2018 Phoenix Mercury season thread

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
As I've mentioned, our presence in the middle, Brittney Griner, has been consistently inconsistent and continues to commit careless fouls. And we lost our starting Power Forward who could take pressure off her. I don't believe that will be easy to fix.

This could have been the Mercury's year. With Dianna and DeWanna getting older, there isn't too much time left before rebuilding.
There's a back up center on their roster, who I would like to see them try at PF, Brondell doesn't seem that interested in varying the formula.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
There's a back up center on their roster, who I would like to see them try at PF, Brondell doesn't seem that interested in varying the formula.
If we had solid backups at Center and Power Forward, that would be a plan. Unfortunately, we don't, especially to compete during the stretch run.

If Griner were consistent, it wouldn't be an issue . . . but she's not! With all due respect to Brittney, I think the problem is that she does not/is not able to use her size wisely. She is the tallest Center in the WNBA, but not the best.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The Mercury leading the Fever 59-35 in the 3rd and in control the whole game. Griner and Bonner rebounding and the scoring spread around. And the starters going to the bench in the 3rd.

Right now, they will be in an elimination game on the road to start the playoffs, but they could move up.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
And the Mercury win 94-74 with all but one starter resting through the 4th quarter. Every member of the team scored tonight.

Fun to watch, following the losing streak.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The Mighty Mercury hosted the L.A. Sparks today in their final regular season televised game on ESPN2. We won 86-78.

It was 41-34 Mercury at the half, led by DeWanna and a 16-4 run. DB leading the Merc in scoring, Diana in assists and Brittney in boards. And they're playing good defense. Candace Parker doing just about all of the scoring for L.A. Phoenix has yet to lose a game this season after leading at the half.

The Mercury were up by 13 after three quarters with DeWanna making a half court shot. Then she hit another three to start the 4th quarter. And an "and 1" by Taurasi for a 19 point lead.

Bonner finished with a season high 31 points as well as 8 rebounds. Taurasi had 20 points and a career high 14 assists. Griner had 20 points and 11 rebounds. L.A.'s Candace Parker finished with 23 points, most of them in the 1st quarter.

The Mercury jumped over Minnesota in the standings in their quest to have only one, not two, single elimination games and a home court advantage in the first playoff game.

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
With their 86-66 win over Connecticut, the Mercury clinched home court in their Round 1 playoff elimination game, to be played Sept. 6th at Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe due to a scheduling conflict at Talking Stick Arena.

I guess someone didn't expect that the Mighty Mercury would make the playoffs. They didn't take into account the Terrific Trio of Diana, Brittney and /DeWanna, who joined to lead the way for their second game in a row.

Diana 27 points/14 assists; Brittney 33 points/18 rebounds and DeWanna 21 points/16 rebounds.

Imagine if the Suns had a Center/Power Forward (covered by a Small Forward role player) combo who can combine for 34 rebounds. Or a Guard who can hand out 14 assists. And 81 points in a 20-point blowout from their top three players and great defense. In a 40-minute (not 48 minute) game in their league. With playoff positioning on the line.

http://arizonasports.com/story/1226...ayoff-home-game-single-elimination-round-one/

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I like where the Mercury stand heading into the playoffs. The Wings have been awful recently, and the only times they win is when Cambage dominates. I doubt Griner lets her do that.

Then, the Mercury would face the Sun, another team they match up well against, and a team they beat 2/3 times this year.

Even better, the Sparks and Lynx play each other. AND if whomever comes out of that matchup beats the Mystics, the Mercury would find themselves in the semifinals against the Dream, who are missing arguably their best player.

There's a definite path to the finals.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Yes, the Mercury did what they had to -- beat the N.Y. Liberty to clinch the fifth seed and avoid having to face defending champion Minnesota in the elimination game.

Bonner led the team with 23 points and 10 rebounds, as well as going 9-for-9 in free throws, with the rest of the team going 8 out of 9. DeWanna did it all!

Diana Taurus had 16 points and tied January for the most assists with 5. Talbot at Small Forward stepped up with 18 points and was second to Bonner with 6 rebounds. January tied Taurasi with 5 assists.

Griner, in her usual up-and-down performance, contributed only 9 points and 4 rebounds and was a disappointing 1-for-2 in free throws. She committed 4 fouls, second to January's 5.

Brittney needs to step up and neutralize Cambage in this next game, which is not a given. This is one chore that Bonner cannot double-step up to size-wise.

As ColdPickleNachos said, the Mercury has a path to the Finals. I believe that it will all come down to whether Brittney does her job or not.

Last edited:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
There are good posts about this on the ASFN Suns "Ayton" board.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The Mercury up by 4 at the half in a high scoring game vs. Dallas in the elimination game.

Tonight, Griner came to play. And Diana is. Leaving Bonner as a third option. The three of them have scored 43 of the Mercury's 53 points in the 1st half.

And they're not letting the Dallas Center Cambage, at a husky 6'8", dominate them.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tough go get here for the 530 start. Mercury up at the half. They definitely can win this. Nice to see Griner playing up to her potential.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
And the Mercury are up by 15 at the end of 3.

My fav DeWanna with two bank shot 3's. Her smiles were priceless. As well as her defense. The Big 3 is coming through again, just as in the last game of the season.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
101-83 and the Mercury advance to the 2nd elimination game in Connecticut on Thursday.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome win. Bonner, Diana and Griner all played really well. Props to Talbot too for making all the hustle plays. Bring on Connecticut!

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Here are the key stats from the game.

DeWanna Bonner ... 29 points and 11 rebounds
Diana Taurasi ........ 26 points and 12 assists
Brittney Griner ...... 17 points
Stephanie Talbot ........................ 11 rebounds

'Looks good!

And we should beat Connecticut, based on recent games.

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose