Why do the new star wars movies suck so bad?

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I just don't get it. I just started rewatching the first ones with my new gf who has never seen them (I know blasphemy) she has seen the two new ones though.. We just finished the Empire Strikes Back... Now I have to admit the old ones fighting scenes were pretty weak compared to the new ones. I wasn't impressed with either Lukes or Vader's fighting..they looked like amateur fighters frankly... the new ones look much better....why didn't they just give them a damn plot? It must be the worst scripts I have ever been witness to. It's worse that most bmovie horror flicks.

I play the KOTOR games and some of the action ones and they all have better plots than the new ones. They might as well have used them to write the scripts... I just hope the new one is better :( It looks awesome..but that's all it is right now, looks...

I kind of hope they go back and do some new ones in the Star Wars Universe..maybe with a different director or just have Lucas be assistant director and partially retired and they get some gifted writers! It seems like the writing for most movies suck these days...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the fights scenes were classic duels like in fencing, not the wire-flying nonsense.

And to me, the fight scenes in the first three weren't awesome because of the actual fighting - they were awesome because of WHAT WAS REVEALED in each one - each major light-sabre duel contained a story-shifting overhaul beat - Obi-one dies - setting up the Luke-Vader tryst in Empire - in Empire - it has one of the biggest twist/reveals in movie history and completely blew everyone away and in the last fight scene, it was all about redemption and revelation of another huge twist. The fight scenes in these movies are just meaningless action scenes that do nothing to further the plot - that's why IMO these movies suck - there's a ton of action scenes, but none of them seem to be free flowing with the plot(whatever lame as plot that is in each movie).

Oh well, that's my two cents. I mean seriously - did anyone care when Qui-gon whatever his name was died? Who the hell was he? And was there an emotional impact seeing Obi-won kill Darth Maul(probably the dumbest and least developed Star Wars villain of all time)? And the Yoda scene, while a visceral thrill in a stupifying kind of way was fun, it was ultimately meaningless and again, an excuse for a "cool" action set piece. Big deal - give me great drama over wire-fu action any day of the week.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
And was there an emotional impact seeing Obi-won kill Darth Maul(probably the dumbest and least developed Star Wars villain of all time)?

Uh oh..

*ducks and hides from wrath of BIM*

:D

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I like the new Star Wars movies.... but I feel the try to hard to put something revolutionary on the screen like they did in the 70's :shrug:

I think people just expected the "new" movies to be so spectacular that nothing Lucas could have done could have met those expectations.

Plus I also like the touched up Episode IV-VI :D

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, the prequels aren't as good because George is directing them but more importantly because he's writing them as well.

But it looks like he might be making up for it!

OP
OP
C

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
the fights scenes were classic duels like in fencing, not the wire-flying nonsense.

And to me, the fight scenes in the first three weren't awesome because of the actual fighting - they were awesome because of WHAT WAS REVEALED in each one - each major light-sabre duel contained a story-shifting overhaul beat - Obi-one dies - setting up the Luke-Vader tryst in Empire - in Empire - it has one of the biggest twist/reveals in movie history and completely blew everyone away and in the last fight scene, it was all about redemption and revelation of another huge twist. The fight scenes in these movies are just meaningless action scenes that do nothing to further the plot - that's why IMO these movies suck - there's a ton of action scenes, but none of them seem to be free flowing with the plot(whatever lame as plot that is in each movie).

Oh well, that's my two cents. I mean seriously - did anyone care when Qui-gon whatever his name was died? Who the hell was he? And was there an emotional impact seeing Obi-won kill Darth Maul(probably the dumbest and least developed Star Wars villain of all time)? And the Yoda scene, while a visceral thrill in a stupifying kind of way was fun, it was ultimately meaningless and again, an excuse for a "cool" action set piece. Big deal - give me great drama over wire-fu action any day of the week.

I totally agree with that but I wouldn't even call it classic duels like fencing...the fighting is pretty bad imo and makes me wonder if they got really good experts to help with the fighting... It didn't make me think that a good sword fighter couldn't beat Vader in a duel that's for sure....

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Star Wars was ahead of it's time. They were the ultimate FX group for their time. Now we want them to beat that years later with a story line never meant for screen time.

Of course you're going to be disappointed. These are story lines dismissed as worthless back in the 70's. Now you want these same stories and some added visual effects to make up for it?

The movie wasn't worth a crap back in the 70's. It won't find new life with better graphics in 2005.

There is a reason we started at episode 4. That's where the story became interesting. The rest was BS and will always be BS, no matter how much the FX improves.

OP
OP
C

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
AzCards21 said:
Star Wars was ahead of it's time. They were the ultimate FX group for their time. Now we want them to beat that years later with a story line never meant for screen time.

Of course you're going to be disappointed. These are story lines dismissed as worthless back in the 70's. Now you want these same stories and some added visual effects to make up for it?

The movie wasn't worth a crap back in the 70's. It won't find new life with better graphics in 2005.

There is a reason we started at episode 4. That's where the story became interesting. The rest was BS and will always be BS, no matter how much the FX improves.

Play the first KOTOR game.. I know it's just a game but I think the story line is quite good... I think they do have a world where a good story line can happen...

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We don't appear to have an official SW: TESB thread so this will have to do. I found this to be really great and shows the amount of detail and work that went into one of the best SW movies ever.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Personally, I think nostalgia plays a big part here.

Star Wars is male Twilight if you ask me.

Do not get me wrong, I like Star Wars, and have seen every movie, but outside of the barf-a-riffic love scenes in the prequels its the same space monk ninja story.

We loved those movies as kids. When you watch it, it brings back the good memories.

Now? Meh, its the same ol' thing, just without that same ol' feeling.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Personally, I think nostalgia plays a big part here.

Star Wars is male Twilight if you ask me.

Do not get me wrong, I like Star Wars, and have seen every movie, but outside of the barf-a-riffic love scenes in the prequels its the same space monk ninja story.

We loved those movies as kids. When you watch it, it brings back the good memories.

Now? Meh, its the same ol' thing, just without that same ol' feeling.

Your dead.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

wow...you were smart back then Cheesy!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA