15 thoughts - Chargers game

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 – I’m kind of proud that I watched the game all the way to the end.

2 – I became a fan after the Monday Night Meltdown against the Bears (don’t ask me why because I can’t tell you), but this entire season is, for me, easily the biggest embarrassment I have experienced with the Cards. I really feel for you guys who have followed the team for much longer than me.

3 – Doesn’t seem like Arians is coming back to save the Cards, but I was wondering that if he does indeed come out of retirement to coach the Browns, wouldn’t the Cards still hold his contract rights since he was never fired, making it necessary for the Browns to acquire him? You know, like the Raiders traded with the Seahawks for Marshawn Lynch when he came out of retirement. If so, what would Arians be worth to the Browns? At least a second round pick, right?

4 – I have been wondering if Steve Keim and Steve Wilks are simply not in sync? I mean, I don’t think Keim has suddenly become a bad general manager, but maybe he hasn’t provided the pieces that the coaching staff wanted either? I guess that actually would make him a bad general manager in some regard, but I still think it falls mostly on the coaching staff as the common distinction between a general manager and a head coach is that the general manager assembles the team while the head coach picks the coaching staff to coach said team. Obviously, it is best if the two are on the same page as Keim and Arians were, and I just think that since Keim did a good job back then, while the team is horrendous now, the arrow points at Wilks.

5 – After cornerbacks Leonard Johnson and Bené Benwikere got beat like a drum it did get better when David Amerson was put out there.

6 – It’s probably ignorant to believe that Nkemdiche has finally turned the corner, but I would keep him as a backup next season (and this thought is not based on this game, but it did confirm it). I think Corey Peters is a stud, and Rodney Gunter has probably played well enough to earn a contract extension, but I don’t think Olsen Pierre has followed up on last season’s promising play. I wouldn’t mind them spending a draftpick on a defensive tackle, but Nkemdiche has all the talent in the world, so why not giving him another chance if the alternative is worse anyway?

7 – At some point, T.J. Logan or Christian Kirk are going to break one for a kick six.

8 – I think it was a mistake by Al Holcomb to have the defense play flag football.

9 – Ken Whisenhunt humiliating the Cards. I’ve seen that before.

10 – I really, really, really hope Fitzgerald don’t retire after this season only because I don’t want to see him go out like this. On the other hand, I would certainly understand him.

11 – I didn’t agree with most others last week that offensive tackle Korey Cunningham played well, but I thought he did this time. After all, that was Melvin Ingram he held in check for most of the game. That’s one of the premier edge rushers in the game.

12 – Since they activated quarterback Charles Kanoff from the practice squad reportedly because other teams were sniffing around him, I guess he has a good chance to be the #1 backup next year.

13 – I am not at all sure that Michael Bidwill will fire Steve Wilks (in fact, I expect him not to), but neither do I see how he can defend not to.

14 – It’s not only how you act in successful times. It’s also how you react to adversity. I really look forward to following Rosen next year.

15 – I know some are hoping that the Cards will tank to get a better draftpick, and I know that some consider that to be a bad mentality, and – in my opinion – pretty badly calls out the people who disagree with that. Now, last week I described why tanking doesn’t exist in the NFL, but that doesn’t mean that fans can´t wish for their team to lose, and this is where my view comes in. Why is it not okay to want your team to be better next season? That can obviously happen in many ways, but if some feel that the best way is to get a better draftpick, why are those people not entitled to their opinion? Why must they endure being called losers for viewing things differently than others?

I don’t hope for it myself, but I understand the notion that sometimes you must lose in order to win.

Also, it’s almost unfair to all Cards-fans if these pathetic showings don’t result in at least some consolation with the #1 overall draft selection.

On that note it might interest some (as you might have guessed, I am one of them) that Football Outsiders has the Niners as a huge favorite to get the #1 pick with 43.7% chance while the Cards are second with 29.5% chance and the Raiders third with 21.5% chance. ESPN ranks the Cards with the best chance to get the pick with 43%, and they have the Niners second with 31% and the Raiders third with 18%. Obviously, the two sources use different metrics, so take it for what it’s worth. What I can calculate myself is the combined records of the remaining opponents for each of the three teams:

The Cards: 28-26-1

The Niners: 35-20

The Raiders: 35-19-1

So, as you can see, on paper, the Cards have by far the easiest remaining schedule, and lowest Strength of Schedule gets the highest pick if teams have equal records. Now, the Strength of Schedule will change from week to week, but if all three teams lose out, it looks like the Cards will have the #1 pick.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Wilks will be fired. I originally thought that MB would give him another year but they haven't been showing any improvement and are in fact getting embarrassing worse.
The fact that they are cutting players or putting them on IR with no involvement from Wilks tells me he is probably through.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
14 – It’s not only how you act in successful times. It’s also how you react to adversity. I really look forward to following Rosen next year.

Going COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC:

Agreed.

It means a little less for professional athletes but this is one of the best lessons that sports teaches people. Only a small percentage of athletes become professionals.

For the rest, sports are a way to learn life skills, social skills.

Learning how to work/play/fight through a losing battle is a life skill. Sometimes you have to take something on you know will end negatively.

I have played games in my life where the game was over 10 minutes into the game, but you have to keep playing. How you do that is something that is a valuable skill later in life.

To go back to the professionals? There are leaders like Fitzgerald that play hard, and lead no matter what, and there are players like Patrick Peterson that only knows how to play well, and lead when things are going well.

I have no basis to make this claim, but it is why when the stakes go up, so players rise to the occasion and others choke, and fumble punts.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have played games in my life where the game was over 10 minutes into the game, but you have to keep playing. How you do that is something that is a valuable skill later in life.

I played on a little league team that went 0-18. I got 2 hits the whole season, a nubber towards 3rd and a legit bloop to right field. I was scarred for life..... :D
We did win the sportsmanship trophy.. yippee!

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've played on more losing teams than winning teams but I always did my best. In 3 seasons in Little League, my team might have won 10 games total and I got 3 hits in 3 seasons. Once I got so Senior Little League(13-15), my game improved to where I hit over .500 my last year with a home run. Point is, I never stopped trying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
You have to be on the tank at this point. More L’s = better pick and better chance at a franchise overhaul

pmacLean

Veteran
Reaction score
1 – I’m kind of proud that I watched the game all the way to the end.

can't argue with that... I feel the same

10 – I really, really, really hope Fitzgerald don’t retire after this season only because I don’t want to see him go out like this. On the other hand, I would certainly understand him.

If Rosen would just THROW THE DAMN BALL to Fitz so he can get 4 catches and break a Rice record that NO ELSE IN THE FUTURE will ever break (most receptions for 1 team) ... then I hope Fitz says goodbye and signs for 1 more year with the RAMS, SAINTS, KC or (puke) PATRIOTS and has a chance at a ring (and f all you that say 'oh, he made lots of bucks here, so what ?) ... he would be the ONLY player ever to break a Rice record that actually has some cachet ... most recpts on 1 team... he deserves something for putting up with this sad sack organization... Rosen doesn't understand Fitz is notnecessarily covered just because someone is running with him ... you can say 'taht's because he is a rook and Warner took a few months to realize that was not a problem' ... fine, the fact is, he made a whole bunch of nobodies look good because they started throwing at him no matter what ... and the idiots that are gonna say, 'yeah, but he is slow now and doesn't separate' ... HE WAS ALWAYS SLOW ... and RARELY SEPARATED ... that's why he is the second greatest wide receiver to ever play and might have been the best if thsi sad effing sack organization had protected Warner and kept him going...

If Rosen doesn't start trying to Fitz.... often... then he will be revealed as a fraud (cerebral. studies the game.. if he doesn't milk Fitz it's all a fraud)... I hope he does well, but it may be that this team is just SO bad it will ruin him...

as a closing note, I would love to see this team trade PP21... my grandmother (dead for 40 years) could evade his pathetic attempts to tackle... I get it... in a man to man defense he shuts down half the field (unfortunately. wilkes (who should be fired) is in love with a zone that NONE of the current Cardinals have a clue of how to run ... and PP21 is extremely bad at that ... he is a one trick pony... trade him high to some team that loves man-to-man and get something out of it... in zone he is a detriment ..

pmacLean

Veteran
Reaction score
I've played on more losing teams than winning teams but I always did my best. In 3 seasons in Little League, my team might have won 10 games total and I got 3 hits in 3 seasons. Once I got so Senior Little League(13-15), my game improved to where I hit over .500 my last year with a home run. Point is, I never stopped trying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I played on a high school B-team (in a league where the only rule was, you cannot be over 18 at the end of the season, everyone on the city that was big but dumb academically was on the other team, we were shrimps compared to them)... we were all in the high school and never made the 'A' team because we weren't in shape (I admit we would scoot into concrete culverts and smoke a cig while everyone ran laps around the pond).. the last game we played we lost 42-7 (the team disintigrated after that... 4 people from the team were told to report to the high school A team coach (who watched the game) because we made the team .. all 4 were from the defense.. they scored 3 times on the defense... all the rest was on the offense... at one point we stopped them with 3 tries on our 1 (and that team eventually won the city championship)... the O came out, fumbled in the end zone and they scored a TD... sorta like this Card mess... the point being NO ONE on that D gave up the whole game (I lunched a knee near the half, walked it off and went right back in for the rest of the game, then spent 3 months in a cast

my point is the same as yours ... you NEVER stop (especially if you are a D) ... these guys, PP21 in particular, look like they are trying to avoid getting hurt ... trade or cut them all...

some guy was almost (or maybe was) hounded off this site for dissing PP21... guess what people ? he
was entirely right ... pp21 is a front runner ... he is not a football player... he doesn't deserve to carry Fitz's jock... F him

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
15 – I know some are hoping that the Cards will tank to get a better draftpick, and I know that some consider that to be a bad mentality, and – in my opinion – pretty badly calls out the people who disagree with that. Now, last week I described why tanking doesn’t exist in the NFL, but that doesn’t mean that fans can´t wish for their team to lose, and this is where my view comes in. Why is it not okay to want your team to be better next season? That can obviously happen in many ways, but if some feel that the best way is to get a better draftpick, why are those people not entitled to their opinion? Why must they endure being called losers for viewing things differently than others?

I don’t hope for it myself, but I understand the notion that sometimes you must lose in order to win.

Also, it’s almost unfair to all Cards-fans if these pathetic showings don’t result in at least some consolation with the #1 overall draft selection.

On that note it might interest some (as you might have guessed, I am one of them) that Football Outsiders has the Niners as a huge favorite to get the #1 pick with 43.7% chance while the Cards are second with 29.5% chance and the Raiders third with 21.5% chance. ESPN ranks the Cards with the best chance to get the pick with 43%, and they have the Niners second with 31% and the Raiders third with 18%. Obviously, the two sources use different metrics, so take it for what it’s worth. What I can calculate myself is the combined records of the remaining opponents for each of the three teams:

So, as you can see, on paper, the Cards have by far the easiest remaining schedule, and lowest Strength of Schedule gets the highest pick if teams have equal records. Now, the Strength of Schedule will change from week to week, but if all three teams lose out, it looks like the Cards will have the #1 pick.

I don't think this Cards team is even good enough to tank it. They just suck. They couldn't even beat a team that WANTED to lose.

I still hope for a win each week but this year would be delighted to see at least some EFFORT and HEART from this team. It sure appears they have quit on this coach and that is a shame.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
1 – I’m kind of proud that I watched the game all the way to the end. Kudos to you. I'm glad I had a College BB game to attend.

2 – I became a fan after the Monday Night Meltdown against the Bears (don’t ask me why because I can’t tell you), but this entire season is, for me, easily the biggest embarrassment I have experienced with the Cards. I really feel for you guys who have followed the team for much longer than me. Been following since 1964, and yes, Cardinal fans deserve better. I remember turning the TV & lights off in my home office after that Bears game. I sat in the dark quiet for almost an hour before actually going to bed. The only satisfaction that night was that I knew it was time to move away from Denny Green. As bad & unlucky as Denny was, he was eons better than Wilks.

3 – Doesn’t seem like Arians is coming back to save the Cards, but I was wondering that if he does indeed come out of retirement to coach the Browns, wouldn’t the Cards still hold his contract rights since he was never fired, making it necessary for the Browns to acquire him? You know, like the Raiders traded with the Seahawks for Marshawn Lynch when he came out of retirement. If so, what would Arians be worth to the Browns? At least a second round pick, right? BA isn't coming out of retirement & the Browns wouldn't hire him anyways. Let's not kid ourselves, MB ran BA out of AZ. The organization tried to put a pretty face on it, but image is a close second to winning when it comes to Michael. The F bombs & boozing made MB's skin crawl. He lasted as long as we won. When we missed the playoffs 2 years in a row, MB forced BA out.

4 – I have been wondering if Steve Keim and Steve Wilks are simply not in sync? I mean, I don’t think Keim has suddenly become a bad general manager, but maybe he hasn’t provided the pieces that the coaching staff wanted either? I guess that actually would make him a bad general manager in some regard, but I still think it falls mostly on the coaching staff as the common distinction between a general manager and a head coach is that the general manager assembles the team while the head coach picks the coaching staff to coach said team. Obviously, it is best if the two are on the same page as Keim and Arians were, and I just think that since Keim did a good job back then, while the team is horrendous now, the arrow points at Wilks. BASK were 2 peas in a pod. They were neighbors, and were inseparable. They ate together, boozed together, and families literally hung out together. When MB ran BA out, he wanted to hire the antithesis of BA. He wanted a young, non-boozing, non-cussing image on that sideline. In the process, we the fans, got screwed. So MB forced Wilks on Keim. To make it somewhat palatable, he extended SK & let SK bring in McCoy as the OC. McCoy was never Wilk's guy as OC.

5 – After cornerbacks Leonard Johnson and Bené Benwikere got beat like a drum it did get better when David Amerson was put out there. Perhaps, way too little & way too late.

6 – It’s probably ignorant to believe that Nkemdiche has finally turned the corner, but I would keep him as a backup next season (and this thought is not based on this game, but it did confirm it). I think Corey Peters is a stud, and Rodney Gunter has probably played well enough to earn a contract extension, but I don’t think Olsen Pierre has followed up on last season’s promising play. I wouldn’t mind them spending a draftpick on a defensive tackle, but Nkemdiche has all the talent in the world, so why not giving him another chance if the alternative is worse anyway? Point taken. Unfortunately, the front office needs to be blown up & who knows what the new regime will want to do.

7 – At some point, T.J. Logan or Christian Kirk are going to break one for a kick six. I like both of these guys!!

8 – I think it was a mistake by Al Holcomb to have the defense play flag football. Al may very well end up being a decent DC down the road, but he needs another 5 years as a position coach before that comes to fruition.

9 – Ken Whisenhunt humiliating the Cardinals as I’ve seen that before. Love him or hate him, I'll always have nothing but respect for Whiz. As a LONG SUFFERING fan, only Whiz brought us to the brink of greatness. No other coach has or may ever eclipse what he did. If this franchise wasn't dysfunctional, we would have had someone ready to replace Warner.

10 – I really, really, really hope Fitzgerald don’t retire after this season only because I don’t want to see him go out like this. On the other hand, I would certainly understand him. Exactly! The greatest Cardinal ever & no one is even a close second. That's no knock on past great Cardinals, because there are many. Fitz is just that special.

11 – I didn’t agree with most others last week that offensive tackle Korey Cunningham played well, but I thought he did this time. After all, that was Melvin Ingram he held in check for most of the game. That’s one of the premier edge rushers in the game. I want to see more of Cunningham.

12 – Since they activated quarterback Charles Kanoff from the practice squad reportedly because other teams were sniffing around him, I guess he has a good chance to be the #1 backup next year. Give him some playing time too. I worry that Rosen is going to end up with some horrific injury behind this line.

13 – I am not at all sure that Michael Bidwill will fire Steve Wilks (in fact, I expect him not to), but neither do I see how he can defend not to. Knowing how the Bidwill's operate, no one can be sure he will fire Wilks. MB needs to man up now & save this franchise. Rosen cannot survive another year under this staff. His development is already ********. Another year that resembles this & we'll have another David Carr on our hands.

14 – It’s not only how you act in successful times. It’s also how you react to adversity. I really look forward to following Rosen next year. Again, it'll depend on who the GM/HC is. Unless major changes are made, it'll be more of the same & we'll be unwatchable. Keeping Wilks another year, will ensure that he gets fired no more than 5-6 games into next season. That'll just keep this franchise in a free fall.

15 – I know some are hoping that the Cards will tank to get a better draftpick, and I know that some consider that to be a bad mentality, and – in my opinion – pretty badly calls out the people who disagree with that. Now, last week I described why tanking doesn’t exist in the NFL, but that doesn’t mean that fans can´t wish for their team to lose, and this is where my view comes in. Why is it not okay to want your team to be better next season? That can obviously happen in many ways, but if some feel that the best way is to get a better draftpick, why are those people not entitled to their opinion? Why must they endure being called losers for viewing things differently than others? I'm 100% in your camp on this one. The Cardinals are renown for winning meaningless games late in the season, which drives me crazy. We had both Manning brothers nailed down, but won our season finales to lose both. Granted, we ended up with Fitz when we lost out on Eli. But, when we lost out on Peyton, we ended up with Wadsworth. And, we all know how that turned out. Those are franchise altering occurrences. They are reasons why we never truly had a franchise QB our entire time in AZ. For all intents and purposes, Warner was here for a quick cup of coffee.

We can only hope and pray that plays out>

WindCardinal

All Star
Reaction score
As far as number 1 draft pick goes, since our schedule nearly mirrors the 49ers, it will all depends on the records of the 2 opponents that are different.
49ers - Giants(3-8), Buccaneers(4-7)
Cards- Redskins(6-5), Falcons(4-7)

So it’s going to be somewhat difficult. (assuming cards and 49ers lose out)

If Tampa beats Atlanta and New York beats Washington in these next few weeks the chances go way up.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
They should have a good chance at #1. Worst case scenario they still end up with Nick Bosa.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Arizona Cardinals have a 43 percent chance of earning the No. 1 overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft and a 99 percent chance of a top-5 pick.

The San Francisco 49ers have a 31 percent change of the No. 1 overall pick and a 95 percent chance of a top-5 pick.

The Oakland Raiders have an 18 percent chance of the top pick and a 94 percent chance of a top-5 pick.

The Cardinals, 49ers and Raiders are all 2-9.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/s...d-first-round-picks-1-32-date-tracker-results

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Here's the deal: Losing is poison. Losing on purpose is even greater poison. This isn't the NBA, where a single superstar is going to change the complexion of a franchise. Unless it's a quarterback, one player isn't going to make the difference between a five win team and a nine win team.

Even more so, the hit rate for Top 5 picks is maybe 50%? So you're wasting a season in the 8-12 year (Max) shelf life of your best players. For rookies, you're telling them that it's okay to lose — just look out for yourself. You're asking 40-50 players to put their health on the line, but not play too well, because we're trying to be bad.

I guess you can wish to lose as a hedge against disappointment, but I don't understand anyone who feels like Sunday's game was a win. It feels awful. It's literally perverse to feel good about that.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I played on one losing team in all my life and it was miserable. Favorite sport was in college coed softball where you had to chug a beer at each base, we obviously added that rule.

Hit two home runs only because I bat left handed and the ball went across a creek and into some bushes both times but that was a ton of fun.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Here's the deal: Losing is poison. Losing on purpose is even greater poison. This isn't the NBA, where a single superstar is going to change the complexion of a franchise. Unless it's a quarterback, one player isn't going to make the difference between a five win team and a nine win team.

Even more so, the hit rate for Top 5 picks is maybe 50%? So you're wasting a season in the 8-12 year (Max) shelf life of your best players. For rookies, you're telling them that it's okay to lose — just look out for yourself. You're asking 40-50 players to put their health on the line, but not play too well, because we're trying to be bad.

I guess you can wish to lose as a hedge against disappointment, but I don't understand anyone who feels like Sunday's game was a win. It feels awful. It's literally perverse to feel good about that.

Well Said Sir, Well Said!

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Going COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC:

Agreed.

It means a little less for professional athletes but this is one of the best lessons that sports teaches people. Only a small percentage of athletes become professionals.

For the rest, sports are a way to learn life skills, social skills.

Learning how to work/play/fight through a losing battle is a life skill. Sometimes you have to take something on you know will end negatively.

To go back to the professionals? There are leaders like Fitzgerald that play hard, and lead no matter what, and there are players like Patrick Peterson that only knows how to play well, and lead when things are going well.

I have no basis to make this claim, but it is why when the stakes go up, so players rise to the occasion and others choke, and fumble punts.

You are absolutely right, Rugby. It’s a much bigger life-lesson than sport-lesson.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
As far as number 1 draft pick goes, since our schedule nearly mirrors the 49ers, it will all depends on the records of the 2 opponents that are different.
49ers - Giants(3-8), Buccaneers(4-7)
Cards- Redskins(6-5), Falcons(4-7)

So it’s going to be somewhat difficult. (assuming cards and 49ers lose out)

If Tampa beats Atlanta and New York beats Washington in these next few weeks the chances go way up.

You are correct, WindCardinal, and as I understand it, that is the main reason why the two metrics I mentioned (and probably others as well) have different projections. Football Outsiders projects draft order by using their current DVOA ranking system for every team as well as home field advantage, and plays out the season in 30.000 simulations, after which they get the odds. ESPN uses their Football Power Index, which bases the game probabilities largely on the model’s rating system of each team as well as home field advantage, and simulates the remainder of the season 10.000 times.

So, both systems are based on the main source’s own rating system, and thus the disagreement must come from them rating the three teams, as well as their remaining opponents, differently.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I think you are right, and other than that I took the players’ and coach’s perspective, while you took the fans’, your post is basically a mirror of what I wrote last week, and the point is that for various reasons nobody on the team cares about that draftpick. The thing is, though, that not everyone thinks about it that way, and that is the important part. The owner and the general manager have to think about the situation within the organization and take everything into account in any decision. The fans do not. The fans can think whatever way they want and still expect the organization to put a respectable product on the field.

I personally has another approach, but I certainly understand and respect that other have their own opinions, and that was the gist of the paragraph.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This is an interesting article with some interesting facts

https://www.revengeofthebirds.com/2...story-steve-keim-michael-bidwill-bruce-arians

Here is a excerpt: They’ve spent three top 45 picks on linebackers, and only one played linebacker in college.

Thank you for linking to the article, Cardpa!

The other day I read an article that examines how defenses can counter the explosive offenses nowadays. It is based on statements and analyses from both defensive- and offensive minds at various levels. You can read it by clicking here.

The conclusion is that you need hybrid defenders.

Also, out of everyone on the Cards’ defense, Budda Baker might be the one who are being deployed at most different positions, and I don’t think he has been a disappointment to anyone.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave