The 2018-2019 Around the NBA thread

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If we're trading for someone who can walk next summer I would like to make a go at Ricky Rubio. He should be cheaper than all other names and even though he has an incredibly punchable face he knows Igor's offense and is on the right side of 30, plays defense, can knock down 3's, and find his teammates in position to score. He's not a name like Kemba Walker but I think he would have more of a positive impact than anyone who isn't a legit All-Star. I wonder what it would take to get him from Utah though. I would do Bender and the Bucks pick, easily. Warren is a possibility also. I don't think Utah has bad contract they would look to unload so I'm not sure what sort of deal could be worked with them.

Rubio would be great, but I doubt we have the right pieces to entice Utah to trade him. I assume they want to win next season, which means they're likely not motivated to move on from him. If they did want to move on, they'd want more than promising young players. They're likely a top 10 team right now, so why would they gamble on Exum as their starting point guard?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If we're trading for someone who can walk next summer I would like to make a go at Ricky Rubio. He should be cheaper than all other names and even though he has an incredibly punchable face he knows Igor's offense and is on the right side of 30, plays defense, can knock down 3's, and find his teammates in position to score. He's not a name like Kemba Walker but I think he would have more of a positive impact than anyone who isn't a legit All-Star. I wonder what it would take to get him from Utah though. I would do Bender and the Bucks pick, easily. Warren is a possibility also. I don't think Utah has bad contract they would look to unload so I'm not sure what sort of deal could be worked with them.

That's another one that interests me, for the right price, for precisely the reasons you mention here.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rubio would be great, but I doubt we have the right pieces to entice Utah to trade him. I assume they want to win next season, which means they're likely not motivated to move on from him. If they did want to move on, they'd want more than promising young players. They're likely a top 10 team right now, so why would they gamble on Exum as their starting point guard?

I agree. Rubio has played some of the best basketball of his career in Utah.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Why even bring this up they love Rubio in Utah and I’ve seen nary a slight hint that they would move him.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Why even bring this up they love Rubio in Utah and I’ve seen nary a slight hint that they would move him.
Well I would like Steph Curry personally. Maybe a couple second round picks?? If we throw in Canaan so they don't lose a PG? ;)

Errntknght

Reaction score
A couple of years ago Utah was said to be looking to move Rubio but after last season I'm sure there little chance they'd let him go.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He's the only player that will be a free agent next summer that I would be interested in trading for. That seemed to be where the conversation was going, with talk of trading for a player who could presumably walk next summer and I threw in my 2 cents. If we gamble on someone who might leave at years end then I would prefer we go for someone like Rubio who could be a good fit, fill a need, and be someone we might want to resign also.

I don't know how Utah feels about him. I know they resigned Exum and they still have Raul Neto under contract also. That gives them 3 point guards right now and Rubio is the oldest, most expensive, and contract expires first also. Who knows what Utah would be interested in, I even said as much. It makes more sense than a Tobias Harris or a Jimmy Butler, both players who expire at years end that might be able to be had in a trade but it's unlikely we could resign either and even if we traded for them they're not great fits. Both were mentioned before I brought up Rubio.

Maybe he doesn't look so good without Kokoskov, who was largely credited with his turnaround. Kokoskov was credited for Rubio's improvement before signing with the Suns also. If Rubio does stumble without Igor, the Suns need to get on the phone.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He's the only player that will be a free agent next summer that I would be interested in trading for. That seemed to be where the conversation was going, with talk of trading for a player who could presumably walk next summer and I threw in my 2 cents. If we gamble on someone who might leave at years end then I would prefer we go for someone like Rubio who could be a good fit, fill a need, and be someone we might want to resign also.

I don't know how Utah feels about him. I know they resigned Exum and they still have Raul Neto under contract also. That gives them 3 point guards right now and Rubio is the oldest, most expensive, and contract expires first also. Who knows what Utah would be interested in, I even said as much. It makes more sense than a Tobias Harris or a Jimmy Butler, both players who expire at years end that might be able to be had in a trade but it's unlikely we could resign either and even if we traded for them they're not great fits. Both were mentioned before I brought up Rubio.

Maybe he doesn't look so good with Kokoskov, who was largely credited with his turnaround. He was credited before signing with the Suns also. If he does stumble without Igor, the Suns need to get on the phone.
Okay those are all reasonable.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I would be on board with Rubio, too - in fact, I think he would be a perfect fit, and is exactly who McD should be targeting. But as mentioned, I don't see why Utah would want to part with him right now, unless...

Thinking about it, it is also a strong possibility that Rubio is precisely who the Suns are targeting for next off-season. It makes sense with his ties to Kokoskov, and he really does fit in more or less perfectly with the younger core the Suns are building, at least as a good placeholder until Okobo/Melton develop.

The one incentive for Utah to move him now would be if they assume he will ask for too much, and be too willing to walk next off-season and leave them with nothing in return.

JustWinBaby

Veteran
Reaction score
I agree. Rubio has played some of the best basketball of his career in Utah.

I like Rubio as well and would love to have him.

However I think he was happy to get out of Minnesota and away from Thibodeau. I think Igor freed him up and didn't constantly yell instructions on every play. I expect that he is pretty happy in Minnesota as they are with him. We will see what he brings in free agency. At this writing he would be my top priority next off season.

As I have stated many times before. Thibodeau is one of the most overrated coaches in the league.

All his screaming with that voice has got to be irritating as hell. As far as him being a great defensive coach, Minnesota still sucks on defense. It won't get any better after they trade Butler.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

However I think he was happy to get out of Minnesota and away from Thibodeau. I think Igor freed him up and didn't constantly yell instructions on every play. I expect that he is pretty happy in Minnesota as they are with him. We will see what he brings in free agency. At this writing he would be my top priority next off season.

As I have stated many times before. Thibodeau is one of the most overrated coaches in the league.

All his screaming with that voice has got to be irritating as hell. As far as him being a great defensive coach, Minnesota still sucks on defense. It won't get any better after they trade Butler.
Shocker. I agree with JWB!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Rubio would be a good fit with the Suns. However, I think he will stay in Utah as his game has really improved there. You make good points about the situation with the Timberwolves. It would take a super offer to pry him away from the Jazz so I don't think it happens.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So. When Rubio was in Minny he was a bad player. He could pass and play D, but his shooting was historically bad. Igor is being credited with turning him around. So, is there a chance that Igor could do that with one of our point guards? The interesting common factor is that all of our point guards have similar strengths and weaknesses to Rubion before he went to Utah. He seems to like to start with a defensive passing player and build on that.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So. When Rubio was in Minny he was a bad player. He could pass and play D, but his shooting was historically bad. Igor is being credited with turning him around. So, is there a chance that Igor could do that with one of our point guards? The interesting common factor is that all of our point guards have similar strengths and weaknesses to Rubion before he went to Utah. He seems to like to start with a defensive passing player and build on that.

The key was that Rubio could pass. Harrison can't. I do have hope that Igor could develop Okobo or Melton as he did with Rubio, but unlike Rubio it will take at least 2-3 years for either Okobo or Melton to get their ability up to NBA level jn any facet of the game.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The key was that Rubio could pass. Harrison can't. I do have hope that Igor could develop Okobo or Melton as he did with Rubio, but unlike Rubio it will take at least 2-3 years for either Okobo or Melton to get their ability up to NBA level jn any facet of the game.
Can, can't. Such black and white evaluations.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking a Suns trade will happen soon. My gut feeling is it will happen after the Jimmy Butler trade so I am on pins and needles. My guess is it could happen as soon as today or tomorrow.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow. Miami's bad contracts. Yuck.

James Johnson ... 3 years $46,048,200
Dion Waiters ... 3 years $36,300,000
Kelly Olynyk ... 3 years $35,003,655
Tyler Johnson ... 2 years $38,490,740
Hassan Whiteside ... 2 years $52,527,281

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hey look who I saw at the Denver airport.

You must be registered for see images attach

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Hey look who I saw at the Denver airport.

Damn pretty crazy that he's not flying private...after that season he had in Boston few years back I'm sure he thought he'd have private jets, yachts and all that by now.

Just goes to show how we can never take life for granted.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Sucks for Pels fans. You know Rich Paul is now going to slowly start represnting all of Davis' teammates and then the franchise will be forced to overpay those teammates in order to keep Davis happy and in NOLA (see JR Smith, Tristian Thompson etc).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson