Plans to address our PG Situation For Start of Season

How should we address the PG position for this season?

• Total voters

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If they are worried about not being able to retain him after next year, they might look to trade, I suppose.
But I don’t think they have much reason to worry about that. Rubio has been reborn in Utah, is in a winning team with good young talent.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I voted for #2.

Since there still isn't anything magical out there, I'm all for trading for Dinwiddie. He has both upside and production to his game. His contract is cheap. He won't cost a ton. He's 6-6, and just posted a crazy good 4.125 A:TO.

I'd give up a non lottery pick for him. I'm not overly excited about adding ANOTHER prospect we land in the teens, so I'd protect the Milwaukee pick if they don't bite on two 2nd rounders.
I think you are underestimating what Brooklyn would demand for him. If the Clippers are demanding a first for Beverley, the Nets will certainly require that, and probably better, for Dinwiddie. Yes his contract is cheap, but the asking price won’t be.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I think you are underestimating what Brooklyn would demand for him. If the Clippers are demanding a first for Beverley, the Nets will certainly require that, and probably better, for Dinwiddie. Yes his contract is cheap, but the asking price won’t be.

I'd give them the Bucks' pick and some other stuff. I look at Dinwiddie as a potential point guard of the future. I really like the kid, but I have no doubt that the Nets would want more.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think #3 is the most likely option but McDonough has been totally unpredictable this summer outside of drafting Ayton and Okobo.

Errntknght

Reaction score
It is interesting that I seem to be the only one on here who thinks Kokoskov could pick his lead guard better than we could. I would guess his first two choices would be Rubio and Dragic, probably in that order. If that's the case and he makes sure McD knows it, I can imagine us going with the guys we have this year, then pursuing Rubio next year. Assuming of course that the youngsters are not stellar. If they are not we probably let Canaan go, keep Okobo in the pipeline and the better fitting of Harrison and Melton as Rubio's backup. The fly in the ointment would be Utah having such great success this year they outbid us for Rubio.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is interesting that I seem to be the only one on here who thinks Kokoskov could pick his lead guard better than we could. I would guess his first two choices would be Rubio and Dragic, probably in that order. If that's the case and he makes sure McD knows it, I can imagine us going with the guys we have this year, then pursuing Rubio next year. Assuming of course that the youngsters are not stellar. If they are not we probably let Canaan go, keep Okobo in the pipeline and the better fitting of Harrison and Melton as Rubio's backup. The fly in the ointment would be Utah having such great success this year they outbid us for Rubio.

I suspect there is a large gap between "what you want" and what is available.

I hope he will make due, and I think with the meager offering on the menu he give playing time to he best of what he has... but I don't think our current situation is a sign that our coach has high confidence in the grouping. I could interpret it as a sign that he REALLY didn't like Knight, but not much else.

Also, I'd go either either #4 o #3 on the poll. I'm okay with a cheap stop gap, just so long as they're a clear upgrade on our current lot. I don't think the tattered remnant of the backup quality point guard that once was Beverly qualifies.

Last edited:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
There’s a good chance a serviceable vet will be released when teams finalize their rosters. The Suns may be able to sign one for cheap. How many PGs do the Clippers have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
There’s a good chance a serviceable vet will be released when teams finalize their rosters. The Suns may be able to sign one for cheap. How many PGs do the Clippers have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we wait too long, there won't be time to integrate him with the rest of the team and Kokoskov's system.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
1. We don't need a star. If we can find a quality all-around player that can start, that would really be nice--a Brogdon type of player.
2. Like who? No one is on the trade block right now. Brogdon, maybe Dinwiddie, DAR.
3. I actually OK with bringing in a vet, as long as we don't overpay. Let's be certain that the vet is actually better than what we have. Beverly after microfracture surgery is doubtful. How many useless vets have we brought in over the past few years? We do have to get rid of one of your young pg's though if we we do. Can't carry 5.
4. This might be our only option available. I am not in the pick up games. I cannot see what is happening. At least we will have defense from the position.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
1. We don't need a star. If we can find a quality all-around player that can start, that would really be nice--a Brogdon type of player.
2. Like who? No one is on the trade block right now. Brogdon, maybe Dinwiddie, DAR.
3. I actually OK with bringing in a vet, as long as we don't overpay. Let's be certain that the vet is actually better than what we have. Beverly after microfracture surgery is doubtful. How many useless vets have we brought in over the past few years? We do have to get rid of one of your young pg's though if we we do. Can't carry 5.
4. This might be our only option available. I am not in the pick up games. I cannot see what is happening. At least we will have defense from the position.

Regarding your third point, Canaan might not be able to play, and at least one if not both of Okobo and Melton should spend much of the time this season in the G League, so we wouldn't need to get rid of anyone.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Regarding your third point, Canaan might not be able to play, and at least one if not both of Okobo and Melton should spend much of the time this season in the G League, so we wouldn't need to get rid of anyone.
Canaan is playing already. Broken bones heal, bone on bone doesn't. Beverly's surgery is more troubling than Canaan's

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If we wait too long, there won't be time to integrate him with the rest of the team and Kokoskov's system.
Or instead of being alarmist we can recognize they’ll have all season considering this team isn’t making the playoffs this year.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

Why wouldn't Canaan be able to play? I read he was already playing. His conditioning is probably not optimal, but I am not sure why he wouldn't be able to play? Do you have any insight that we don't?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
If a player were to become available in a trade that moves the needle enough to get us to the playoffs, yes go big and get that guy in. Especially if it addresses the need for several seasons down the road. If it is a one and done, or if we overspend for guys that won't get us to the playoffs, like a Beverly, then what's the point, stick with what we have. To me it boils down to are we going to trade for a guy that raises our team to a playoff team? If not, then why do it? I'd rather see how the guys we have do if we aren't making tha playoffs anyway.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What I want is patience. Wait until the trade deadline and then make a move.

I want Jones from the Twolves.
I am not in favor of “wait until the trade deadline” as a strategy for building a team. The trade deadline is where you correct what is not working out.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I could wait until trade deadline if it's a long term top tier guy. I would rather do that than bring in a guy for a season just to fill a hole. If that's the case, we aren't making tha playoffs anyway so lets give Okoboe and Melton the ball and see how they develop.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd rather the Suns trade away our vets at the deadline, give the younger players a ton of time throughout the remainder of the year and then let the ping pong balls bounce however they do. If we acquired a top PG at the deadline that could change our draft positioning quite a bit. I know we don't need more young players but if we're going to miss the playoffs and pick in the lottery then we may as well hope for our pick to be as high as possible.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The closer this gets to training camp perhaps the Suns are trying to be a player in the Jimmy Butler matter and will acquire a point guard as a spinoff trade.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I'd rather the Suns trade away our vets at the deadline, give the younger players a ton of time throughout the remainder of the year and then let the ping pong balls bounce however they do. If we acquired a top PG at the deadline that could change our draft positioning quite a bit. I know we don't need more young players but if we're going to miss the playoffs and pick in the lottery then we may as well hope for our pick to be as high as possible.
So that's another point in this whole deal. I don't want the team to try and tank on purpose. I also don't want to get a guy like Beverly, end up 10 games out of the playoffs and end up middle of the pack in the first round on draft night. If you are going to miss the playoffs anyway, hold your water and develop guys like you are saying. Now if we can get a top tier PG in a trade that makes us a solid playoff team, that's worth having a lesser pick in the first round.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The closer this gets to training camp perhaps the Suns are trying to be a player in the Jimmy Butler matter and will acquire a point guard as a spinoff trade.
I am just wondering how we play people with Butler. The starting lineup would be kinda weird. How many forwards can we start?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am just wondering how we play people with Butler. The starting lineup would be kinda weird. How many forwards can we start?

I'm not looking for the Suns to acquire Butler as a rental but rather try to help facilitate the trade to a team that wants him. Maybe a PG becomes available. It's hard to know how it would work not knowing the other team but if Butler went to the Clippers they would need to clear some room.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I am just wondering how we play people with Butler. The starting lineup would be kinda weird.
I'm not looking for the Suns to acquire Butler as a rental but rather try to help facilitate the trade to a team that wants him. Maybe a PG becomes available. It's hard to know how it would work not knowing the other team but if Butler went to the Clippers they would need to clear some room.
I could see that in a three or four team scenario. I think it all depends on getting Butler to a team he wants to go to, because it all hinges on who wants him and if he will sign a long term deal with them. Both of those last two things make it difficult. The teams that may want him, may not be the places he wants to go.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So maybe Taylor decides to give Thibs his way and they trade Kat instead of Butler? Would anyone here do something like a Chandler, Ayton, Bender, Daniels (plus a pick or two) for Towns, Teague and Dieng?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose