The Barkley Marathons: The Race That Eats Its Young

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

History
The Barkley course was designed by Gary "Lazarus Lake" Cantrell. His idea for the race was inspired upon hearing about the 1977 escape of James Earl Ray, the assassin of Martin Luther King Jr., from nearby Brushy Mountain State Penitentiary. Ray covered only 8 miles (13 km) after running 55 hours in the woods. Cantrell said to himself, "I could do at least 100 miles", mocking Ray's low mileage. Thus, the Barkley Marathons was born.[1] Cantrell named the race for his longtime neighbor and running companion, Barry Barkley.[2] It was first run in 1986.[3]

Registration

The Barkley is limited to 40 runners and usually fills up quickly the day registration opens. Requirements and times to submit an entry application are a closely guarded secret with no details advertised publicly. Potential entrants must complete an essay on "Why I Should be Allowed to Run in the Barkley", pay a $1.60 application fee, and complete other requirements subject to change. If accepted, an entrant receives a "letter of condolence". Upon arriving, new entrants (first time runners) are required to bring a license plate from their state/country as part of the entrance fee. Previous racers are required to mail in an additional "fee" which in the past has included things such as a white shirt, socks, or a flannel shirt, as a donation for being a non-finisher. Prior finishers of the marathon who return to run again must submit a pack of Camel cigarettes as part of the registration fee. Race bib number one is always given to the person deemed to be the least likely to finish one lap out of all who have applied; a "human sacrifice", as Cantrell calls it.[4]

This was a great show. I've done a couple of Ironmans, but they are nothing compared to this race. These guys are out there in the woods by themselves for 3 days with only a little help after each 12-hour lap climbing hills and battling the forest. Out of more than 1,000 starts only 15 people have finished, and I'm sure most of these folks are extremely good ultrarunners.