Quick Thought on the NFL Draft

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The debate will be, as always, trade down or draft. The draft has good OL prospects at the top. The Cards must decide on Humphries’ future. If he’s the guy they should extend him. Then they need to decide which prospect can play RT. The DL & LB spots should be addressed in free agency. This is the best group in many years. They also need to sign a veteran WR and draft a round 3 speed receiver to replace JJ. This team can be a playoff contender next year with a good off-season. The GM issues needs to be immediately addressed before the season ends. When free agency starts, the front office needs to be ready to strike decisively.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
DL, if anything, should be addressed in the draft. Considering this is the most stacked DL class ever.

I will never ever believe in taking a OL with a top 3 pick in the draft. Not even the greatest OL of my generation(Walter Jones & Steve Hutchinson) didn’t go THAT high. Selecting a OL that high is how bad teams stay bad.

JD Robertson

Registered
Reaction score
I will never ever believe in taking a OL with a top 3 pick in the draft. Not even the greatest OL of my generation(Walter Jones & Steve Hutchinson) didn’t go THAT high. Selecting a OL that high is how bad teams stay bad.

Orlando Pace was pretty good. Didn't he go no. 1?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Orlando Pace was pretty good. Didn't he go no. 1?
He did. Even then, he wasn’t better than Walter Jones.
There’s more examples of failing to live up to the hype than surpassing the hype from what I’ve seen, though.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
DL, if anything, should be addressed in the draft. Considering this is the most stacked DL class ever.

Joe Thomas was drafted in the Top 5, wasn’t he?

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The bottom line is that the Draft is always a crap shoot. Sometimes you're right and sometimes not.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The debate will be, as always, trade down or draft. The draft has good OL prospects at the top. The Cards must decide on Humphries’ future. If he’s the guy they should extend him. Then they need to decide which prospect can play RT. The DL & LB spots should be addressed in free agency. This is the best group in many years. They also need to sign a veteran WR and draft a round 3 speed receiver to replace JJ. This team can be a playoff contender next year with a good off-season. The GM issues needs to be immediately addressed before the season ends. When free agency starts, the front office needs to be ready to strike decisively.
I couldn’t agree more with this post Harry, these are my thoughts exactly. I haven’t watched any games, so I haven’t seen Humphries this year but he is due to make almost $10M if he is on roster next year barring an extension. ARZ needs to determine if he is worth investing top LT money in or look for someone else. You don’t have to take an OT in Round 1 because this is a deep OT draft. You could take Andre Dillard, Isaiah Prince or David Edwards in Round 2. There are a lot of good DL in free agency next year so I would take a stud CB or WR in Round 1 after trading down as the CB & WR free agent class next year is not that deep.

As for Keim, sure keep him around but leave the draft to someone else, hopefully McDonough sticks around and he can handle it. If Keim has a problem with that like Alec Baldwin said in The Departed, “world needs bartenders” which maybe be a great career change for him.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Harry:

any sense of the relative quality of this draft (acknowledging its early)?

will this be like a 2017 draft (looks pretty good, with good players all the way to the bottom of round 1) or a 2013 draft (yikes -- )

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Ed Oliver would be a great step in fixing the run D. If Golden has a mediocre season they could probably get him back cheap on a one year prove it deal.

Golden-Oliver-Nkemdiche-Jones

Now we need a 3-down LB...

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Ed Oliver would be a great step in fixing the run D. If Golden has a mediocre season they could probably get him back cheap on a one year prove it deal.

I think that if Golden has a choice he'll run to a 3-4 team like the Steelers. He knows he can produce as an OLB.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

a franchise LT is worth the #1... but only that...

two philosophies on taking dline... get great star power at the top..
or...
if the class is really that deep in talent you can get a guy later...

there was a time when DT took three years to develop and the reason some of the greats were considered great is because they actually produced right away.

I like Bosa, he is well rounded... but I look back at our dlines of the past and I think it may be better for us to find a couple vet DT's... Frosty Rucker and Corey Peters did pretty well in stopping the run

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
This is supposed to be the best defensive linemen draft in decades from what i'm hearing and seeing. I'm all in on Ed Oliver if we can get him. He's supposed to be the next Aaron Donald. If we were to trade down we could get our starting RT and LG in the first round and our O-line would be set for years. I've always been a BPA guy though. If there is a superstar player sitting there take him regardless of position.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Our scouting dept shouldn't wait till the end of the season to start analyzing (1) who were the top draft picks this yr; (2) what were the unique physical, mental and emotional characteristics that made them so special and (3) what did the teams that drafted them do in order to get them (i.e. trade up, trade down, stand pat, pick them up on waivers, just go the BPA route etc etc)

A few teams in the NFL seem to add more football talent to their rosters each year than others. (Translation: Belichick). Why is that? What do they do that other teams don't do? We should find out and then do that.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
This is supposed to be the best defensive linemen draft in decades from what i'm hearing and seeing. I'm all in on Ed Oliver if we can get him. He's supposed to be the next Aaron Donald. If we were to trade down we could get our starting RT and LG in the first round and our O-line would be set for years. I've always been a BPA guy though. If there is a superstar player sitting there take him regardless of position.

He’s not the pass rusher Donald is although still a disruptive freak. Some of it may be scheme related but he doesn’t seem to be in the backfield much.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

Let me fix this for you: Now we need a LB (period). ;)

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
This is a strong draft for linemen on both sides. The difference is that virtually no long term OLs will be available in free agency. I know there are outstanding DLs available but I’m a contrarian. Other teams are salivating for these DLs. They will be letting proven, impact DLs go in surprising numbers to draft these temptations. Since you can’t get likely sure things on the OL in free agency, spend the cap money on impact DLs & LBs. The Cards have the money. Of course there’s no guarantee an early OL draft works. However, I can also give you a list of early taken DLs who failed. You can do that for virtually every position. Still you’ve got to get OLs and the draft offers the best shot next year. At this point I’m not advocating trading down unless it’s from #1 to #3. That may change but if you want a shot at fixing both sides of the ball, you’ve got to draft OL.

NMCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
With all of the issues that Keim has had drafting and developing players early over the past few years add in his drinking issues it will be interesting to see what he does if his team ends up with the first pick of the 2019 draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose