Offensive Line.....How does Keim repeatedly whiff

KYCardFan

Veteran
Reaction score
I see one marginal NFL OL and that's D.J. Humphries and one that might have a chance in Mason Cole (but the jury is still out on both)

The rest are just scrap heap, over the hill, out of shape or injured.

Andre Smith, Justin Pugh and Mike Iupati - They have nothing left
AQ Shipley-Smart and tough, just no talent, and that body is shameful

The rest of these clowns should never suit up again in a NFL uniform.

How does Keim repeatedly fail

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Because he is terrible GM, whos talent is vastly overrated.

Trades.

Late Rd Picks

And prove it deals, is who about what he can do

Jasper

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
In an interview when he was 1st hired as the GM, he talked about his career as an olineman. At the end he stated prefers athletic and physical specimens over someone like himself.
He thinks athletism > work ethic/determination.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Take it from a reliable source, Keim is gone after the season is over.

That's doubtful. Bidwill just gave him an extension. No way they are going to eat that money. Keim is still a slightly above average GM. The odds of getting a better one are slim. We would end up with another Graves or the Steve Wilks of GM's.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That's doubtful. Bidwill just gave him an extension. No way they are going to eat that money. Keim is still a slightly above average GM. The odds of getting a better one are slim. We would end up with another Graves or the Steve Wilks of GM's.
Ehh that DUI sullied him

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Justin Pugh in a vacuum is not a terrible OG. Justin Pugh along side of Mike Iupati, Andre Smith, a rookie C, and DJ Humphries injury history is a recipe for disaster. He just can't be the best offensive linemen on a decent offensive line.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drafting O lineman is becoming increasingly more difficult since the college game has changed dramatically. I would suggest that the days of 1st round O line draft picks could come to an end. Yes they are valuable needs but the supply is spiraling down.

Keim doesn't get it and either he or his scouts are not finding much. Even a blind pig finds an occasional acorn.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It might all come down to the following decision:

Keep 8 super-talented OLs on the roster...vs. keeping 11 or 12 so-so linemen with 6 or 7 as injury-insurance.

Also - there's something to be said for remaining competitive and treating even marginal players well, so that free agents will be more willing to come to AZ.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Justin Pugh in a vacuum is not a terrible OG. Justin Pugh along side of Mike Iupati, Andre Smith, a rookie C, and DJ Humphries injury history is a recipe for disaster. He just can't be the best offensive linemen on a decent offensive line.

I think DJ, Cole, and Pugh are NFL caliber starters if healthy. Well at least Cole has a chance to be.

Wetzel is a solid swing tackle backup, so at least you have that position down.

But the rest is a hot mess. I think the Cardinals need to consider using 2 higher picks on OL, with possibly Jonah Williams as the 1st round target.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Take it from a reliable source, Keim is gone after the season is over.

I'm moving more towards thinking this might be the time to move on. After back-to-back non-winning seasons, this year should be the wake up call that Keim is part of the issue.

It's starting to look like Arians was the one making chicken poo into chicken salad.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I wonder how much input do the coaches have in the actual choosing to go after specific players or positions? I would think it's a collaboration?

I would not think the GM just decides to pick a player without input from the coaches and owner?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It might all come down to the following decision:

Keep 8 super-talented OLs on the roster...vs. keeping 11 or 12 so-so linemen with 6 or 7 as injury-insurance.

Also - there's something to be said for remaining competitive and treating even marginal players well, so that free agents will be more willing to come to AZ.

Is there such thing as 8 "super talented OL" in the league let alone on one team?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Is there such thing as 8 "super talented OL" in the league let alone on one team?

If you look at the more talented offensive lines, often you find TWO super talented OL at most and the rest are serviceable to good. Super talented offensive lineman usually make players around them a lot better. Look at the Seahawks OL during the Holmgren years...those lines were good because you had Walter Jones and Hutchinson, and the rest were serviceable to good players.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Drafting O lineman is becoming increasingly more difficult since the college game has changed dramatically. I would suggest that the days of 1st round O line draft picks could come to an end. Yes they are valuable needs but the supply is spiraling down.

Keim doesn't get it and either he or his scouts are not finding much. Even a blind pig finds an occasional acorn.

This.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score

I kind of agree with this, if MB wanted to get rid of him he could have probably done it "with cause" after the DUI and not had to pay him another dime. So unless he has had a "slip up" and they can get away from him without paying him, I don't see it.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I agree with you that in general it’s very risky to select offensive linemen in the first round, but it’s a different matter in the top ten. In 2015 and 2016 (I agree that it is a new trend, and the jury is still out on 2017) four offensive linemen has been drafted in the top ten, and three of them are playing really well (Brandon Scherff, Jack Conklin, Ronnie Stanley) while one (Ereck Flowers) has indeed been a major bust. I think the point is that the best offensive linemen in college are in fact capable of making the transition from college to the NFL.

By the way, I think the initial post is a huge exaggeration, probably after the meltdown against the Chiefs. Andre Smith and Justin Pugh has both been above average free agent acquisitions, and I think both Humphries and Cole shows promise.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I agree with you that in general it’s very risky to select offensive linemen in the first round, but it’s a different matter in the top ten. In 2015 and 2016 (I agree that it is a new trend, and the jury is still out on 2017) four offensive linemen has been drafted in the top ten, and three of them are playing really well (Brandon Scherff, Jack Conklin, Ronnie Stanley) while one (Ereck Flowers) has indeed been a major bust. I think the point is that the best offensive linemen in college are in fact capable of making the transition from college to the NFL.

By the way, I think the initial post is a huge exaggeration, probably after the meltdown against the Chiefs. Andre Smith and Justin Pugh has both been above average free agent acquisitions, and I think both Humphries and Cole shows promise.

How in the WORLD have these two putzes been above average free agent acquisitions? Or even average?

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
How in the WORLD have these two putzes been above average free agent acquisitions? Or even average?

Well, first of all because of the eye test. I simply think they are decent players. Next, (and I’m not high on stats for offensive linemen) Football Outsiders rank them slightly below average in both run blocking and pass blocking. I would say that is a fair assessment, and that it translates to fairly good acquisitions. I don’t expect much more with the ever changing constellations at the offensive line as well as what I have thought about those two players the last couple of years. In the offseason I thought at least Pugh was a good pickup, and that hasn’t changed.

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Exactly why I think we should get proven FAs.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly why I think we should get proven FAs.

Nate Solder

Andrew Norwell

Justin Pugh

Zach Fulton.

Josh Sitton

Those were the top "proven" FA OL on the market last year. They all signed large contracts. So far all of them have severely underperformed to date and haven't come close to living up to the contracts they signed.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose