Ridiculous Hiring Blunder (Cardinals Never Trend Setters)

AZ Shocker

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I recently heard on ESPN radio that 28 NFL teams sent their scouts and coaches to the University of Oklahoma this past summer to watch them practice and learn a little something from an offensive standpoint. I wonder what 4 NFL teams DID NOT send their people to watch. Could we be one of them??? IdK.

Their coach will probably wind up as the next Dallas Cowboys coach. Bidwill hiring Wilks was a HUGE mistake for so many reasons. Why take a defensive coordinator and make him a head coach in this new offensive NFL??? The whole league is geared toward offensive play calling and new designs. All the rules FAVOR the offense 100%.

Wilks would've should've been on NOBODY'S list of head coaching hires. How the hell could he been on our list????

Stupid hire. Stupid.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Why the hell would NFL coaches go watch an Oklahoma practice to "Learn something offensively?" That is ridiculous!

Because innovation comes from all places? The Eagles coach talked quite a bit about how he used OKU's plays during their march to the Super Bowl. The Super Bowl was essentially a Big 12 game.

Why wouldn't you want to find out more about how to score a gajillion points every game?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Why the hell would NFL coaches go watch an Oklahoma practice to "Learn something offensively?" That is ridiculous!
Well, it's widely known that Bill Bilichek routinely observes Mike Leach a d his offense.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because innovation comes from all places? The Eagles coach talked quite a bit about how he used OKU's plays during their march to the Super Bowl. The Super Bowl was essentially a Big 12 game.

Why wouldn't you want to find out more about how to score a gajillion points every game?
It is a common occurrence and has been for quite awhile.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

So the Scouts and Coaches from all 32 teams head out to watch a college practice together to learn?

Is it some sort of giant NFL team building thing I've never heard of? Do they all do trust falls there at the end of practice. I feel for the coach who gets paired up with Andy Reid during the trust fall exercise.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
So the Scouts and coaches from all 32 teams head out to watch a college practice together to learn?

What is it a giant NFL team building thing? Do they all do trust falls there at the end of practice. I feel for the coach who gets paired up with Andy Reid during the trust fall exercise.
Are you being intentionally obtuse?

Teams send a representative — sometimes a coach, sometimes a scout — to go visit the coaching staff and pick their brains about how they work. Most coaches are excited to share the information and network professionally — both ways. Almost every coach at this level considers himself a teacher first (you'll hear it from the coaches here). They're happy to pass on what they know.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you being intentionally obtuse?

Teams send a representative — sometimes a coach, sometimes a scout — to go visit the coaching staff and pick their brains about how they work. Most coaches are excited to share the information and network professionally — both ways. Almost every coach at this level considers himself a teacher first (you'll hear it from the coaches here). They're happy to pass on what they know.
Coaches i.e. Chip Kelly, Mike Leach, Lincoln Riley have been visited quite often by NFL Coaches, i.e. Bill B. Andy Reid, etc. picking up concepts and techniques for up tempo offenses. Not knowing this is not a reason to believe it does not happen. It is well documented.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Coaches i.e. Chip Kelly, Mike Leach, Lincoln Riley have been visited quite often by NFL Coaches, i.e. Bill B. Andy Reid, etc. picking up concepts and techniques for up tempo offenses. Not knowing this is not a reason to believe it does not happen. It is well documented.

Sure a coach here and a coach there visit and they talk football while scouting players. It happens all the time.

The OP said that 28 teams sent scouts and coaches to learn about the offense from watching Oklahoma practices.

I'm calling BS. My guess is the teams there where there to scout players for the most part.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Sure a coach here and a coach there visit and they talk football while scouting players. It happens all the time.

The OP said that 28 teams sent scouts and coaches to learn about the offense from watching Oklahoma practices.

I'm calling BS. My guess is the teams there where there to scout players for the most part.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/co...-jerry-jones-consider-oklahomas-lincoln-riley

It's Kirk Heirbstreit, but this is a number that I've heard around.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/co...-jerry-jones-consider-oklahomas-lincoln-riley

It's Kirk Heirbstreit, but this is a number that I've heard around.

I poked around and found this that Clarifies Heirbstreit's comment:

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/co...coln-riley-wants-clarify-reports-nfl-interest

Slow down, Riley said at Big 12 media days on Monday.

"That got blown out of proportion a little bit," the second-year Sooners head coach said.

Some NFL staffers had come to Norman to scout NFL talent, Riley clarified. The Browns selected quarterback Baker Mayfield first overall in the 2018 draft. Offensive tackle Orlando Brown and tight end Mark Andrews was drafted in the third round, followed by linebacker Ogbonnia Okoronkwo in the fifth. Eleven more Sooners signed with NFL teams as undrafted free agents this spring.

So teams journeyed to Norman to talk about specific players, at times. Riley declined when asked to highlight any specific conversations of interest but said conversations with NFL teams varied in length. Some lasted just a few minutes on a pro day or scouting workout; others ventured deeper into scheme intricacies and best team management practices.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
the thread title is way over the top:

we have no idea if the Cards were there or were not

plenty of real issues to lose our minds over......

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
In over 20 years of coaching soccer I have always observed other coaches looking to pick up a tip or two. Even if I thought the coach was awful I would still watch because there were times I even learned something from them. It may not have been a big thing but it was something to add to my arsenal of knowledge. The learning never stops. If you think you already have seen it all and there is nothing left to learn yo are only fooling yourself.

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You’re right, the Wilks hire was perplexing as the league is moving to all our offense .

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You’re right, the Wilks hire was perplexing as the league is moving to all our offense .

If anything, this understates it. The Monday Night game was a perfect example. With the new rules favoring offense, creative play-calling, misdirection, and exploiting mismatches is the new way forward. And we brought in ... Mike McCoy? Not only that, we bring in a smash-mouth, pound the rock conservative head coach when the game is becoming more dynamic.

Hiring a staff with those tendencies might not have been a problem ten years ago. In 2018, it's outdated and if we don't adjust the modern game is going to pass us by.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
the thread title is way over the top:

we have no idea if the Cards were there or were not

plenty of real issues to lose our minds over......
Agree.

I'd add one thing though:

Compared to other NFL teams the Cards - at least on face value - "play dumb" Logically, we should be the last team to ignore any opportunity to learn to get better.

Southpaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me, the issue is not whether a H-C comes with an "O" or "D" background but rather the coordinators he chooses on both sides of the ball and the freedom he gives them to implement their schemes.
I would like to think that is entirely true, but that D dominant side of those coaches brains seems to kick into gear when game turning moments come.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Agree.

I'd add one thing though:

Compared to other NFL teams the Cards - at least on face value - "play dumb"

The Cards were among the first to buy and use the Virtual Reality system for the players

there are a variety of things installed in the training facility to improve recovery, health, etc

they installed an indoor, AC'd practice facility over concerns that practicing in 105 early in the season was draining players

im not going to claim they are leading the league in all things, or, that all is well with the football team

but im not buying the premise of the thread that says the organization is backward, lacks innovation, isn't willing to try new things, etc.

occams razor says they are 2-8 because they made a series of bad player decisions over the past three years and (likely) a bad HC decision this past offseason

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

WHY? WHY YOU ASK???

Because we have David freaking Johnson!!! And if you ram him up the middle at least 12 times, you're bound to get 8 yards at least once. :biglaugh:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Cards were among the first to buy and use the Virtual Reality system for the players

there are a variety of things installed in the training facility to improve recovery, health, etc

they installed an indoor, AC'd practice facility over concerns that practicing in 105 early in the season was draining players

im not going to claim they are leading the league in all things, or, that all is well with the football team

but im not buying the premise of the thread that says the organization is backward, lacks innovation, isn't willing to try new things, etc.

occams razor says they are 2-8 because they made a series of bad player decisions over the past three years and (likely) a bad HC decision this past offseason
Using all the latest technologies and applying those technologies to make smart football decisions aren't necessarily one & the same.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave