Wireless streaming from PC to tv without Miracast?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a smart tv that has a Firestick but my pc was upgraded from Win 7 to 10 and it apparently does NOT support Miracast. I've looked and looked the problem is not software, it's hardware.

I can't find a miracast transmitter for PC, they make them for phones but I haven't seen one that claims to work for Win 10 that's verifiable. There's one on Amazon that seems to say it does, but it has no reviews and the description throws in Win 10 as an afterthought, it's clearly for phones and tablets.

I want to be able to bring up something on my PC and project it to the tv. I looked at HDMI transmitters but they're all expensive, 150 to 200 bucks which defeats the point of doing this cheaply.

Is there such a thing?

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't tried it myself, but apparently AirScreen should work. Are you sure Miracast won't work? I found this for Windows 10
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/set-up-use-miracast-windows-10

I googled Airscreen but it has pretty bad reviews and it's not clear to me it works with Win 10 devices.

The problem with Miracast is not the software but the hardware, when I try to use it I am told my computer hardware does not support it. Machines that come with win 10 have the right hardware, ones that were upgraded to 10, mine was from 7, don't have that hardware.

The screenbeam device that Billscarnage suggested above has really bad reviews on Amazon so I didn't buy it.

At this point I'm ok I've been able to watch Cards games using reddit streams and I'm not too concerned about not being able to show them on my tv. One thing I had forgotten it probably won't work anyways, the current setup if I use an HDMI cable to the tv it crashes the stream. I am not sure what they do but they do something that prevents you from projecting it via HDMI and I suspect they do the same thing using Miracast.

I am about to sign up for the sports package to get Pac 12 for college basketball season and I won't need this function for that either.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Russ Smith , does your computer have a VGA output? It may let you send the analog signal to your TV without crashing. If your TV doesn't have a VGA in, you can buy an adapter that converts to component. Just make sure you buy from someone with a good return policy like Amazon or something if it doesn't work.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Russ Smith , does your computer have a VGA output? It may let you send the analog signal to your TV without crashing. If your TV doesn't have a VGA in, you can buy an adapter that converts to component. Just make sure you buy from someone with a good return policy like Amazon or something if it doesn't work.

I think I have VGA on the laptop, not really sure on the desktop that's a good point though. the TV doesn't have VGA but I actually have somewhere an adapter for that.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I have VGA on the laptop, not really sure on the desktop that's a good point though. the TV doesn't have VGA but I actually have somewhere an adapter for that.

It's worth a try.