Booker to undergo hand surgery

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just got flashed for changing lanes in a school zone.. wtf
If the school is in session that's legit, I have a lead foot but I don't screw around in school zones, kids don't really have a sense of mortality. But I don't think radar is fancy enough to track lane changes.

Last edited:

SunsFanFirst

Veteran
Reaction score
If the school is in session that's legit, I have a lead foot but I don't screw around in school zones, kids don't really have a sense of morality. But I don't think radar is fancy enough to track lane changes.
I always set my cruise control for 1 mile under in a school zone (super lead foot).. some ***** was going around 25 in the 35mph school zone so I changed lanes to pass and got flashed (middle of the day.. no kids in sight.. we are only two cars in that mile stretch.. would have never been given a ticket by an actual cop). It could not have been my speed because I went through the first set of cameras without issue.

SunsFanFirst

Veteran
Reaction score
I get no lane changes during drop off or pickup when kids are out of the classroom but this was on a major road (Power) and the limit is 35 not 15. And this was a JR High I passed

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, if you get served you're kinda screwed. A buddy of mine had been ducking a camera ticket for months, then his GF answered the door and signed for it, she figures out what it was, doesn't tell him thinking he'd be okay if he didn't know. He only found out when his insurance let him know his license had been flagged for suspension.

I drive a jeep and the tire on the back blocks cameras from seeing my plate. It is at juuuuuust the right angle to keep the last 2 digits from being seen.
Wonder if something like this is what happened to Book.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
@TJ drives too fast to be photo’d.

Funny story: in the late 90s when Scottsdale had its mobile photo speed traps in random locations, I got flashed going 15 over by one of them on Frank Lloyd Wright past Pima. However, once I saw the flash, I slammed on the brakes so hard that I came to a complete stop so it couldn't get a photo of my license plate. Would venture to guess that it got a photo of my face and the side of my truck.

I hated those MFers more than the cameras on the freeways.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
McD gave an update on Booker's injury at the "State of the Suns" season ticket holder event last night. He said he's had the sutures removed and might be able to start shooting when training camp starts. That's a good sign, IMO. He also said that no trauma caused the surgery to happen. Booker didn't hit his hand, fall, or anything like that. It just flared up on it's own. I would imagine that means everything is healing well and this should be the end of any issues with his hand. There have been no setbacks, which is good. Hopefully he's able to play at the start of the season. I don't care if he misses preseason, personally. It would be nice if he didn't but he needs to be healthy for the real season.

The person reporting is one of the co-hosts of The Timeline podcast and was at the season ticket holder event last night. I know most people won't recognize his name so I thought I'd elaborate on who he is before anyone asks about his credibility.

I don't see a reason to doubt what he's saying in this instance. He's only relaying what he heard and it's not anything too surprising. He posted some videos from the event also, not a ton of information given. It's more or less the Suns kissing season ticket holders asses to make them feel good about dumping that much money on the team. I like the Timeline podcast also. It hasn't been around that long but they do a good job with it and are quite thorough and creative. Their last episode had a hand surgeon on to talk about Booker's injury. It wasn't who treated Booker but that shows the lengths they go to make a quality episode, IMO. They didn't need to do that but it's cool that they did. Here's a link to their website where you can find links and descriptions for various shows.

Here are the tweets mentioning Booker's hand injury. Check out his Twitter feed for more tweets about things said during the event.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
...no trauma caused the surgery to happen. Booker didn't hit his hand, fall, or anything like that. It just flared up on it's own. I would imagine that means everything is healing well and this should be the end of any issues with his hand. There have been no setbacks, which is good. Hopefully he's able to play at the start of the season.
I am curious about your opinion on this ...

If a trauma had caused the surgery, that could be evaluated specifically and regularly.

But if it flared up on its own (establishing a situation of a weak area), it could flare up again.

Unless the surgery precludes that. As far as you know, is that the case? Or could there still be a chance of unexpected flareups?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am curious about your opinion on this ...

If a trauma had caused the surgery, that could be evaluated specifically and regularly.

But if it flared up on its own (establishing a situation of a weak area), it could flare up again.

Unless the surgery precludes that. As far as you know, is that the case? Or could there still be a chance of unexpected flareups?

I think the surgery repaired whatever was damaged that caused issues. While there may have been no trauma to cause a flare up that doesn't mean he didn't do something that caused it to flare up like just working out differently, using the hand in a new or unusual manner. He might have just rested it finally and since he's been using it alot the constant activity kept it from bothering him but finally resting it allowed it to balloon some. I really don't know though.

I hope for the best and I think this will all be put behind him going forward. If you ever listen to podcasts check out the one the Timeline did with a hand surgeon from St Joe's hospital. They talk a lot more extensively about the injury, potential issues, and the surgery.

Here's a link, it should help put your mind at ease some. It's good to hear from someone who does know what he's talking about even if he wasn't the one who examined Booker initially.

https://thetimelinepodcast.com/2018...ker-rant-about-basketball-media-plus-mailbag/

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Apparently at the season ticket holder event the other day someone asked Melton who his favorite athlete on social media to follow was and he said Embiid which caused Ayton to get visible upset. When Ayton was asked the same question he answered with "DeAndre Ayton" to a bunch of laughs.

Embiid taking a shot today is almost an extension of that. I know that didn't get national coverage but it wouldn't surprise me if word got back to him. I actually like their little feud. With the season starting around the corner that gives them the chance to really back it up and since Embiid has looked good as a pro that means that Ayton needs to deliver to keep it going. I'm hoping he's able to make him eat his words and it becomes a new sort of Shaq vs David Robinson type of feud for years to come. So long as it doesn't negatively effect Ayton's game I don't see the harm in it.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I thought the more noteworthy aspect is that Booker responded. I feel like he gets motivation from this kind of thing, and I like that he's already getting Ayton's back.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the big deal here is. Is Embiid correct in what he is saying? Yes he is. Did he slam Ayton in the clip above? No he didn't. What's the big deal? If they have a friendly rivalry, then I'm all for it. If all Ayton becomes is Joel Embiid, I think we'd all be ecstatic.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Apparently at the season ticket holder event the other day someone asked Melton who his favorite athlete on social media to follow was and he said Embiid which caused Ayton to get visible upset. When Ayton was asked the same question he answered with "DeAndre Ayton" to a bunch of laughs.

Embiid taking a shot today is almost an extension of that. I know that didn't get national coverage but it wouldn't surprise me if word got back to him. I actually like their little feud. With the season starting around the corner that gives them the chance to really back it up and since Embiid has looked good as a pro that means that Ayton needs to deliver to keep it going. I'm hoping he's able to make him eat his words and it becomes a new sort of Shaq vs David Robinson type of feud for years to come. So long as it doesn't negatively effect Ayton's game I don't see the harm in it.
I like it too. Ayton has to step up his game. His alternatives are to play really well, or be humiliated by Embiid. I don't think he thinks the second is acceptable. Every good player in every sport is motivated by this type of stuff. Ayton being really motivated cannot be a bad thing.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the surgery repaired whatever was damaged that caused issues. While there may have been no trauma to cause a flare up that doesn't mean he didn't do something that caused it to flare up like just working out differently, using the hand in a new or unusual manner. He might have just rested it finally and since he's been using it alot the constant activity kept it from bothering him but finally resting it allowed it to balloon some. I really don't know though.

I hope for the best and I think this will all be put behind him going forward. If you ever listen to podcasts check out the one the Timeline did with a hand surgeon from St Joe's hospital. They talk a lot more extensively about the injury, potential issues, and the surgery.

Here's a link, it should help put your mind at ease some. It's good to hear from someone who does know what he's talking about even if he wasn't the one who examined Booker initially.

https://thetimelinepodcast.com/2018...ker-rant-about-basketball-media-plus-mailbag/

It's also nice to see TheTimelinePodcast take on the some of the national media who continually take shots at the Suns.

As pointed out, some of them have probably not watched a Suns game.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

Thanks for the link. I din't have time for the whole segment but, hopefully, DBook and we can all move on.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So Devin Booker is doing this with his injured hand.

He almost looks like he could play.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Booker is now shooting with his right hand.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
While I am really encouraged, I really wish he'd leave it alone for another week or so. Let it heal, and then let it heal some more.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson