Mathis Gone

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Just as long as we're not stuck with Avila or Murphy as our primary catcher...

DutchmanAZ

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The Dbacks can suck it. No desire to go see or watch them any more. Golf is more exciting. No more public money for millionaire owners for stadiums. KMA -cheap bastads

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
Sounds like he would only settle for a 2 year deal... Dbacks were only offering one year. [emoji3525]

I'd imagine they were looking at Mathis as being a bridge next year and Varsho making his debut in 2020.

Just my guess. Would have been better served imo to have had Varsho spend one season under the tutelage of a guy like Mathis. Should have ponied up the money for a 2nd year.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd imagine they were looking at Mathis as being a bridge next year and Varsho making his debut in 2020.

Just my guess. Would have been better served imo to have had Varsho spend one season under the tutelage of a guy like Mathis. Should have ponied up the money for a 2nd year.

Good point and agreed

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I bet Damian Miller disagrees. :confused:
35 y/o, batted .200 = dead weight.
I think Brian meant as a pure Catcher and handler of the pitching staff, not as a hitter.

And with Greinke's designated Catcher now gone, it almost makes it a certainty that he will also be gone (which would be the best move for the D-backs rebuilding at this time).

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
I think Brian meant as a pure Catcher and handler of the pitching staff, not as a hitter.

And with Greinke's designated Catcher now gone, it almost makes it a certainty that he will also be gone (which would be the best move for the D-backs rebuilding at this time).

That's exactly what I meant. I'm a student of the art of catching. I often refer to them in casual conversation as "receivers". Jeff had the softest hands and just received so well. A master at framing. Framing is an art. The next best the D-Backs had was Blanco. Miggy had hands of stone. I just loved watching Mathis catch a game.