End of the road & Patrick Peterson

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
For the record I love the guy. Logically thinking P2 has 5 games left in his Cardinals Career.

If Wilks is retained, P2 will traded in off season.

If a new HC comes in, the new coach will come with the intent of trading Peterson to establish who the floor boss is.

I am going to enjoy the final five games watching P2 play. Yes, I will be watching Cardinals games no matter what the score is.

When P2 is gone, it will be big shoes to fill.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I love PP21, but I would trade him just to gain assets no matter who the GM/HC is. No point in keeping a near 30 year old CB in a obvious rebuild where we have a lot of holes.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I wouldn't move him. This team has a ton of cap money, will be in great draft position with plenty of assets, and we'll have a 2-3 year window with Rosen to keep things that way. PP21 can hold onto his performance for another 2-3 years.

Of course, this is said as long as he's not so disenchanted with the franchise that he's becoming a malcontent. But if we can convince him to stay, I see no point in trying to replace him with draft picks.

OP
OP
Arz101

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I love PP21, but I would trade him just to gain assets no matter who the GM/HC is. No point in keeping a near 30 year old CB in a obvious rebuild where we have a lot of holes.

It has been 3 years and counting to find a competent guy on other side of P2. You think draft picks, i mean draft picks, is going to replace two corners in one season?

EDIT: Oops. you didn't mention draft picks. I assumed it. I am leaving the original reply to take the wrath

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If he can't net 2 first rounders then I wouldn't deal him, ARZ needs to be overwhelmed not sell him for pennies on the dollar. You need CB's who can cover in today's NFL, look at how many #2 CB's we've gone through in the last few years. But if you deal him then you have to deal Jones too because he isn't going to want to be here if we signal a re-build. ARZ can rebound into a playoff team next year, worst to first scenarios have happened a lot lately, you just need a GM that knows what the hell he is doing.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am good either way.

This team is years away.

sadly, this is where I am. If they can get two first for him, and it's a new GM who gets to play with those picks, I'll be begrudgingly okay with it. If it's Keim, might as well keep him because those first rounders will end up freaking busts anyway.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Don't trade him this offseason, we can potentially do it next offseason if we need to. We have a lot of holes next to a lot of pieces.

Given a new coach who might employ a offense from this decade (or century) and a defense that matches its players, we could turn this around pretty quickly. Even then, playoffs in 2019 is a stretch and highly unlikely. However if we show significant improvement in 2019, PP's frustration might be alleviated.

He can't leave on his own until 2021 free agency. There's a lot of time to right the ship before then. No need to rush.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
sadly, this is where I am. If they can get two first for him, and it's a new GM who gets to play with those picks, I'll be begrudgingly okay with it. If it's Keim, might as well keep him because those first rounders will end up freaking busts anyway.

ditto.

pmacLean

Veteran
Reaction score
am in the 'doesn't matter if PP21 leaves camp", because it will take so long to revamp this team, by time it happens he will be over the hill and get dumped due to salary/performance anyway... so trade him now... just don't show any trade partner film of his tackling ... I wouldn't give much for him just due to that

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't trade him this offseason, we can potentially do it next offseason if we need to. We have a lot of holes next to a lot of pieces.

Given a new coach who might employ a offense from this decade (or century) and a defense that matches its players, we could turn this around pretty quickly. Even then, playoffs in 2019 is a stretch and highly unlikely. However if we show significant improvement in 2019, PP's frustration might be alleviated.

He can't leave on his own until 2021 free agency. There's a lot of time to right the ship before then. No need to rush.

issue with this is his value only goes down the closer he gets to FA and the older he gets. No one's giving up 2 firsts for a guy with only a year left on his deal.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dispose of Wilks first & foremost. If we can bring in a HC that is a proven winner, then PP21 just may decide to hang on. No one will give us 2 ones, so try to hang on to him.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It has been 3 years and counting to find a competent guy on other side of P2. You think draft picks, i mean draft picks, is going to replace two corners in one season?

EDIT: Oops. you didn't mention draft picks. I assumed it. I am leaving the original reply to take the wrath
I mean, it’s better to get something in return then just watch him walk away for nothing(probably a near high comp pick). We’re years away, even with a new GM/HC. No one is giving to 2 1st rounders, but I would take a 1st & 3rd.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
issue with this is his value only goes down the closer he gets to FA and the older he gets. No one's giving up 2 firsts for a guy with only a year left on his deal.

I don't think anyone gives up two firsts no matter what.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Not even thinking about PP21 until we have a new coaching staff in place. And I cannot imagine a new coach thinking - 'yeah, let's get rid of this perennial pro-bowl corner'.

But then I see Gruden.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Dispose of Wilks first & foremost. If we can bring in a HC that is a proven winner, then PP21 just may decide to hang on. No one will give us 2 ones, so try to hang on to him.

As Don Corleone said, “Give him an offer he can’t refuse.” Fire Wilks and give Peterson input on the new coach. Wilks has to go

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I'm looking at it as in that I'm interested less in maximizing compensation and more into trying to salvage the relationship of a lock down corner. If we are to right the overall ship, as you know, we are going to need one of those. Cardinal in hand rather than two picks in a bush.