The 2019 Draft

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Depending on where PHX lands in lottery, I am on the Bol Bol bandwagon. Granted ORE has played a couple of cupcakes, he is averaging 17/12/3.5, his perimeter game is contributing to his 46% shooting percentage but its something he can improve. I would much rather have him than Bender or Anderson.
I can't believe anyone named Bol is hitting threes like this kid does! Put him at Center and move Ayton to PF. 7'2" Center and 7' PF. LMAO!

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Some more from the same game:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some more from the same game:

First one is a walk but man that 2nd one is freaky good.

I had no idea he'd be this good. I don't care if Duke outbid Adidas or not I hope he gets to play the whole season I want to see what sort of final stats he ends up with.

I thought Reddish was the best pro prospect of the 3 because Zion was an undersized 4 and Barrett has a funky shot. Barrett is only 6-20 from 3 so far but has 76 points in 3 games, Zion is a stunning 32-39 from the floor so far! I get it is weak opposition but the kid is shooting 82 percent through 3 games. 11-13, 11-14, 10-12.

I guess Reddish got banged up tonight he only played 12 minutes and had 3 after 47 in his first 2 but he's taking a ton of 3's and shooting 11-25 but so far it looks like his 3 range is more college than NBA.

if Coach K manages to not make the Final 4 with this club without injuries he should retire immediately after the game.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
First one is a walk but man that 2nd one is freaky good.

I had no idea he'd be this good. I don't care if Duke outbid Adidas or not I hope he gets to play the whole season I want to see what sort of final stats he ends up with.

I thought Reddish was the best pro prospect of the 3 because Zion was an undersized 4 and Barrett has a funky shot. Barrett is only 6-20 from 3 so far but has 76 points in 3 games, Zion is a stunning 32-39 from the floor so far! I get it is weak opposition but the kid is shooting 82 percent through 3 games. 11-13, 11-14, 10-12.

I guess Reddish got banged up tonight he only played 12 minutes and had 3 after 47 in his first 2 but he's taking a ton of 3's and shooting 11-25 but so far it looks like his 3 range is more college than NBA.

if Coach K manages to not make the Final 4 with this club without injuries he should retire immediately after the game.

If there is one thing Zion needs to improve on before the draft, its his outside shot. He has decent form but he is shooting 33% from 3pt and 61% from FT. If he can extend his shooting range beyond the paint then he will be unstoppable.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Williamson is a physical anomaly but let’s not start talking LeBron. He has only played a few college games.

Jumping high does not necessarily mean a great pro career.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Williamson is a physical anomaly but let’s not start talking LeBron. He has only played a few college games.

He’s certainly not lebron. Lebron was so skilled in addition to being a physical specimen and had an incredible b-ball IQ.

I think the better comp is Larry Johnson. But he might be more physically imposing them grandmama.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He’s certainly not lebron. Lebron was so skilled in addition to being a physical specimen and had an incredible b-ball IQ.

I think the better comp is Larry Johnson. But he might be more physically imposing them grandmama.
More physically imposing than Johnson, not as skilled as LeBron or Barkley.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Killer first step, good handles, great leaper, excellent rebound and block instincts.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I worry a little about Zion because some of the things being said about him are close to the hype Anthony Bennett had. I don't think Zion will be a bust but I wouldn't say he's the surefire #1 pick, even if he does continue playing well for Duke.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I worry a little about Zion because some of the things being said about him are close to the hype Anthony Bennett had. I don't think Zion will be a bust but I wouldn't say he's the surefire #1 pick, even if he does continue playing well for Duke.

I don't remember anything of the sort. Bennett had some support but also a lot of informed detractors. To the best of my knowledge he was never viewed like Zion is. Zion has been under the spotlight for several years, dominating in a way that few ever have.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If you think he’s Anthony Bennett you have never seen both of them play. There’s little comparison.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More physically imposing than Johnson, not as skilled as LeBron or Barkley.

i wonder if Grandmama's later years are clouding your memory a little here. Pre-injuries, especially in college and his first couple years in the league the guy was a FREAKING BEAST. First two years in the league he was averaging 21/11/4 and then messed his back up. Was never the same after that.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't remember anything of the sort. Bennett had some support but also a lot of informed detractors. To the best of my knowledge he was never viewed like Zion is. Zion has been under the spotlight for several years, dominating in a way that few ever have.

If you think he’s Anthony Bennett you have never seen both of them play. There’s little comparison.

Bennett was compared to Larry Johnson, although he went to UNLV so that probably played a role in that. He was undersized for a PF, like Zion, but made up for it with bulk and skill. The hype wasn't near the same volume or as long lasting but there were similarities in who they were compared to and projected to be at the next level. Bennett was really athletic and strong forward whose strength and physical tools would help him be a PF instead of a tweener. I didn't see much of him at all outside of hype videos from that draft but hearing similar things about Zion cause me to pause. Zion being at Duke is encouraging. I know Duke can produce busts like anyone else but if he's playing well there then I think there is less of a chance of him being a bust in the NBA.

It's not really the play because I haven't seen enough of either to compare them and Zion's highlights are like watching Vince Carter for the first time, he's doing things that people shouldn't be capable of doing. He's an athletic enigma since he is so large but his bulk doesn't seem to hurt his game much. I'll need to catch a Duke game to see how his stamina is because if there isn't an issue there that just seems strange since players that big aren't supposed to be able to move like that or do so for long stretches. I hope he isn't a bust but the Larry Johnson comparisons and some of the hype about him definitely being a PF at the next stage is not that different than what scouts and analysts said about Bennett.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Bennett was compared to Larry Johnson, although he went to UNLV so that probably played a role in that. He was undersized for a PF, like Zion, but made up for it with bulk and skill. The hype wasn't near the same volume or as long lasting but there were similarities in who they were compared to and projected to be at the next level. Bennett was really athletic and strong forward whose strength and physical tools would help him be a PF instead of a tweener. I didn't see much of him at all outside of hype videos from that draft but hearing similar things about Zion cause me to pause. Zion being at Duke is encouraging. I know Duke can produce busts like anyone else but if he's playing well there then I think there is less of a chance of him being a bust in the NBA.

It's not really the play because I haven't seen enough of either to compare them and Zion's highlights are like watching Vince Carter for the first time, he's doing things that people shouldn't be capable of doing. He's an athletic enigma since he is so large but his bulk doesn't seem to hurt his game much. I'll need to catch a Duke game to see how his stamina is because if there isn't an issue there that just seems strange since players that big aren't supposed to be able to move like that or do so for long stretches. I hope he isn't a bust but the Larry Johnson comparisons and some of the hype about him definitely being a PF at the next stage is not that different than what scouts and analysts said about Bennett.

Bennett and Williamson aren't in the same stratosphere. I think your comparisons are a bit lazy. I mean no offense, but the two just aren't on the same tiers athletical. Similar kind of builds but Williamson is bigger, faster, jumps higher, and has been historically efficient so far.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bennett and Williamson aren't in the same stratosphere. I think your comparisons are a bit lazy. I mean no offense, but the two just aren't on the same tiers athletical. Similar kind of builds but Williamson is bigger, faster, jumps higher, and has been historically efficient so far.

I'm trying not to compare them, what I'm saying is they're drawing similar comparisons and hype. Look up what was said about Bennett pre-draft and look up what's being said about Zion now, it's very similar....

Here's some talk about Bennett...

What grabs your attention about Bennett is his focus and intensity ... Imposing physical specimen. Huge hands, wide shoulders and an enormous wingspan gives him great ability to dunk the ball with power ... He's very athletic, long, quick & fast. With a 7'1 wingspan & impressive inch vertical he poses nightmare problems in terms of mismatches ... Able to overpower smaller defenders & bigger defenders get "outquicked" and often dunked on ... Bennett is best at the power game in the paint, where at least 70 % of his scoring total comes from

Tell me the same thing isn't being said about Zion? You can replace Bennett's name in that with Zion and it would read like a scouting report someone just put out. There's more at the link, that's just a little bit of it but Zion's scouting report reads very similar to that.

I said that I was worried about Zion to a certain degree because it seems like most of the hype around sounds similar to what was said about Bennett. I think Zion will be better and he's farther along now than Bennett was at the same stage but hearing the same thing is a little concerning. That would like if the hype for Ayton sounded like what was said about Len.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
opinions on players can change over the course of a season. Every year we have the next LeBron. It was Wiggins a few years ago. Pardon me if I wait a few games to jump on the bandwagon.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There are some guys with freakish wingspans that really make an impact with their length... Williamson's wing span is 'only' 6'10" but that dude is like a condor. He reaches stuff he has no business getting to.