Free Agency 2018

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I didn't care much for Monroe until he came here and he handled the situation like you'd want a pro to. He knew he wasn't in our plans but still played hard when asked and showcased himself for other teams. He knew how he looked would impact where he'd end up. He was a willing passer also, which was surprising. I didn't realize he had a good post game outside of scoring. He'll make a solid 3rd big for a team like Toronto. Surprised it took him so long to find a team though. Unlike other bigs he's proven to be effective when played.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

And the deal is only partially guaranteed. It's a weird transitional period in the NBA right now. Guys like Jahlil Okafor or Greg Monroe would have received 8 figures a year just 2 offseason's ago but now they're lucky to get fully guaranteed contracts that pay them the league minimum. It has nothing to do with injuries, attitude, or a real drop in their personal production either but the game has changed a lot and the way contracts are earned now are by how well you can hit 3's, regardless of how big you are.

I know there wasn't as much money to go around this offseason but seeing them sign for such small amounts is a little surprising because the change happened so quickly. Big guys continued to get paid up until this last year. Even Monroe signed with Boston after we cut him for more money than he's getting paid this season. He signed for $5 million for about half the season while he got $2.2 for a full year this offseason.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And the deal is only partially guaranteed. It's a weird transitional period in the NBA right now. Guys like Jahlil Okafor or Greg Monroe would have received 8 figures a year just 2 offseason's ago but now they're lucky to get fully guaranteed contracts that pay them the league minimum. It has nothing to do with injuries, attitude, or a real drop in their personal production either but the game has changed a lot and the way contracts are earned now are by how well you can hit 3's, regardless of how big you are.

I know there wasn't as much money to go around this offseason but seeing them sign for such small amounts is a little surprising because the change happened so quickly. Big guys continued to get paid up until this last year. Even Monroe signed with Boston after we cut him for more money than he's getting paid this season. He signed for $5 million for about half the season while he got $2.2 for a full year this offseason.

I would say not being able to even pretend to defend the modern big has at least as much to do with why they are no longer highly valued. In Okafor's case, you have to throw in his unwillingness to pass out of the quadruple team as another factor. And his attitude. And his off court behavior. Any maybe even his health (rumors).

But you're right, the game has written this type of player off the court. If Len had come into the league 2 years earlier, we'd have probably given him a hefty 5 year contract too.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It seems like centers are not getting paid what I expected. Although Nurkic is not a 3 point shooter, he has a nice outside shot but only gets a contract for 4 years at $48 million. Then the Suns trade for Holmes for only 1 $ million and Okafor gets only a partially guaranteed contract with the Pelicans. And Len gets only gets 2 years at 8.5 million with the Hawks.

At times it seems like a coin toss how much a center is worth.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would say not being able to even pretend to defend the modern big has at least as much to do with why they are no longer highly valued. In Okafor's case, you have to throw in his unwillingness to pass out of the quadruple team as another factor. And his attitude. And his off court behavior. Any maybe even his health (rumors).

I know Okafor has his warts, no doubt, but he's just a few years removed from being the #3 pick in the 2015 draft. He wasn't used well in Philly and his attitude can be written off to some degree with how they treated him in his last year. They didn't pick up his 4th year option but also weren't willing to trade him for any less than a 1st rounder. He did show potential in his first 2 seasons and wasn't totally lost on the court like Bender has been, for example. At his age, you'd think he'd find a team within the first 2-3 weeks of free agency and not a partially guaranteed vet minimum deal in the 6th week of free agency. This would be his 4th NBA season after all, which isn't even past the time of a regular rookie deal.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It seems like centers are not getting paid what I expected. Although Nurkic is not a 3 point shooter, he has a nice outside shot but only gets a contract for 4 years at $48 million. Then the Suns trade for Holmes for only 1 $ million and Okafor gets only a partially guaranteed contract with the Pelicans. And Len gets only gets 2 years at 8.5 million with the Hawks.

At times it seems like a coin toss how much a center is worth.

$8 million of Nurkic's deal is incentives also, only $40 million is guaranteed. That was a good deal. Unless a big has proven they can play within a team's current system, they're not getting paid, which is a little odd. It's not bad for teams but how quickly it changed is surprising. The Rockets probably would have been best off letting Capela play out this year and trying to resign him next summer because with the number of players on the market, I doubt he'd be offered more than $10-12 million a year and while he wouldn't be restricted, they might be able to come to an agreement where they would pay a few million over whatever he gets offered and still save money.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
$8 million of Nurkic's deal is incentives also, only $40 million is guaranteed. That was a good deal. Unless a big has proven they can play within a team's current system, they're not getting paid, which is a little odd. It's not bad for teams but how quickly it changed is surprising. The Rockets probably would have been best off letting Capela play out this year and trying to resign him next summer because with the number of players on the market, I doubt he'd be offered more than $10-12 million a year and while he wouldn't be restricted, they might be able to come to an agreement where they would pay a few million over whatever he gets offered and still save money.

My guess is the Rockets wanted to wrap up Capela for 5 years and not risk losing him in free agency. Maybe they overpaid a bit but he figures to be a part of their future core. Chris Paul is not getting any younger.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My guess is the Rockets wanted to wrap up Capela for 5 years and not risk losing him in free agency. Maybe they overpaid a bit but he figures to be a part of their future core. Chris Paul is not getting any younger.

I don't think they overpaid him at all but you're right, wrapping him up this year was important. Next year, teams figure to have a lot more money available. He'd be a very attractive target and possibly disgruntled too if they'd not reached an extension this offseason. The kind you might even want to overpay for as he figures to improve quite a bit over the next few years.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Nurkic and Capela are both quite a bit better than the bigs that aren't getting paid. And Capela, even allowing for the Dantoni effect, would probably be one of the most prized free agents next offseason if the Rockets hadn't signed him. I'm nowhere near as high on Nurkic but he's also nowhere near the Monroe, Len, Okafor class IMO.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Hmmm. Its not earthshattering, but it makes the Bucks deeper. I am thinking that pick will not convey this year. There will be a season or a large portion of a season lost to injury for Giannis. Its inevitable. His style of play and his body style lend themselves to injuries. Maybe the pick will convey when that happens. I am not hoping for such a scenario, I am just expecting it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a new terminology being used in the NBA, an "Exhibit 10 clause." The first time I saw it used, it caught me a bit off guard.

I'm not aware of a Suns player under this clause unless Canaan fits. George King is on a two-way contract.

Any thoughts?

Here is a link with an excerpt.

July 19th 2018 at 3:16pm CST by Luke Adams
After the NBA’s biggest-name free agents come off the board, many teams shift their focus to filling out their training-camp rosters. Teams can only carry 15 players on NBA contracts (plus two on two-way deals) during the regular season, but their maximum roster size increases to 20 players in the offseason, allowing clubs to bring a few extra players to camp to audition for a place on the regular-season roster or a spot on the team’s G League affiliate.

Many of those players will sign a contract with an Exhibit 10 clause. Introduced in the NBA’s most recent Collective Bargaining Agreement, Exhibit 10 contracts are one-year deals worth the minimum salary. They don’t come with any compensation protection, but can include an optional bonus ranging from $5K to $50K.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/07/hoops-rumors-glossary-exhibit-10-contract.html

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is a new terminology being used in the NBA, an "Exhibit 10 clause." The first time I saw it used, it caught me a bit off guard.

I'm not aware of a Suns player under this clause unless Canaan fits. George King is on a two-way contract.

Any thoughts?

Here is a link with an excerpt.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/07/hoops-rumors-glossary-exhibit-10-contract.html

I read about that some this offseason, right when Bordow went on vacation. It's only optional on one year deals, like stated, and it allows the team to convert the contract to a 2 way deal. Veterans probably won't have those clauses because they don't want to go to the G-League. Apparently they can't convert either Harrison, Reed, or Okobo's deals to two-way deals because of that clause. They'd need to cut them and resign them to 1 year deals with that and then convert it. If young players are signed after camp, they probably have those clauses and with that clause being needed to convert it to a two-way contract it makes sense why some players like Harrison would sign non-guaranteed deals late in a season because it covers more than 1 year and can't be converted so it gives the player an advantage, kind of.

Big Deal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Had dinner with Suns owner the other night. Said that Knight has done a 180 and they expect a big contribution from him this year. Sounds like he is killing it and has something to prove. Really responding to the new staff.