OT: Earl Thomas

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
did anyone else catch that he was flipping off someone as he was carted off... wonder what that was about?

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
did anyone else catch that he was flipping off someone as he was carted off... wonder what that was about?

Lots of speculation, he was flipping off the seahawk bench. He had a really ugly contract standoff with the team and very loudly told everyone he wanted out.

DutchmanAZ

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
THOMAS is a great player. I saw the same thing and have to ask if fans were cheering that he left the field.
Wish we had him as a player.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
He overvalued himself for his extension, sat or all off-season, cut 2 days off practice prior to last week's game and another for this week to help prevent wear and tear.... Betting on himself and trying to cut corners to stay healthy and get to free agency

Only to break his leg, end good season and put a dagger in his market value even further

Just anger and frustration with another broken leg - he talked about retirement from the hospital the last time

Love the guy, one of my favorites..... Sad way for it to end with him

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
probably all of seattle.

he held out... then he came back

today they announced he was on the trade block for two second round picks...then he gets hurt

lots of reasons to be mad

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I think he was flipping off the Seahawks sideline, but moreso as a sign to the staff, not the players. Just goes to show players in his situation like leveon bell are in a tough position when they know they can get one last contract if they hold out. Today some people may be saying Seattle did the right thing, but I think they also hurt themselves if reports are true that they could have gotten a middle to high second round pick for him from Dallas or a lower one from Kansas City had they traded him. Now they will get very little to nothing and he misses the season anyway.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If Seahawks chooses to sure. Doubt they will franchise tag a 30 year old safety coming off a broken leg.

Side note, no one will question Leveon Bell now
Earl Thomas can be franchised tagged this off season?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Everyone got screwed.

Thomas is a great safety, but it's being de-emphasized salary and rule wise. He is worth more than most because he can tackle and cover. But everyone else was playing the waiting game this offseason and eventually signed for NFL peanuts.

He's made ~50 million dollars as a safety, that's good money. He had some big injuries in the past two seasons, now three in a row. There's rationale for Seattle to hold him to his deal. That said, if they aren't interested in paying him in the future, they should of traded him.

They could of had a lot for him, they were too greedy. Now they get nothing.

Cowboys and/or any other team are screwed because they don't get his services, but there is a good chance this might have happened elsewhere because it seemed like a no/low contact type thing.

Thomas showed utter disrespect to ownership, staff, and players. They made him very rich, but none of that matters since they didn't make him richer. This can sow discord in the future and show other players how they can treat the team.

PC played dumb about the situation which makes him look like an idiot. Wagner's reaction was much better and closer to how Pete should have handled it.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Wasn’t he already the highest safety in the league? Oh well, no one wins now with the injury

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You might feel the same knowing $75 million in guaranteed money just got flushed.

He'll never see the fruit of his NFL labor because of this injury.

It's another reason why Bell is doing it right....again he just lost $75 million. Ugh

and the Cardinals are 0-4 headed to 0-16

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
You might feel the same knowing $75 million in guaranteed money just got flushed.

He'll never see the fruit of his NFL labor because of this injury.

It's another reason why Bell is doing it right....again he just lost $75 million. Ugh

and the Cardinals are 0-4 headed to 0-16

He is getting paid 8.5m to play this year.

I understand wanting to protect yourself but you signed a contract that paid 27m guaranteed and 8.5m in the final year. Take out insurance if you want to but you are getting paid to play 100%. He certainly didn't have a problem pocketing 45m since 2014.

Bell is a different story. He is choosing not to sign the franchise agreement and choosing not to get paid. He is not under contract.

Injuries happen and Thomas got lucky (not an ACL or worse). He will get paid but his attitude before and after the injury probably didn't help him.

mwanamatapa

Veteran
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would happily take a thirty year old Earl Thomas on our team. He's one of the best to ever do it. Hope he heals well

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

BirdDroppings

Rookie
Reaction score
He is getting paid 8.5m to play this year.

I understand wanting to protect yourself but you signed a contract that paid 27m guaranteed and 8.5m in the final year. Take out insurance if you want to but you are getting paid to play 100%. He certainly didn't have a problem pocketing 45m since 2014.

Bell is a different story. He is choosing not to sign the franchise agreement and choosing not to get paid. He is not under contract.

Injuries happen and Thomas got lucky (not an ACL or worse). He will get paid but his attitude before and after the injury probably didn't help him.

Signing the contract doesn't stop teams from not honoring it when they feel the player's play has declined. Why are players expected to honor their contracts when teams aren't?

AZ Shocker

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Meh......seems like a legit person...but the game made you RICH!!!!!!! Bad look cruising down the sideline albeit after breaking your leg. I wouldn't have done that. Would you???

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Signing the contract doesn't stop teams from not honoring it when they feel the player's play has declined. Why are players expected to honor their contracts when teams aren't?

Guaranteed money. Every time a contract is signed, you look at the guaranteed money to assess the deal. He banked 27m. So now, he is upset that the Seahawks are actually honoring his deal and paying another 8.5m this year (44m total)? No, he is upset because he is getting close to 30 and wants his last big guaranteed deal.

He is also the 6th highest paid safety this year (2018). He was skipping practices and is now injured.

If I were the Seahawks, I would be pissed off.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson