Suns sign Jamal Crawford to one-year deal

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Never been much of a Crawford fan, but if they feel they need a veteran they can trust to at least handle the ball, then fine. I'll take this over shipping off an asset for Patrick Beverly or having to go balls deep on a stop gap like Teague or Dragic.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I like the signing. I see a lot of vets in our young players, to learn from and they kind of play the same.
Ayton has Chandler
Bridges has Ariza
JJ has Crawford
Bender has Anderson
So you are saying Bender is screwed!

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Isn’t Crawford’s game a lot like Brandon Knight’s?

Yes, I'm not where SweetD pulled the JJ mashup.

I think Crawford is better with his shot selection than Knight, he doesn't crank up 20 foot 2 pointers and doesn't dribble the clock away as often, but he shoots and shoots and shoots... and doesn't really pass or defend. Not the guy I want our 6'8", uber athletic, potential monster defender and rim runner to learn from.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Yes, I'm not where SweetD pulled the JJ mashup.

I think Crawford is better with his shot selection than Knight, he doesn't crank up 20 foot 2 pointers and doesn't dribble the clock away as often, but he shoots and shoots and shoots... and doesn't really pass or defend. Not the guy I want our 6'8", uber athletic, potential monster defender and rim runner to learn from.
I'll give you no defense but he does pass the ball. At least he did in his highlight video.

Drop_D

Rookie
Reaction score
Crawford has obviously nothing to do with the Suns' gloring hole at PG.

My first thought was, “shouldn’t that be ‘holing,’ instead?” I was still trying to figure out the metaphor, when it dawned on me that it was a typo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I rarely say this, but Dudley seriously needs to ****.

I don't mind his tweets. He's more than likely playing his last season in the league and he's been pretty open on Twitter about wanting to land a coaching or front office position when he does retire. He's a smart player who seems to know his stuff. It didn't work out with his return here but he's still a decent end of the bench vet, provided his salary isn't what it currently is. I blame McD for that. I don't believe any contracts signed since McD has ran the team had player or team options. I know those can complicate the process but Dudley and especially Chandler should have had team options on their deals.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'll give you no defense but he does pass the ball. At least he did in his highlight video.

Come on... highlight videos are a joke.

Brandon Knight averages more assists per minute, significantly more.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the Houston trade had not been made, BK would be our starting pg right now, no?

I assume we would be more hopeful about the position. We would have Knight to start and the young guns to run off the bench if he started playing his hero ball.

I wonder if McD thought he could easily make a deal for a starting pg, and traded away Knight. But then the price went up because of our need. I could see that kind of Blunder being the final straw.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If the Houston trade had not been made, BK would be our starting pg right now, no?

I assume we would be more hopeful about the position. We would have Knight to start and the young guns to run off the bench if he started playing his hero ball.

I wonder if McD thought he could easily make a deal for a starting pg, and traded away Knight. But then the price went up because of our need. I could see that kind of Blunder being the final straw.

Knight is still out with an injury, but even if that weren’t the case, I am still glad he’s gone. I’d rather have no point guard (like now) than the wrong point guard. Knight would do more good than anyone we have, but he does a lot more bad. I want Booker and Ayton getting the most opportunity possible. Right now, it sucks that there is nobody to put them in the right position, but I am not pining for the guy who would take 20 shots per game instead.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
My first thought was, “shouldn’t that be ‘holing,’ instead?” I was still trying to figure out the metaphor, when it dawned on me that it was a typo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Knight is still out with an injury, but even if that weren’t the case, I am still glad he’s gone. I’d rather have no point guard (like now) than the wrong point guard. Knight would do more good than anyone we have, but he does a lot more bad. I want Booker and Ayton getting the most opportunity possible. Right now, it sucks that there is nobody to put them in the right position, but I am not pining for the guy who would take 20 shots per game instead.

I think the fact that the Suns traded Knight tells it all.

IMO, the Suns never changed their stance to trade Knight at the first opportunity they had. I think time has faded some of our memories of how bad he fit with the Suns.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the fact that the Suns traded Knight tells it all.

IMO, the Suns never changed their stance to trade Knight at the first opportunity they had. I think time has faded some of our memories of how bad he fit with the Suns.

Knight who? I wish.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
One of James Jones first hires was signing one of his "old" buddies. Whats there to worry about???:sarcasm:

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
Would you rather those minutes go to the likes of Shaq Harrison, Isaiah Canaan and Davon Reed?
Yes. All three are BETTER defenders. Also, Canaan can pass. Reed is better, but the lack of experience kills him on this team. Shaq is a 3rd PG at best, but at least he won't kill you on D.

In all seriousness, how does this compliment Book? Ideally, you'd want a pass first PG who can defend. Instead, we got a shoot always can't defend SG crammed into the PG position. Nuts. This just further embarrasses our franchise as we make inept move after inept move. You can see just about every analyst saying while shaking their head, "this is just what Phoenix does".

Here's about the only way I see this as a good move. James Jones and Crawford watch Money Ball together and after the scene where Beane confronts David Justice, James turns to him and says, "Yeah. Same thing here."

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

No he wouldn't, he's still out recovering from his ACL injury. Believe I read somewhere that he isn't projected to return this calendar year.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So. Shams says that Igor and Devin both lobbied for Jamal.

So, why?