2018-19 Season | Point Guard Discussion

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can't wait to see 3rd year Ayton and Bridges!

I can't wait either but if Jackson is any indication I hope they don't struggle to start their sophomore seasons because everyone will give up on then.

I think Bridges will improve quicker than the others but that's only because he's a bit older. He'll be a valuable role player within the next year or so, if he's not already.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Must have missed it.

After Nash we kept trying to win without going through a full rebuild but the Dragic fiasco amongst other problems led to the decision to start over by tanking.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Krangthebrain said:
TJ Warren = Ced Ceballos.

Liquid scoring.

So. Why isn't TJ meeting our need at pf?

Because he a Wing, not a Power Forward, even though the Suns are desperate for a Power Forward. A scorer to get some attention away from Booker.

Unless and until someone else becomes the second leading scorer on the team (not including Ayton), Booker needs Warren on the court with him.

Even more when Book is playing Point Guard and TJ is the only dependable scorer.[/QUOTE]

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
How important is a PG in the NBA? SAC and us were in the same boat last offseason and now they are one of the up and coming teams in the west. Granted not all of SAC's success is based off of Fox's strong year so far (5 other players on the team are averaging in double figures in points) but he is the cog that makes that team run IMO. Hindsight being 20/20 maybe he was the pick PHO should have made last year as they would probably still have Bridges.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Bledsoe and Dragic wouldn't it be nice to have just one of them? I can't believe we payed millions to hire people to come in and destroy our team

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How important is a PG in the NBA? SAC and us were in the same boat last offseason and now they are one of the up and coming teams in the west. Granted not all of SAC's success is based off of Fox's strong year so far (5 other players on the team are averaging in double figures in points) but he is the cog that makes that team run IMO. Hindsight being 20/20 maybe he was the pick PHO should have made last year as they would probably still have Bridges.

it's total hindsight, but yeah... a nucleus built around a young, athletic foursome like Fox, Booker, Bridges and Ayton. You'd have two very good defenders at PG/SF, shooting with Booker/Bridges a floor leader and a big man with all the talent in the world who's just gonna get better.

Man... missing out on the 2016 draft sucked, especially because we had two lotto picks. But that draft wasn't a bonanza. If Josh Jackson doesn't pan out, missing out on the talent in the 2017 draft is going to haunt this team for a really long time.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
it's total hindsight, but yeah... a nucleus built around a young, athletic foursome like Fox, Booker, Bridges and Ayton. You'd have two very good defenders at PG/SF, shooting with Booker/Bridges a floor leader and a big man with all the talent in the world who's just gonna get better.

Man... missing out on the 2016 draft sucked, especially because we had two lotto picks. But that draft wasn't a bonanza. If Josh Jackson doesn't pan out, missing out on the talent in the 2017 draft is going to haunt this team for a really long time.

Josh Jackson will be just fine...IF we get an NBA level point guard so he doesn't feel so inclined to force the issue on offense, and IF we get a decent head coach who can teach him how to defend in the NBA with discipline.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I’m against drafting any more players that can’t shoot. The belief that they’ll learn to shoot after they get to the NBA is stupid. Sure a few players have accomplished this but way more often than not bad college shooters become bad NBA shooters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m against drafting any more players that can’t shoot. The belief that they’ll learn to shoot after they get to the NBA is stupid. Sure a few players have accomplished this but way more often than not bad college shooters become bad NBA shooters.

Yeah, I have sworn off players with injury history and those that can't shoot. Neither means they can't have great careers, but the odds are already against them so why pick someone with an extra black mark.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Yeah, I have sworn off players with injury history and those that can't shoot. Neither means they can't have great careers, but the odds are already against them so why pick someone with an extra black mark.
Really all you have to do is compare Bridges and Jackson.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really all you have to do is compare Bridges and Jackson.

Yeah, Jackson still has the higher ceiling probably but without the ability to shoot, he's destined to remain closer to his floor. For our sakes, I hope he beats the trend and learns how to shoot well.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Yeah, Jackson still has the higher ceiling probably but without the ability to shoot, he's destined to remain closer to his floor. For our sakes, I hope he beats the trend and learns how to shoot well.

Yep, wings that can’t shoot are useless. It’s hard to contribute from any position in today’s NBA if you can’t shoot but wings have to shoot.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
TJ McConnell was a DNP-CD yesterday for Philly in Butler’s first game. Just saying....

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Did anyone else see Fultz' new FT routine? I feel bad for the kid. I hope he gets it together but the longer this goes on the less chance I think that happens.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good news is that the Sixers beat the Jazz and in the process Mitchell took 35 shots without registering an assist. The Jazz have been struggling and it seems like there fans think Rubio needs to go to bring in another scorer. The reason they think Rubio needs to go is because Mitchell needs the ball in his hands more. Outside of Mitchell they don't have a consistent scoring threat except for Joe Ingles, who is a role player at best. I'm starting to hope that the Suns can swing a deal for Rubio. I don't know if I would do TJ for Rubio still, I'd consider it but probably want a pick of right to swap picks for a couple seasons. If they can hold off and struggle enough until we're able to trade Ariza that might be a possibility.

Here's the boxscore for the Jazz/Sixers game. Mitchell's 35 FG's without an assist is the most since 2014 when Melo took 35 also, but he scored 62 points. Mitchell only scored 31. That's not even a point per shot attempt.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba/utah-jazz-philadelphia-76ers-2018111620/

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did anyone else see Fultz' new FT routine? I feel bad for the kid. I hope he gets it together but the longer this goes on the less chance I think that happens.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
You must be registered for see images attach

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You pick those types of players in the late first round or second round, but not with lottery picks.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good news is that the Sixers beat the Jazz and in the process Mitchell took 35 shots without registering an assist. The Jazz have been struggling and it seems like there fans think Rubio needs to go to bring in another scorer. The reason they think Rubio needs to go is because Mitchell needs the ball in his hands more. Outside of Mitchell they don't have a consistent scoring threat except for Joe Ingles, who is a role player at best. I'm starting to hope that the Suns can swing a deal for Rubio. I don't know if I would do TJ for Rubio still, I'd consider it but probably want a pick of right to swap picks for a couple seasons. If they can hold off and struggle enough until we're able to trade Ariza that might be a possibility.

Here's the boxscore for the Jazz/Sixers game. Mitchell's 35 FG's without an assist is the most since 2014 when Melo took 35 also, but he scored 62 points. Mitchell only scored 31. That's not even a point per shot attempt.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba/utah-jazz-philadelphia-76ers-2018111620/
The problem is that last year was an anomoly year for Rubio. He has returned to his historic game. He is shooting .342 from the field and .274 from the three. It's a good thing Rubio has revealed that last year was all a sham before we traded for him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if I would do TJ for Rubio still, I'd consider it but probably want a pick of right to swap picks for a couple seasons.

I think you greatly overvalue Rubio. Even his best year wasn't much more than average and for most of his career, he's been the focal point of all blame from his local fans. I'd trade Bender and the Milwaukee pick for him and I'm not sure that's not an overpay. It's tough to match up in today's game when your point guard is such a non-threat and so far Rubio is shooting 27% from 3 and 39% from 2 (32% and 41% for his career).

Last edited:

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
To be fair though, the biggest knock on De'Aaron Fox was he couldn't shoot either but this year he's shooting 50% & 41% from the field and 3 pt line, he is shooting less that 70% from FT but he looks to have improved his shooting since coming into the league so there is at least hope for Jackson.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be fair though, the biggest knock on De'Aaron Fox was he couldn't shoot either but this year he's shooting 50% & 41% from the field and 3 pt line, he is shooting less that 70% from FT but he looks to have improved his shooting since coming into the league so there is at least hope for Jackson.

Quite true and I had concerns about him because of it but as I recall, his shot trended upward the second half of his year in Kentucky. Anyway, there is always hope but let's face it, far more players disappoint. If they were unable to become decent shooters the first 20 years of their life, it's not likely to change IMO. I bought into the "teach them to shoot" idea for a little while when I read a Hinkie article about it but watching it play out in reality has been a completely different story IMO.