15 thoughts - Raiders game

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 – You have got to be kidding me! That was the Raiders! The freaking Raiders! I thought for sure they were the worst team in the NFL. Well, I guess the Cardinals really taught me a lesson, huh?

2 - Andy Lee might be the most effective player on this team. At the very least it is a close call between him, Fitzgerald and Zeke Turner.

3 – So, let’s talk offensive line: Good thing Korey Cunningham is not the first team starter. Good thing Oday Aboushi is not the first team starter. Bad thing Andre Smith is the first team starter.

4 – They might have something in T. J. Logan as a kick returner. He’s pretty exciting.

5 – Besides getting David Johnson involved, I don’t think there has been any bigger improvement with Leftwich than third down. In the first seven games with McCoy as the coordinator the Cards converted 18 third downs. In the three games with Leftwich as the coordinator they have converted 16 third downs.

6 – Can’t they just induct Fitzgerald into the Hall of Fame now even though he is still playing? I mean, why wait?

7 – Yeah, during this game, and while focusing a bit on the offensive line, I was thinking about a press conference after last week’s game. Did you also hear Wilks kind of throwing the unit under the bus? “It’s tough. Who are you going to get (free agents)? We just have to be a little more creative.” Or what about this: “The personnel are not going to change, so we have to find ways within the system and the scheme to help [Rosen] out.” He’s obviously right, but come on man, don’t say that. Am I over-interpreting it? Some days ago, I re-watched the Bruce Arians episode on “A Football Life.” At one point Keim says regarding the 2014-season where they had a myriad of injuries: “most coaches would curl up in a bar (kind of ironic, by the way, to hear him say that) and tell you “we’re not good enough”, yet [Arians] took the other route and he said “I’ll never let those guys in the locker room know that I don’t believe in them””.

8 – Man, Corey Peters is underrated. I don’t think the running game woes was his fault at all.

9 – In 2016 the Tampa Bay Buccaneers fired their head coach, Lovie Smith, and promoted their offensive coordinator, Dirk Koetter, to full time head coach. Reportedly they did so because Koetter was getting attention from other teams regarding their open head coach position, yet the Buccaneers absolutely loved him and didn’t want to lose him. Last year the Tennessee Titans made Mike Vrabel their head coach after only one year of experience as a coordinator. I am not implying anything. I am merely bringing it to the boards’ attention. #Leftwich

10 – I owe this to a lot of fans, and especially to Ouchie: I can only go off the TV, but I was proud of the fans. Obviously, people from Los Angeles has much more important things to think about right now, but the Raiders has a huge fanbase and certainly not all are coming from Los Angeles, so I think my point is still valid: The Red Sea were very loud on every decisive down, and you guys protected your house fantastic. You should be proud of yourself.

11 – Right now, you could argue that Josh Rosen seems like part of the problem and not the solution, but unless this season is affecting him mentally (and why would it? Go look at his last season at UCLA) he will learn from this, and I have no doubt he will come back even stronger.

12 – Don’t give me any of that nonsense about anyone tanking. Not before this game, not after this game, not regarding the Raiders, not regarding anyone. It does not exist in the NFL.

First, every player, coach, personnel guy and owner are professional.

Second, there is reasons some of the players are considered top players at their position, and that they are getting paid the big bucks, and the primary reason is that they don’t lay down, so you know you will almost always get quality play from them. If they didn’t continually prove their abilities, they would not be considered great players. I doubt they would trade their stardom for being considered mediocre at best.

Third, many of the players are fighting to be on the team next year, and thus fighting for their only income. A lot of them has responsibilities that are dependent on that income. Runningback Chase Edmonds has a daughter. Cornerback Brandon Williams has two daughters. Safety Tre Boston has a daughter. There are other of the same stories on the team, and also, think about how many are married or have responsibilities for other reasons. You really think those guys don’t care about getting cut as long as the team gets a higher draft spot?

Fourth, the players are responsible to each other as well, and I would assume that word gets around really quick in the NFL. You think any player would want a reputation around the entire league for wanting to quit and lose?

Fifth, the coaches are by definition on the hot seat if they don’t win, and don’t think it is restricted to only Steve Wilks or any other head coach. Most of the other coaches on the staff risk the exact same thing. You think they will help the team get in a great position to win the offseason though they won’t be there themselves?

Sixth, I know you can’t compare sports to “real jobs” 1:1, but how many of you have done a bad job on purpose to help your boss decide to?

13 – The newly picked up tight end, John Phillips, as well as tight end Jermaine Gresham can really block. They might be the best offensive linemen on the team.

14 – Why do you ice the kicker? I mean, it’s a complete toss-up. Either he makes the kick or not. If you don’t ice him, he either make the kick or not. If you do ice him, afterwards he either makes the kick or not. Whether icing him gives him more time to think about it, or maybe even give him more nerves, he either makes the kick or not. There simply is no rational reason to do it.

15 – This has nothing to do with the game, but are any of you watching the World Championship Game in chess? I am, and though it is obviously not very actioned-packed, I think it is highly fascinating, exciting and entertaining. It’s between the five-time world champion, Norwegian Magnus Carlsen, and the guy challenging him, American Fabiano Caruana. They are playing best out of 12 games, and the first eight games has ended in a draw. They are simply too good, so they basically cancel each other out. I would encourage you to at least give it a try.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
14 - lots of missed FG's this year. Kicking is mostly mental and this guy is a rookie who has missed quite a few already and is on a new team.

I can't argue with icing a kicker.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I agree with almost everything you said Gandhi, but let’s be real here BA at times thru guys under the bus as well. It happens.

I’d still fire Wilks sorry ass though & have been on board with it since the Donkeys ass whooping

Fiasco

Tyler Durden
Reaction score
5 – Besides getting David Johnson involved, I don’t think there has been any bigger improvement with Leftwich than third down. In the first seven games with McCoy as the coordinator the Cards converted 18 third downs. In the three games with Leftwich as the coordinator they have converted 16 third downs.

McCoy 7 games 18 converted third downs
Leftwitch 3 games 16 converted third downs (that's twice the number of converted 1st downs btw)

So glad McCoy is gonnnnneeee

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
1. Bleep.
2. Bleep
3. Bleep
.....4 - 15. More Bleeps.

That's all i got.

If you were to compose a script for how to turn a winnable game in the 4Q into an ugly defeat, you've got the template right here.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
McCoy 7 games 18 converted third downs
Leftwitch 3 games 16 converted third downs (that's twice the number of converted 1st downs btw)

So glad McCoy is gonnnnneeee
To be fair, GB with one of the best QB's in our lifetime were 3 of 11 Thursday night.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
14 – Why do you ice the kicker? I mean, it’s a complete toss-up. Either he makes the kick or not. If you don’t ice him, he either make the kick or not. If you do ice him, afterwards he either makes the kick or not. Whether icing him gives him more time to think about it, or maybe even give him more nerves, he either makes the kick or not. There simply is no rational reason to do it.
Wikipedia mentions three studies, which each studied this issue with different criteria:
- one [2001-2009] found that icing the kicker certainly does not produce the desired effect, and in some cases might even backfire. Moskowitz found that when an opposing coach iced the kicker with 15 seconds or fewer left to go in the game, those kickers tended to be more accurate.
- one [2002-2003] studied "pressure kicks" – those made with 3 minutes or less remaining in the game or overtime period which would tie the game or put the kicking team in the lead – in the 40-55 yard range, icing the kicker caused the percentage of successful attempts to drop by about ten percent for an average kicker on a sunny day. On shorter kicks, the effect was found to be negligible.
- one [1991-2005] found that "pressure kicks" (defined as above except within two minutes, not three) ... showed an insignificant difference between non-iced kicks and iced kicks.

...dave

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't remember the game, but Jason Garrett iced his own kicker once, he missed

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I agree with almost everything you said Gandhi, but let’s be real here BA at times thru guys under the bus as well. It happens.

Not in a desperate situation at 2-8. I don’t know. Maybe I am reading too much into it.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
1 –

12 – Don’t give me any of that nonsense about anyone tanking. Not before this game, not after this game, not regarding the Raiders, not regarding anyone. It does not exist in the NFL.

First, every player, coach, personnel guy and owner are professional.

Second, there is reasons some of the players are considered top players at their position, and that they are getting paid the big bucks, and the primary reason is that they don’t lay down, so you know you will almost always get quality play from them. If they didn’t continually prove their abilities, they would not be considered great players. I doubt they would trade their stardom for being considered mediocre at best.

Third, many of the players are fighting to be on the team next year, and thus fighting for their only income. A lot of them has responsibilities that are dependent on that income. Runningback Chase Edmonds has a daughter. Cornerback Brandon Williams has two daughters. Safety Tre Boston has a daughter. There are other of the same stories on the team, and also, think about how many are married or have responsibilities for other reasons. You really think those guys don’t care about getting cut as long as the team gets a higher draft spot?

Fourth, the players are responsible to each other as well, and I would assume that word gets around really quick in the NFL. You think any player would want a reputation around the entire league for wanting to quit and lose?

Fifth, the coaches are by definition on the hot seat if they don’t win, and don’t think it is restricted to only Steve Wilks or any other head coach. Most of the other coaches on the staff risk the exact same thing. You think they will help the team get in a great position to win the offseason though they won’t be there themselves?

Sixth, I know you can’t compare sports to “real jobs” 1:1, but how many of you have done a bad job on purpose to help your boss decide to?

I love 12 and agree 100% In the history of sports you don't think one person would have wrote a book, gone to the press, or filed a law suit after they got fired about a team losing on purpose?

It mind boggling that people would think it is even possible.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
14 - lots of missed FG's this year. Kicking is mostly mental and this guy is a rookie who has missed quite a few already and is on a new team.

I can't argue with icing a kicker.

Boom. Icing the kicker worked again...its such a mental position.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Boom. Icing the kicker worked again...its such a mental position.
Isn’t it crazy that it’s seems like 90% of the time when a K is iced & he goes ahead & kicks it, it seems whatever happened before the timeout the opposite happens next lol

The Kraken

Veteran
Reaction score
I love it when the defending team has 3 timeouts, ices the kicker twice and lets him kick out of rhythm on the expected 3rd...