The 2018-2019 Around the NBA thread

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Saw this play by Tyson, has he ever moved like this in his last 3 years in a Suns uniform? He looked like he was 1 decent fall away from retiring here but in LA he's going all out and diving for the ball in the middle of the 3rd quarter when they have a 12 point lead already?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw this play by Tyson, has he ever moved like this in his last 3 years in a Suns uniform? He looked like he was 1 decent fall away from retiring here but in LA he's going all out and diving for the ball in the middle of the 3rd quarter when they have a 12 point lead already?

It does bother me to see former Suns put out the effort for other teams.

The question has to be asked. Does playing for the Suns have a lot to do with it?

I think the answer is yes (rightly or wrongly). If the Suns are to succeed, they need to fix this.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kobe Bryant.

I guess that depends on who you were listening to. IMO He was never in Jordan's class as some suggested but he was top 3 for much of his career. He was never as clutch as he was made out to be either but he could get a shot off against almost any defense.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The question has to be asked. Does playing for the Suns have a lot to do with it?

I think the answer is yes (rightly or wrongly). If the Suns are to succeed, they need to fix this.

I think there are different levels of giving it your all. When you're on a dead end team and wins don't even appear to be the goal, I'd imagine it would be very difficult to play your absolute best. And when you're a big guy and you know your knees only have a few more miles on them, it would tempt many of us to wait it out until the time was right to really push yourself.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so happy we paid him a contract well over what he was worth back in the day, watched him dog it for the last couple years and then do him and the Lakers a favor so he could actually go from walking corpse on the Suns to a defensive dynamo for the Lakers all of a sudden.

I hope he keeps it up. In the end I really doubt he'll be much of a difference maker for them but every time he makes a good play he removes a little bit of the tarnish on Ariza's reputation. Maybe it will be enough for us to move him at the deadline for someone that might actually help us down the road.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

That is exactly what I thought.

Whether it is a meddling owner and his continued GM turnover and Head Coach turnover, management proclamations that don't get followed up on, 20+ point blowouts, overloaded positions and understaffed positions at the same time, a roster too young and too old at the same time, not being a playoff team for almost a decade or that the players read the same things online that we do . . .

My goodness, who wouldn't be frustrated? And when you get frustrated, it is impossible to out-do the opposition . . . even if you want to, because players around you aren't. Or can't.

In psychology, it is called the Tragedy of the Commons. Bad or lackadaisical behavior within a group spreads much quicker than good behavior. Even to those who know better.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there are different levels of giving it your all. When you're on a dead end team and wins don't even appear to be the goal, I'd imagine it would be very difficult to play your absolute best. And when you're a big guy and you know your knees only have a few more miles on them, it would tempt many of us to wait it out until the time was right to really push yourself.

Maybe it sounds old fashion but I believe when a player is paid the money they should always give their best.

I don't believe in saving it for another team.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Maybe it sounds old fashion but I believe when a player is paid the money they should always give their best.

Was Tyson Chandler saving it? I say 'no'. He is a quality individual, stuck in a very losing situation and has been given one more chance in the twilight of his career to "do good".

The Suns problems are way too specific to be categorized by generalizations. Your best with a frown is never as good as you best with a smile. The ol' 110% mentality.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's not really the way the world works though. We see it every day in every walk of life. And I'm very old fashioned but I've seen this same thing while working at a Mexican Restaurant in Scottsdale in the 60's and then in the US Army in the the 70's and in every job I've ever had since.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was Tyson Chandler saving it? I say 'no'. He is a quality individual, stuck in a very losing situation and has been given one more chance in the twilight of his career to "do good".

The Suns problems are way too specific to be categorized by generalizations. Your best with a frown is never as good as you best with a smile. The ol' 110% mentality.

I agree mostly with this but I watched Tyson avoid jumping almost daily. And it happened almost over night. He obviously didn't lose the ability to jump, he just stopped doing it. And why not? Why wear out your knees for a team that isn't prepared to benefit from that effort?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Yeah, no. I don’t ever recall that level of effort. That’s a damn indictment on both chandler and the suns organization.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
When you're playing for the King, you've got to perform.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I agree mostly with this but I watched Tyson avoid jumping almost daily. And it happened almost over night. He obviously didn't lose the ability to jump, he just stopped doing it. And why not? Why wear out your knees for a team that isn't prepared to benefit from that effort?
Because you’re literally being paid millions to do it. And part of your responsibility on a young team as a veteran is to lead by example. Don’t freaking condone his lame-ass play here like it was okay. I can’t stand when fans accept less. I’m sorry Steve but you’re just letting them off the hook for substandard effort. If you legitimately can’t play because of physical infirmities, okay. If you suck because of lack of talent, okay. But lack of effort?!? Sorry doesn’t fly with me.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not really the way the world works though. We see it every day in every walk of life. And I'm very old fashioned but I've seen this same thing while working at a Mexican Restaurant in Scottsdale in the 60's and then in the US Army in the the 70's and in every job I've ever had since.

This may be true but I can't relate to players that don't give 100%.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because you’re literally being paid millions to do it. And part of your responsibility on a going team as a veteran is to lead by example. Don’t freaking condone his lame-ass play here like it was okay. I can’t stand when fans accept less. I’m sorry Steve but you’re just letting them off the hook for substandard effort. If you legitimately can’t play because of physical infirmities, okay. If you suck because of lack of talent, okay. But lack of effort?!? Sorry doesn’t fly with me.

I don't like it, I understand it. It's not my health or my wallet that he's protecting, it's his own. And when your team benches you not because you can't play but because they are afraid you'll add wins, what message does that send to a man nearing and fighting for his last contract. We did what was best for us, it's tough to fault Tyson for doing the same IMO.

Bledsoe was in a similar situation and he screwed us over as payback for sitting him. Tyson took it like a man, backed the company line and collected his retirement checks. I'm glad he's gone, he gave us almost nothing during his stay in Phoenix, but part of the reason he gave us so little is on us.

Takeo

Reaction score
Who can blame Chandler for being energized? He went from wasting the twilight of his career aimlessly to playing with James in LA. It won’t last, but the guy should feel like a rookie right now!

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Except maybe on a team that is dysfunctional from top to bottom.

Game after game It eats away at you, just as it does with us.
Then he should have just retired if he can't put in the effort for the job he's paid to do.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Except maybe on a team that is dysfunctional from top to bottom.

Game after game It eats away at you, just as it does with us.

He's part of that dysfunction though. By only giving 50%, or so, he's contributing to that losing culture and if he's doing it as a veteran leader why shouldn't our young players follow his lead? That's what he was here for, to be a leader and set an example for our young players but he didn't do that. He played with minimal effort, declined the opportunity to be moved before we decided to tank and sit him, and then this year when he's supposed to give back some and mentor the #1 overall pick he complains about being here? That's horse..... He was fine while he was getting the majority of minutes at center but the second he's moved to the bench is when he wants out? Quite the coincidence.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who can blame Chandler for being energized? He went from wasting the twilight of his career aimlessly to playing with James in LA. It won’t last, but the guy should feel like a rookie right now!

If he was "wasting" the twilight of his career he had no one to blame but himself. I guess he could fault his agent some also. He signed a 4 year deal at 32-33 years old to join a team that sucked. He was supposed to be part of turning things around but it didn't happen and his play is partly responsible for that. If he didn't want to play for a team like the Suns and see the playoffs as a spectator then he should have worked in a player option or not signed a 4 year deal.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He's part of that dysfunction though. By only giving 50%, or so, he's contributing to that losing culture and if he's doing it as a veteran leader why shouldn't our young players follow his lead? That's what he was here for, to be a leader and set an example for our young players but he didn't do that. He played with minimal effort, declined the opportunity to be moved before we decided to tank and sit him, and then this year when he's supposed to give back some and mentor the #1 overall pick he complains about being here? That's horse..... He was fine while he was getting the majority of minutes at center but the second he's moved to the bench is when he wants out? Quite the coincidence.
Amen!

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Anyone else think this is a terrible idea? Some (most?) of these people will no doubt try to sneak past security and park it in an empty seat/try to argue with the ticketholder if they return to their seat.

Warriors offer $100 monthly passes with no view https://es.pn/2QyR5EY
via @ESPN App http://es.pn/app

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson