Miller once again does it again!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arizona has an hill to climb if it wants to sue. I can tell you that the athletic department has done more investigative work this week to see if there is any additional legal approaches it can take. Arizona is obviously being targeted here by ESPN staff

The mere fact that a lawsuit is seriously being discussed in this case shows how poorly ESPN mishandled this whole situation.

I still don't know what the outcome is going to be but I do agree the way ESPN is handling this is quite odd. They're either completely convinced they're right, or they're being vindictive.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
It also depends what ARizona would sue over. We've had this discussion over and over for months on BRO, every lawyer on that site says the same thing, if Arizona sues for defamation or libel they will lose because even if they can prove the story is false, they can't prove ESPN and Schlabach KNEW it was false. Both libel and defamation from what they're all saying requires the story is untrue, the story materially harmed the other party, and the the person writing the story knew it was untrue. In this case the story could be untrue, it clearly has harmed Arizona, but there's no evidence ESPN knows it's untrue.

And one guy the other day suggested just that, if I'm the legal counsel for ESPN or Schlabach the last thing I'm doing is admitting my story might be wrong if I'm not sure it is, as long as I am insisting the story is true, it makes it much harder for them to win a lawsuit against me.

ESPN will never admit they’re wrong about the Ayton report. They can always use the unplayed-tapes defense. I think that’s in part why the rolled the dice on it in the first place. I’m sure they knew going in not every conversation would be released.

If they keep Arizona’s name in the news the majority of people will assume they’re guilty. Hence mentioning the Nassir Little story in an article regarding ABOR. They keep piling and piling at every opportunity. Guys like Dick Vitale blatantly ignore Pitino/Self and continues to crushMiller/AZ every day.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The UofA and Sean Miller should also consider suing Greg Hanson and the Arizona Daily Star.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The UofA and Sean Miller should also consider suing Greg Hanson and the Arizona Daily Star.

They can sue anybody they want of course but if they want libel or defamation they have to prove it was not true and that Hansen knew it was not true when he printed it. Just not going to happen.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
He just edited it to remove Trier's name from the article.

Still, Forde was completely irresponsible with this article. Too many generalities in the article to describe what was going on in any details.

That’s insane. Yahoo now too?

RIP journalism

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What does Jason mean regarding UCLA?
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What does Jason mean regarding UCLA?

The LA times says there's record of I think 8 calls between ex UCLA assistant David Grace, and Christian Dawkins. UCLA says they're aware of it and have no indication the calls violated any rules, like with Miller the talking to Dawkins is not a violation it's what they were presumably talking about that would have been. They don't give specifics but it's likely during the time UCLA was recruiting Bowen.

I would add UCLA fired Grace but it's not clear to me they fired him because of this, since Alford has repeatedly said publicly they have found no evidence of any violations, it still appears they fired him because he was just a recruiter not a very good assistant.

Most people who've seen UCLA's practices this year insist Bartow is making a significant impact coaching the defense.

Nevertheless I'm glad they fired Grace, if he were still an assistant I'd be wanting him fired for this anyways, I just don't buy that there's an innocent reason for him to call Dawkins 8 times.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

NCAA: We’ll vacate last year’s P12 championship if you promise nothing else later. Deal?

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Not much more that ESPN can do to destroy our basketball program. They have pulled out all of the stops.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Figured it was just financial aid signing so he could get out of it but apparently it’s his LOI. That’s surprising.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Figured it was just financial aid signing so he could get out of it but apparently it’s his LOI. That’s surprising.

Why would he want out? If you mean what if the NCAA hits Zona, they'd let him out of the NLI for sure and then he'd just do a grant in aid somewhere else. I am always surprised elite kids still sign NLI's but in this case if the concern is the NCAA, there's no way Arizona, USC etc wouldn't let a kid out if they somehow get on probation.

And at the rate things are going it's pretty unlikely that's even a concern.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Why would he want out? If you mean what if the NCAA hits Zona, they'd let him out of the NLI for sure and then he'd just do a grant in aid somewhere else. I am always surprised elite kids still sign NLI's but in this case if the concern is the NCAA, there's no way Arizona, USC etc wouldn't let a kid out if they somehow get on probation.

And at the rate things are going it's pretty unlikely that's even a concern.

I think Williams did it last year but it didn’t end up mattering. It’s probably just less effort to get your release.

It’s still early but Williams and Akinjo both look significantly better than Quinerly who is barely playing. I got a little nervous when I saw his minutes.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I think Williams did it last year but it didn’t end up mattering. It’s probably just less effort to get your release.

It’s still early but Williams and Akinjo both look significantly better than Quinerly who is barely playing. I got a little nervous when I saw his minutes.
I’m just happy Quinerly is playing. I don’t care that he sucks. His playing creates considerable doubt that Book ever paid him.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I can’t believe that he was cleared. After all that fuss
Kids are gonna get cleared, they are too important to college basketball's bottom line ($). The only reason UA is taking all the negative press is because Book took money and now everyone is looking into program with a fine tune comb.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Kids are gonna get cleared, they are too important to college basketball's bottom line ($). The only reason UA is taking all the negative press is because Book took money and now everyone is looking into program with a fine tune comb.

More and more details coming out about Dawkins...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yes! As you could see from the last two games, we are in desperate need for front court help. HUGE pick-up. This year will be difficult to endure, but next year...look out!

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
For once, the FBI investigation helped us. He was strongly considering KU, but the stuff about Bill Self swayed him away

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose