Apologists, please explain why this is OK in a "rebuild year"

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I've been hearing a lot of people around the net giving SK and the coaching staff a pass, essentially saying this was what we should have expected - that this is what every fan has to settle for during a "rebuild year" in the the NFL. I don't buy that one bit, but I'm willing to hear the argument.

If this team was looking at a 8-8, or even 6-10 team I could maybe buy into that a little bit, but this team has been trending down for the last 2 seasons. We're playing a team that went 11-5 and won our division in their "rebuild" year.

This team doesn't look anything like a team that just needs to work out some kinks or is a couple key pieces away from being competitive. If SK, and perhaps the coaching staff, is not to blame for this, then who this? BA? CP? Doubtful.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't think there are many, if any, apologists for this.

Defense may take time, but absolutely no reason for the offense to be trash. As fans, it is our responsibility to take Wills and Keim, then Bidwill to task for this terrible product. Or just stop buying until the product is better.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
WRs are really bad. I don't blame Kirk because he is a rookie but Chad Williams sucks. How they thought going into the season with this group was ok is beyond me. So you have a vanilla offense, WRs that can't get open, and a QB that is gun shy and this is what you get. I'm surprised but I'm not.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
WRs are really bad. I don't blame Kirk because he is a rookie but Chad Williams sucks. How they thought going into the season with this group was ok is beyond me. So you have a vanilla offense, WRs that can't get open, and a QB that is gun shy and this is what you get. I'm surprised but I'm not.
Rosen could put up SOMETHING even with this group.

NMCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think it is fine to loose this season. But it is not ok to come out totally unprepared two weeks in a row. And you would hope the games would be more competitive.
As far as SK goes they should have ditched him during his drinking and driving bender. His decisions have clearly set the team way behind in the NFL.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've been hearing a lot of people around the net giving SK and the coaching staff a pass, essentially saying this was what we should have expected - that this is what every fan has to settle for during a "rebuild year" in the the NFL. I don't buy that one bit, but I'm willing to hear the argument.

If this team was looking at a 8-8, or even 6-10 team I could maybe buy into that a little bit, but this team has been trending down for the last 2 seasons. We're playing a team that went 11-5 and won our division in their "rebuild" year.

This team doesn't look anything like a team that just needs to work out some kinks or is a couple key pieces away from being competitive. If SK, and perhaps the coaching staff, is not to blame for this, then who this? BA? CP? Doubtful.

Honestly I think your a bit delusional.

The Rams have been "rebuilding" for the last 10 years. Last season was there first winning season in 14 years. So is the Rams and there rebuilding process the one you want to compare us to

You go up and you go down. We've been in the mix since for a few years now and now it's our turn to be on bottom.

This is football.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There were maybe 4 good plays in the game. the batdown by Chandler Jones, the pick by PP, the diving catch by Fitz and the play by Mayowa?

I can't even credit Lee's punts because he was outkicking the coverage for big returns.

OP
OP
B

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Honestly I think your a bit delusional.

The Rams have been "rebuilding" for the last 10 years. Last season was there first winning season in 14 years. So is the Rams and there rebuilding process the one you want to compare us to

You go up and you go down. We've been in the mix since for a few years now and now it's our turn to be on bottom.

This is football.

You're kidding right? By that standard every year is a rebuild year? No, 10 years of "rebuilding" is the mark of a team with bigger problems (HC, GM, ownership). That doesn't make sense. There isn't a better analog in the world than the Rams and us. They were largely a 7-9 team (same as us over the last 2 seasons), but the year before they won the division they were 4-12. Does that sound like a team progressing with their build up... going from around .500 to winning just 4 games? Then, just the next year they go from 4-12 to division champs. Also, the Rams, offensively, were in a nearly identical situation as us... a brand new HC, QB and a couple standouts (like a star RB). They had a functional offense from the START of the season despite all of these same things.

Your logic is essentially that there is nothing you can influence, football is all cyclical. Right... tell that to the Pats or Browns for that matter. A well managed team is a perennial winner above 500 with a SINGLE aberration season once in a while... not being up years and down years.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The "tanking process".

I don't believe in tanking in the NFL. It can be a bottom less pit where losing becomes acceptable. It might make some sense if the Cardinals needed a QBOTF but they have Rosen.

Even teams in the NBA that tank (with smaller rosters) have a hard time climbing out of the pit. It perpetuates a losing mentality. I do not want this for the Cardinals.

Fiasco

Tyler Durden
Reaction score
You're kidding right? By that standard every year is a rebuild year? No, 10 years of "rebuilding" is the mark of a team with bigger problems (HC, GM, ownership). That doesn't make sense. There isn't a better analog in the world than the Rams and us. They were largely a 7-9 team (same as us over the last 2 seasons), but the year before they won the division they were 4-12. Does that sound like a team progressing with their build up... going from around .500 to winning just 4 games? Then, just the next year they go from 4-12 to division champs. Also, the Rams, offensively, were in a nearly identical situation as us... a brand new HC, QB and a couple standouts (like a star RB). They had a functional offense from the START of the season despite all of these same things.

Your logic is essentially that there is nothing you can influence, football is all cyclical. Right... tell that to the Pats or Browns for that matter. A well managed team is a perennial winner above 500 with a SINGLE aberration season once in a while... not being up years and down years.

I'd like to point out that McVay could conceivably coach the rams for decades, particularly if he's able to to string together a few more years of success to smooth over any future rough seasons.

What could Arians have done for us had he gotten his head coaching start 10 years younger?

OP
OP
B

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yes, Arians was a good coach and put good staff around him for the most part, save for Amos. I think his biggest flaws came from his age... it was hard on his health to give 110% at all times. I think when we suffered it was from lack of adjustment and resting on our laurels. I think the other part of the "age" thing, which he made clear, he was going to do things his way since he knew it wasn't going to last long. I think that meant that he would rather make decisions that made him sleep good at night as opposed to making tough decisions that would stress him out and affect personal relationships, but ultimately would have been best for the team. Part of being a players coach is you get too close to some players to be objective. I felt like he had some favorites, or those he made personal (unfortunate) commitments to, and for those players and staff it was like a social club and not a football club.

I feel like Wilkes does not have the locker room. We had some of our core players on D not playing the snaps they normally do. Is this because they can't figure out the new scheme, are rejecting it, or what's going on? Not a good sign.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I love new Cardinal fans who think winning is there birth right.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
Meh. I dont get too high or low watching AZ sports teams anymore. The 93 Suns and the 2008 Cards ripped my heart out so I really dont get too upset anything sports related. Too much poo going on in this world today to worry about a game played by millionaires.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The problem is that rebuilding efforts require young talent. Outside of Rosen and Kirk, we don't really have much young talent. We have a few core guys in their prime who are in win now mode, but we lack a competent coaching staff or supporting cast to help them. And our QB looks straight up terrified to be out there.

You can't continue to blow high draft picks and win in the NFL. We're seeing why that is right now.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I've been a fan for 44 seasons. I've lived through some bad teams and this is by far the worst.
Woah...... Recency bias?

This is truly ugly....... But I think they wouldn’t be fooled by a Bono bootleg.

In short.... The bottom of the well is still in front of us IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This team is not in a rebuild phase. Just a terrible footfall team phase. The talent is not young, it's old. Years of bad drafting have put this team into a deep ditch that will take years to recover from.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose