Suggestions for our next coach?!?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Rams are averaging 1 point per game less on defense than we are. Our defense is playoff-caliber. That's not the problem here.

Yeah, I don't know what the problem is with our OL health. It's been awful and dragging down that entire side of the football.

Yeah obviously the defense is the strength of the team. Maybe they would be considered playoff caliber if the Offense was a top 10 unit as they wouldn't be on the field as much. However there are still several glaring holes that need to be filled next season.

Nkemdiche has been a failure as the 3-technique. I really thought that he would blossom in a 4-3 but he clearly just doesn't get it. His coaches and teammates just can't trust that he will be where he is supposed to be.

The Cards have only one LB that they can trust and even then he is average at best.

Aside from PP no CB has stepped up this year. In previous seasons the Cards managed to find a serviceable CB to play opposite of PP (Powers, Cromartie, Cooper, Williams). No such luck this year.

All is not lost. If the Cards can re-sign Golden at DE, bring in 1-2 LBs as starters, find a decent #2 CB and find a stud 3-Technique they could have a special defense next season. Then at least one side of the ball would be set.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yeah obviously the defense is the strength of the team. Maybe they would be considered playoff caliber if the Offense was a top 10 unit as they wouldn't be on the field as much. However there are still several glaring holes that need to be filled next season.

Nkemdiche has been a failure as the 3-technique. I really thought that he would blossom in a 4-3 but he clearly just doesn't get it. His coaches and teammates just can't trust that he will be where he is supposed to be.

The Cards have only one LB that they can trust and even then he is average at best.

Aside from PP no CB has stepped up this year. In previous seasons the Cards managed to find a serviceable CB to play opposite of PP (Powers, Cromartie, Cooper, Williams). No such luck this year.

All is not lost. If the Cards can re-sign Golden at DE, bring in 1-2 LBs as starters, find a decent #2 CB and find a stud 3-Technique they could have a special defense next season. Then at least one side of the ball would be set.

Our offense is very bad. 31st in the NFL in scoring. 31st in DVOA. If our offense was merely average, we'd be a team in the hunt for the playoffs. We'd basically be Houston.

Red Bird

Veteran
Reaction score
Don't know but whoever it is I hope they bring Bowles with them to be their DC

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
The Rams are averaging 1 point per game less on defense than we are. Our defense is playoff-caliber. That's not the problem here.

Yeah, I don't know what the problem is with our OL health. It's been awful and dragging down that entire side of the football.
This defense isn’t playoff caliber running a 4-3, let’s be real here K9.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Re: The defense

The terrible run defense may yield a D that may not give up many points, but still makes it hard to win

Oak yesterday just ground out the 2nd and 3rd quarters with the run game -- only the fact that they settled for FGs kept the Cards in that game.

Think about that: Facing a team with Brandon Lafell as it's #1 wr, and three guys at WR only their mothers would recognize (btw: Lafell left injured during the game) -- the Raiders still ran effectively. How is that possible?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Not sure how valuable that judgement is the day after a tough loss.

I wouldn't mind having the offensive mind that developed Pat Mahomes. There are plenty of seasoned defensive coordinators available who you can pair him with.

I don't think we have a chance with Riley: I don't think much of Swinney.
I would take Kingsbury and Todd Bowles as DC.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Bowles, but I’m not sure with his extremely aggressive defense against play-action godly teams like LAR & SF.

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't want either Harbaugh, that much I know. With the way the game is now I think the natural lineage to a successful HC is coming from being a successful OC. There is a lot parity in defense when you have a sound DC and roster. We've had a top rated defense with TB and JB, neither of whom were probably on anyone's radar as solid DC's at the time. Point is, getting a DC that can put together a competitive defense isn't hard. What is separating winners from losers is offense, and finding a those OC's that can make an average roster look like all-pros is hard.

I suppose the fantasy option is somehow Belichick and McDaniels have a falling out because Belichick says he's going to coach until he's 80 and they release Josh from his contract for a couple modest picks. The whole reason McDaniels bailed on the Indy job and locked himself into being a OC for five more years when he could be a HC was they offered him a ton of cash with the promise he would be HC sometime within that 5 years. I'm sure he wanted to stay in NE and keep his family there, so if the money was close and all he had to do was wait up to 5 years to get his dream job I guess that's what kept him. Knowing how Belichick operates I could totally see him trying to screw that all up and insist on continuing coaching, but I have a feeling Kraft would fire Bill and go with McDaniels if Bill didn't retire on schedule.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Honestly, I kind of don’t want anyone that isn’t from Andy Reid’s & possibly now Sean McVay’s coaching tree

Unless Lincoln Riley.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Honestly, I kind of don’t want anyone that isn’t from Andy Reid’s & possibly now Sean McVay’s coaching tree

Unless Lincoln Riley.
Very leery of Lincoln Riley. It's easy to look good when you're have more talent than 95% of the teams you're playing against. And, it's usually a pretty big talent gap at that. I thought the exact same thing when it came to Chip Kelly and think the same with Urban Meyer.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
My Madden 12 squad with Skelton as QB won 7 championships in 10 seasons. We built a team with a foundation made of bricks and due to my lockerroom leadership, we overcame many obstacles and adversities. The three years we lost were due to players not executing plays.

#doubledeuce

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
HOF'er
Pedigree similar to Arians and Whisenhunt
Did a decent job as Titan head coach
Will fix the Offensive line
Ran 3-4 defense at Titans that fits Cardinals personnel
Stand up guy to his coaches (like Arians was). Titans fired Munchak as he refused to let his assistants go to keep his job

After Wilks fiasco, no flashy hires. Munchak's quiet blue collar leadership is what Cardinals need.
Haha are you saying wilkswas a “flashy” hire? Wtf?!?

Last edited:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Mr. Miyagi

He can heal Joshua-son Rosen whenever he is killed behind this offensive line.

You must be registered for see images attach

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Very leery of Lincoln Riley. It's easy to look good when you're have more talent than 95% of the teams you're playing against. And, it's usually a pretty big talent gap at that. I thought the exact same thing when it came to Chip Kelly and think the same with Urban Meyer.

Definitely with Urban Meyer. Dunno about Chip Kelly; Oregon's program wasn't much before he got there, but they definitely had the resources to make an impression as the years went on.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Eric Bieniemy, Pete Carmichael, Mike Groh,...just throwing out some names not mentioned

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA