DeAnthony Melton

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Which is why its crazy Ball has the exact sqme stat line as Kidd as a Rookie and all of you hate him. He would fit this team perfect if he became available, this team needs a distubutor

Well, Ball certainly is the capable passer we need. Unfortunately, he does not have a good enough shooting touch to keep defenses honest, and he is neither a willing nor a capable defender. In my opinion, those weaknesses render him not worth the risk to team chemistry and morale that would come with the drama his father and he would bring to the table.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Well, Ball certainly is the capable passer we need. Unfortunately, he does not have a good enough shooting touch to keep defenses honest, and he is neither a willing nor a capable defender. In my opinion, those weaknesses render him not worth the risk to team chemistry and morale that would come with the drama his father and he would bring to the table.
Maybe get free shoes though? :sarcasm:

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So which PG's are on the team with a guaranteed contract?

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So which PG's are on the team with a guaranteed contract?

Melton is guaranteed for two years.

Okobo's first two years are guaranteed and the last two are non-guaranteed.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/07/suns-to-sign-elie-okobo-to-multiyear-deal.html

Canaan was a non-guaranteed contract.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/08/04/suns-re-sign-isaiah-canaan-to-non-guaranteed-contract/

It looks like Harrison's contract doesn't become guaranteed until January 10th of next year.

So as of now, it looks like only the rookies are guaranteed; the Suns did go on record in July, however, stating they planned to keep Harrison.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Melton is guaranteed for two years.

Okobo's first two years are guaranteed and the last two are non-guaranteed.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/07/suns-to-sign-elie-okobo-to-multiyear-deal.html

Canaan was a non-guaranteed contract.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/08/04/suns-re-sign-isaiah-canaan-to-non-guaranteed-contract/

It looks like Harrison's contract doesn't become guaranteed until January 10th of next year.

So as of now, it looks like only the rookies are guaranteed; the Suns did go on record in July, however, stating they planned to keep Harrison.

It makes me wonder why the Suns did not do a similar type deal with Melton as Okobo. I guess more details will follow.

I'm thinking there is a real chance the Suns carry four PGs with the signing of Melton as I think the Suns will add a veteran PG before the season begins.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anyone know whether it's a two-way contract?

I don't think you understand how 2 way contracts work. This does not mean the Suns cannot send him to the D-League, one or 2 of these guys almost certainly will be down there a ton. A 2 way contract is a contract that restricts how much time a player can spend on the NBA roster. As far as I know teams generally don't use them on players they consider potential long term options.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think you understand how 2 way contracts work. This does not mean the Suns cannot send him to the D-League, one or 2 of these guys almost certainly will be down there a ton. A 2 way contract is a contract that restricts how much time a player can spend on the NBA roster. As far as I know teams generally don't use them on players they consider potential long term options.

I could be wrong but I believe Two-Way contracts can only be signed for 1 year also. That way a player isn't stuck for a long period of time.

Two-Way contracts are a bit different though, like you said. If a player is signed to one it's clear that is what was done. Like when King signed his deal, it was very clear what sort of contract it was.

Any player on their rookie deal can be sent to the G-League. The NBA team is stuck paying them a full NBA salary but that doesn't really matter. They could keep Melton or Okobo down in the G-League virtually all year if that's their plan but I think that's unlikely. There haven't been a lot of players kept in the G-League for that long because the level of competition there isn't that great. It does help build confidence with young players but most NBA talent is capable of dominating down there fairly easy.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Here is a tidbit about the signing Melton. Perhaps Melton can be made a restricted free agent after his contract ends.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/02/hoops-rumors-glossary-gilbert-arenas-provision.html

He will be a restricted FA but Suns will only have his early bird rights and if they don't have the capspace to sign him outright another team can sign him with a poison pill provision, though teams that sign players to those deals typically regret it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He will be a restricted FA but Suns will only have his early bird rights and if they don't have the capspace to sign him outright another team can sign him with a poison pill provision, though teams that sign players to those deals typically regret it.

Thanks for the clarification. It's a bit of a question why the Suns did not sign him to a longer term contract with option years like they did for Ulis and Okobo.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification. It's a bit of a question why the Suns did not sign him to a longer term contract with option years like they did for Ulis and Okobo.
I think it may have to do with the cap and future seasons. It's all big picture. Right now it seems McD is setting up for big cap space next season. Maybe because he can't get that big name guy from other teams right now.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it may have to do with the cap and future seasons. It's all big picture. Right now it seems McD is setting up for big cap space next season. Maybe because he can't get that big name guy from other teams right now.

I sort of agree but the last 2 years of a 4 year contract for Melton could have been option years.

The Suns are likely saving a slot like the mid-level exception to sign a veteran point guard if need be.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I sort of agree but the last 2 years of a 4 year contract for Melton could have been option years.

The Suns are likely saving a slot like the mid-level exception to sign a veteran point guard if need be.

Perhaps Melton's camp wasn't interested in non-guaranteed years and that's what took so long to sign him. I think there is a good reason but who knows what it might be. This is one of those times I miss Bordow's coverage.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps Melton's camp wasn't interested in non-guaranteed years and that's what took so long to sign him. I think there is a good reason but who knows what it might be. This is one of those times I miss Bordow's coverage.

We agree. There is a huge hole in Suns coverage. I long for the days when Coro and Bordow were covering the Suns.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the reported reason the Suns did not sign Melton to a 3 or 4 year contract.

While most second-round picks who signed NBA contracts this offseason received three- or four-year deals, the Suns don’t currently have cap room or the mid-level exception available, meaning they probably won’t be able to offer Melton more than two years, using either the room exception or minimum salary exception. I explored the club’s contract options for the rookie guard earlier this month.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/09/suns-sign-deanthony-melton.html

I didn't realize the Suns didn't have the mid-level exception. Any thoughts on why?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aren’t exceptions given only if you are over the cap? We are basically at the cap I thought. I may be wrong though.

This makes a lot of sense.

It would seem the Suns could have traded Daniels for a second round pick (maybe they need him with Booker out) to clear room. Also the Suns have Arthur's contract which could be bought out. However, perhaps they are waiting to use his contract in a trade.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is another version of how Melton's contract was constructed using part of the mid-level exception.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave