New rule on lowering helmet will be hard to enforce

cardjunkie

Veteran
Reaction score
After the penalty I started watching specifically for leading with the head. It’s in virtually every play from a defender or RB or WR. This is going to be an awful rule because it’s going to be called in a completely arbitrary manner that will likely impact multiple games throughout the season.

Me too. Just about every play there's someone dropping their heads. This rule is called too inconsistently for it to be a viable solution.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
My personal opinion is that this rule is targeted at RB's who are in the open field, see a defender in front of them and just lower their helmet and apply those brutal H2H hit's we've all seen.

Same goes for DB's and LB's who just lower their heads and dive into a scrum.

I agree it will be tough to enforce but at the same time I agree with them discouraging this type of technique. I mean they need to get to the general rule where it's; Stop using your head as a weapon.
but isnt "Spearing" already against the rules?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
At the end of the day I think rule is really just window dressing. It won’t be called consistently. If it’s not a part of pop warner, high school and college rules players won’t be trained to avoid it by the time they reach the nfl. It’s for appearances.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The rule is an absolute mess right now.
I see the offensive player ...normally the WR dropping their head and the defensive player instinctively drops their head to protect themselves and make the tackle and they get the new rule.
I do agree that the focus on heads up football is a good thing.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ok this new rule is not being called correctly. If it is it totally sucks!
The way they are calling the rule, an offensive player can force an infraction almost any time and tack on penalty yards to the play. That is producing exactly the opposite of the intent of the rule. It makes for MORE dangerous plays, not less, and it makes the game more unwatchable.

Just take off the helmet and pads and pull flags.

If you are going to have a rule like this, the on-the-field refs should NOT call it. It should be a booth type call and it should be made very quickly. The camera angles are better than the ref angles any more.

Last edited:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
The best thing I have heard, was on the ESPN morning show.

I forget who said it, but to paraphrase, he said, How could the NFL make this rule and think it was not going to be a travesty? Who in the NFL thought this would work? Now they have yet, another problem that they, themselves created.

I think I can speak for the vast majority of people, that would agree when I say, there is an epidemic of a complete lack of leadership from the upper echelon of people in control, whether it be business, public, or what have you.

Goodell, and his regime are the KING of if, it ain't broke, fix it till it is broke.

I think these hits are not needed in the game. They are dangerous, and not how tackling is taught. And actually the second hit, is borderline since the Cleveland player (Cribbs) is falling to the ground, but Harrison does spear him.

You must be registered for see images attach

but what is being called right now is ridiculous. And I 100% guarantee that this new rule will result in more people getting hurt, because they are going to have to contort themselves to try not to do something, and end up hurt themselves.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best thing I have heard, was on the ESPN morning show.

I forget who said it, but to paraphrase, he said, How could the NFL make this rule and think it was not going to be a travesty? Who in the NFL thought this would work? Now they have yet, another problem that they, themselves created.

I think I can speak for the vast majority of people, that would agree when I say, there is an epidemic of a complete lack of leadership from the upper echelon of people in control, whether it be business, public, or what have you.

Goodell, and his regime are the KING of if, it ain't broke, fix it till it is broke.

I think these hits are not needed in the game. They are dangerous, and not how tackling is taught. And actually the second hit, is borderline since the Cleveland player (Cribbs) is falling to the ground, but Harrison does spear him.

but what is being called right now is ridiculous. And I 100% guarantee that this new rule will result in more people getting hurt, because they are going to have to contort themselves to try not to do something, and end up hurt themselves.

Totally agree! Nice post!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave