John Brown - more bad stuff

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Personally, I find it weird that John Brown couldn't find his way out of the trainers room for two years and now that he is in Baltimore, he is having no issues. Very strange.

Jurecki has implied, but not directly said it, that the coaching staff believed that Brown wasn't being tough enough to fight through minor stuff --- a couple times Brown went from full practice during the week to "out" by Friday

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Kind of threw BA under the bus in this article. Says BA was real old school and over worked him.

"On top of that, he would run deep post after deep post after deep post. Finally one would go to him, and he's not feeling right, so he drops it. Then he gets ripped up and down by the coach. He was easy for the coaches to pick on, the punching bag. It was a lot."

Smoke's body was in a good place when camp began in 2017. But his mind was not. "By that time, my mind was out of Arizona," he says. "I didn't want to be there no more. I wasn't happy. I knew I needed a fresh start. I wanted to find a new home.

"Coach Arians is real old school. He wanted his guys to be tough and hardcore. I'm like, 'Hey, Coach, my body's different from others.' I couldn't handle it."

He also believed the Arizona heat was doing him no favors. But team trainers had a plan to keep him fresh. "It was supposed to be: If he runs one deep ball, take him out," Smoke says. "Next week, he can run two. Then take him out. They followed that the first two days of camp. Then I ran three deep balls in a row and tore my quad. At that point, I was fed up."

And he's playing fast. "This is the fastest I've moved in my career," he says. "I feel fresh. In Arizona, I don't feel like I was able to hit top speed because I was being overworked in practice."

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Not recognizing whether a guy needs encouragement or a boot up the ass is poor leadership.

Yeah I fall between both extremes. This is football. No place for coddling. But by the same token a good leader figures out the best way to get the best outta each person and itsbtyoically different for each. I still think smoke is a puss, but he’s definitely being used more appropriately at present.

Really he should just talk about the here and now instead of stabbing people from the past. Particularly those that have him his shot.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Yeah I fall between both extremes. This is football. No place for coddling. But by the same token a good leader figures out the best way to get the best outta each person and itsbtyoically different for each. I still think smoke is a puss, but he’s definitely being used more appropriately at present.

Really he should just talk about the here and now instead of stabbing people from the past. Particularly those that have him his shot.
I fall on the encouragement side but IMO, good leaders(coaches, managers, etc.) have to figure out the individual. Coaches who are "my way or the highway" seem less likely to succeed long term.

A Parcells type who comes in and chews everyone a new a-hole is fine for turning things around but non-stop berating tends to eventually fall on deaf ears. I don't know what Brown's actual beef is regarding his time with the Cardinals but I'm willing to accept that he had one. Until we know what the particular problem was though, it's hard to say whether his criticism is warranted.

Some guys just don't mesh with some teams and this isn't the first time I've seen a player so happy to just be in a new place that he has to talk about it. Doesn't mean the team was as bad as the player remembers nor does it mean the player is incorrect about his perception.

For Brown, life as a Cardinal probably was more negative than anything else.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I fall on the encouragement side but IMO, good leaders(coaches, managers, etc.) have to figure out the individual. Coaches who are "my way or the highway" seem less likely to succeed long term.

A Parcells type who comes in and chews everyone a new a-hole is fine for turning things around but non-stop berating tends to eventually fall on deaf ears. I don't know what Brown's actual beef is regarding his time with the Cardinals but I'm willing to accept that he had one. Until we know what the particular problem was though, it's hard to say whether his criticism is warranted.

Some guys just don't mesh with some teams and this isn't the first time I've seen a player so happy to just be in a new place that he has to talk about it. Doesn't mean the team was as bad as the player remembers nor does it mean the player is incorrect about his perception.

For Brown, life as a Cardinal probably was more negative than anything else.

We will see what happens when adversity strikes. Its easy to talk about how much better things are during the honeymoon. Brown was quite happy here when things were going well, at least it seemed.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Smoke is killing it this season so he was interviewed and answered questions he was asked. He could have taken the high road but either couldn't or wouldn't.

I for one don't think the NFL has many babies who need to be coddled. I know there are many divas that need special coaching techniques.

BA inspired, created loyalty and improved 99% of his players. Unfortunately Smoke wasn't in that group.

Big D

...and STILL...
Reaction score
I don’t particularly give a damn what parting shots guys that leave here levy back at the organization though I totally agree perception can quickly and easily become an issue.

What I do care about is the reality of what the organization, specifically the GM, has done to replace the departing players and their production. Those are actual tangible results we all are privy to every Sunday.

Obviously Keim has failed miserably in developing and/or rebuilding our WR corps. They haven’t even been able to find someone to replace Jaron Brown let alone John Brown. It’s pathetic.

Sadly it’s been a recurring theme at other positions as well as you look around a league that is littered with former Cardinals that are playing well for contending teams while we continue to trot this drek out there every week.

I get it, you can’t keep/pay everybody, but where the hell is the talent waiting in the wings or being brought in? Though it’s clearly a rhetorical question at this point, where the hell are the results??

Perfectionist

Objectively Correct
Reaction score

Itsbtyoically, it took awhile but I finally got it. :doofus:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
The Cardinals drafted him and a lot of people where saying "who?" at the time. He got a shot which might have been an undrafted route where even if you are flawless you might not get a chance, but the Cardinals drafted him. He got to work with Fitzgerald, a giving future Hall of Famer. He had freaking Palmer treat him like his own kid and did cuddle his arse to a large extent, to the point of blatant favoritism in my opinion. Two guys right there which are part of the 'organization'... if he wants to be mad, even if I do not agree, do it like a man, do it like Boldin when he left, but smoked jellybean Brown is full of himself

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Cardinals drafted him and a lot of people where saying "who?" at the time. He got a shot which might have been an undrafted route where even if you are flawless you might not get a chance, but the Cardinals drafted him. He got to work with Fitzgerald, a giving future Hall of Famer. He had freaking Palmer treat him like his own kid and did cuddle his arse to a large extent, to the point of blatant favoritism in my opinion. Two guys right there which are part of the 'organization'... if he wants to be mad, even if I do not agree, do it like a man, do it like Boldin when he left, but smoked jellybean Brown is full of himself
John Brown is now in the elevator ... but we know all too well how this can go.

I never wish guys bad things, but I know for sure that bad times can always happen ... so I hope for him if that on the road from elevator to the dog house he has at least something going for him.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
He also put his body on the line everyday and suffered several concussions laying it out there for the club.

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
Huge cry baby. It begs the question if he would've said anything if we weren't 1 & 6 right now.
There are numerous logical fallacies in this simple sentence which I won't enumerate.

The vague concept of "motivation" takes many forms. Sometime it's encouragement, sometimes it's browbeating. The effective coach knows the difference. The dinosaur coach doesn't. Why do you think Buddy Ryan never got an NFL job after he sauntered into SDS and pronounced, "You've got a winner in town."

Yes, we did. They were the Phoenix Suns. :D

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
There are numerous logical fallacies in this simple sentence which I won't enumerate.

The vague concept of "motivation" takes many forms. Sometime it's encouragement, sometimes it's browbeating. The effective coach knows the difference. The dinosaur coach doesn't. Why do you think Buddy Ryan never got an NFL job after he sauntered into SDS and pronounced, "You've got a winner in town."

Yes, we did. They were the Phoenix Suns. :D
It's definitely a different age of football. Long gone are the days of players cow-towing to the hierarchy(coach/management). Managing egos is a big part of the job now and is part of the reason why a guy like Mike Singletary wasn't quite right for the HC position.

I'm guessing it's a very difficult task to establish an environment that commands respect from the players nowadays. McVay's story can not be overstated in that regard. And it leads me to think that putting players in a position to win while personally achieving success is the way to currently do things. These guys are well aware of FFL and their personal stats now and they are a consideration. "Just win baby" doesn't cut it anymore so I can see how player management is at an all time premium.

I can't say that I'd be able to do it even as an exercise. But belittling someone and questioning their toughness/dedication/desire doesn't seem like the way to go with today's NFL players.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You mean like the temperature in South Florida where he grew up and played his HS ball?
... Sure, and if you read the article, you'll see that he ran a 4.9 second 40 in high school, and his own high school coach told college recruiters that he was too slow. But then suddenly in spring in North Carolina, he ran a 4.3 40, though he "wasn't doing anything different."

...dbs

Last edited:
Reaction score
... Sure, and if you actually read the article, you'd see that he ran a 4.9 second 40 in high school, and his own high school coach told college recruiters that he was too slow. But then suddenly in spring in North Carolina, he ran a 4.3 40, though he "wasn't doing anything different."

...dbs

It was also stated by someone who read up on it that humidity or lack there of affected his ailment. So the dry arid climate of Phoenix was no bueno.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson