Expectations for Ayton's Rookie year

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All of that, plus Dallas is openly saying they will play Doncic big minutes. Phoenix is still implying the mentor role with Ayton splitting time with Chandler. From a stats standpoint that hinders Ayton's chances over Doncic's.
We need to get rid up f Chandler. He has nothing to teach Ayton except how to coast to a paycheck.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You forgot adding Igor, Okobo, and Knight as well.

And assuming both are still here, our 2 best players from last season will hopefully not miss 45 games between them as they did in 17-18. We have plenty of reasons for cautious expectations but we have plenty of reasons for hope too.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm surprised there is so much animosity towards Chandler. He was really effective the year before last. Other than last year, when we were blatantly tanking, he's played with passion, he's cheered for his teammates from the bench and has never complained.

Yeah, last year he didn't blow anyone away, but he wasn't a trainwreck either.

I think having him around Ayton will be a good thing. What we need out of our backup center is someone to keep Ayton honest in practice, someone who will make him work and provide decent play for 15-20 minutes a night... IMO, Chandler is better than any other options out there for the role.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised there is so much animosity towards Chandler. He was really effective the year before last. Other than last year, when we were blatantly tanking, he's played with passion, he's cheered for his teammates from the bench and has never complained.

I think having him around Ayton will be a good thing. What we need out of our backup center is someone to keep Ayton honest in practice, someone who will make him work and provide decent play for 15-20 minutes a night... IMO, Chandler is better than any other options out there for the role.

Completely agree. Chandler has a ton of experience under his belt and I don't mind him being around as Ayton learns the ropes his rookie year. There is much worse in the league he could be next to.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score

Possibly... I think some of the bad feeling towards Chandler comes from the notion that the Suns are going to treat Ayton like he's an NFL rookie QB, or a Bender-type project, and ease him in this season by limiting him to 18 to 20 minutes a game like he's some kind of raw project... which I don't believe they will at all, BTW. I am betting the Suns are going to give him full minutes from the get go. Unless Ayton has some serious problems with foul issues, or injuries, I bet Chandler isn't seeing the floor for more than 15 mins a night max, certainly once the season gets through the first month or so.

And I will bet donuts to dollars Doncic isn't outscoring Ayton over the course of the season. Maybe another rookie or two will... not Doncic.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Ayton will limit himself to 18-20 minutes with foul trouble, unless he pulls a KAT and doesn't even pretend to be trying to play defense. He doesn't play defense with his feet, he reaches, is routinely late on rotations. All this is normal for a kid his age and size. I swear some of you expect a 25 year-old David Robinson to show up instead of a rookie Ayton. Suns didn't draft Ayton for what he will do in his rookie year.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love that Vegas line. Suns goal here is to improve to the point that they look really attractive to a free agent or two and then make their move next year.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton will limit himself to 18-20 minutes with foul trouble, unless he pulls a KAT and doesn't even pretend to be trying to play defense. He doesn't play defense with his feet, he reaches, is routinely late on rotations. All this is normal for a kid his age and size. I swear some of you expect a 25 year-old David Robinson to show up instead of a rookie Ayton. Suns didn't draft Ayton for what he will do in his rookie year.
He never really had foul problems in college. I am not sure why that would change now.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He never really had foul problems in college. I am not sure why that would change now.

If Ayton is asked to play more defense and defend the rim, which he didn't do much in college, then I can see foul problems being a possible issue.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Yeah don’t get the vitriol. He’s not a problem. He’s a vet on a team with few of them. He likely has enough gas in the tank for backup minutes. He’s an expiring contract.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I hope to see Ayton getting into foul trouble fairly often this year... he's not awkward so it ought to mean he's getting enough minutes and is defending the paint. He hasn't had much experience at that so every foul ought to be a learning opportunity. Who knows, Igor may be able to instill a bit of aggression in Bender so he can earn some minutes at C or PF. What a novel idea for the Suns, players earning minutes on the floor!

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I doubt his minutes will be that low, even if he is a foul machine. And I actually think his defensive footwork is pretty good, it's awareness that he is lacking.

Len and Chriss are foul machines because they do lazy swipes at the ball, often in mid court, instead of just trying to stay in front of their man. I don't see Ayton doing that stuff.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I doubt his minutes will be that low, even if he is a foul machine. And I actually think his defensive footwork is pretty good, it's awareness that he is lacking.

Len and Chriss are foul machines because they do lazy swipes at the ball, often in mid court, instead of just trying to stay in front of their man. I don't see Ayton doing that stuff.
I agree with this. I think Ayton has pretty good footwork defensively. And I agree that his awareness and shot blocking are the bigger issues.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
OK, not fair to compare two guys. But do people really think Ayton will foul more than Len did? They play defense differently. I cannot think Ayton will be in foul trouble as much as Len was.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
OK, not fair to compare two guys. But do people really think Ayton will foul more than Len did? They play defense differently. I cannot think Ayton will be in foul trouble as much as Len was.

Initially, yes. I think the hope is that Ayton will figure things out and adjust, unlike Len.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Initially, yes. I think the hope is that Ayton will figure things out and adjust, unlike Len.
Len was like a get in the way draw contact and try and block the shot guy. Ayton appears to let guys slide past and blocks them without body contact. He also seems to watch his foul count better, at least in the college games I watched him in. Ayton seems to know when he's beat and just let the guy shoot. Len was like, oh that guy got by me I better swipe no matter what!

edupunk

Reaction score
Len was like a get in the way draw contact and try and block the shot guy. Ayton appears to let guys slide past and blocks them without body contact. He also seems to watch his foul count better, at least in the college games I watched him in. Ayton seems to know when he's beat and just let the guy shoot. Len was like, oh that guy got by me I better swipe no matter what!
Also, ayton started to play late, hopefully there's a bunch of room for him to grow defensively.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton and Sexton are tied a survey of NBA rookies for Rookie of the Year honors.

Phoenix Suns center Deandre Ayton is predicted to win the Rookie of the Year award along with Cleveland Cavaliers guard Collin Sexton in a survey of NBA rookies conducted by NBA.com.

Ayton, who was picked No. 1 overall out of the University of Arizona in the 2018 NBA draft, and Sexton each received 18 percent of the vote.

There are other categories as well.

Bridges, who was acquired by the Suns on draft night in a trade with the Philadelphia 76ers, also received votes in the "Which rookie was the biggest steal at where he was selected in the Draft?" category.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...-suns-deandre-ayton-mikal-bridges/1051689002/

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Surprised Bridges was viewed as the steal. I guess that speaks in favor of the Suns trading up for him. I thought Michael Porter Jr would be named there though. However there are still questions of whether he'll even play this year though.

Bridges merely received at least one vote; he wasn't in the top 5 of the steal category. Porter Jr. tied for second, and Bates-Diop actually won the vote.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Surprised Bridges was viewed as the steal. I guess that speaks in favor of the Suns trading up for him. I thought Michael Porter Jr would be named there though. However there are still questions of whether he'll even play this year though.

Bridges merely received at least one vote; he wasn't in the top 5 of the steal category. Porter Jr. tied for second, and Bates-Diop actually won the vote.

This is a bit confusing looking at the voting further. Bridges was listed at #5 or better in a few categories but not listed as the biggest steal where he was drafted.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is a bit confusing looking at the voting further. Bridges was listed at #5 or better in a few categories but not listed as the biggest steal where he was drafted.

It seems that AZCentral dropped the ball some in their breakdown of the voting.

When I look at it on NBA.com it doesn't list Mikal Bridges under the biggest steal but it does list Miles Bridges.

OP
OP
Hoop Head

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at the question for who is your favorite player in the NBA and it's pretty obvious who gave their one vote as a tie, selecting "Jrue & Justin Holiday, New Orleans/Chicago". They may as well have quoted Aaron Holiday for that one.

Here's the NBA.com link...

http://www.nba.com/2018-19-nba-rookie-survey

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose