm, they ran an interview with the CEO of the Suns named Jason Rowley. I have never heard this name in my life. I guess his title should include, "Sarver's main ballwasher."

But he brought up an interesting point, which I think is lost on most people in Phoenix. The Suns don't own the arena. They are tenants. In most landlord/tenant relationships, the landlord pays to keep the main infrastructure functional and accommodating to the tenant. The tenant is responsible for leasehold improvements. He emphasized that this fact has been lost on many people.

So why in the world is it lost? You bring this up three days before the Phoenix City Council votes on funding these renovations? You don't think the public has an impact on how these people vote? How about a whole half year's worth of press releases, advertisements, broadsides? It's like they're realizing their dilemma at the 11th hour. And one of their "town halls" was in Paradise Valley? How silly and a waste of time.

Anyways...listen and hear.

http://arizonasports.com/category/podcast_player/?a=992270c1-27f2-4622-9f61-a9dd018b6a58&sid=1005&n=Burns+&+Gambo
Dude, you haven't been paying attention. Rowley was on the radio the day this Sarver moving the Suns nonsense started. This education for the board and public has been going on ever since.