2018/19 Opening Night Depth Chart

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's really going out on a limb. Who do you think would have taken that package for their PG?

This is hard to predict because teams talk to each other all the time. We are not privy to these conversations. However, the Suns probably had a reasonable chance to trade for Shai along with a number of veteran PGs using their assets. If the Suns wanted a player like Van Fleet they could have drafted Aaron Holiday at #16. He was drafted at #23.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This is hard to predict because teams talk to each other all the time. We are not privy to these conversations. However, the Suns probably had a reasonable chance to trade for Shai along with a number of veteran PGs using their assets. If the Suns wanted a player like Van Fleet they could have drafted Aaron Holiday at #16. He was drafted at #23.

It doesn’t make sense that in one breath you say we’ll never know but in the next say a variety of options were there and the Suns simply didn’t take them.

You also seem to be saying they wanted a guy like Van Fleet, and should have taken Holiday. However, Bridges is better than Holiday, so that speculation has little to no basis in reality now.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It doesn’t make sense that in one breath you say we’ll never know but in the next say a variety of options were there and the Suns simply didn’t take them.

You also seem to be saying they wanted a guy like Van Fleet, and should have taken Holiday. However, Bridges is better than Holiday, so that speculation has little to no basis in reality now.

You are the one who mentioned Van Fleet. LOL

I'm saying if the Suns wanted to settle for a 6 foot PG they could have drafted Holiday.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
You are the one who mentioned Van Fleet. LOL

I'm saying if the Suns wanted to settle for a 6 foot PG they could have drafted Holiday.
During free agency you mentioned him in nearly every post you wrote, so don’t pull that card.

They obviously didn’t want to settle on a 6ft point guard. But you keep saying they “probably” could have had a chance to get a PG that would be starter quality. Who? I’m saying that they couldn’t because none were available, even for the assets you covet so much.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
During free agency you mentioned him in nearly every post you wrote, so don’t pull that card.

They obviously didn’t want to settle on a 6ft point guard. But you keep saying they “probably” could have had a chance to get a PG that would be starter quality. Who? I’m saying that they couldn’t because none were available, even for the assets you covet so much.

Maybe you should start quoting all these supposed posts because I was not high on the Suns going after Van Fleet. You must be confusing me with someone else.

I do think the Suns could have upgraded their PG situation using the future Miami pick and 16th pick if they so desired. My thought is they liked Bridges more.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
19 for Warren please..........
This isn’t what I’m forecasting, it’s a reasonable breakdown to get to 30 minutes for both bridges and JJ if they both merit it. It’s meant more to show that having versatile players that can consume minutes at multiple positions makes it easier to get the best players court time.

Also, it’s not exactly unheard of for players that were getting big minutes while a team was bad to have those minutes scaled back as the team improves its talent level. I don’t think what I provided is an accurate forecast of the minute breakdown this season. But I could see that, or something close, for next.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Knight craps the bed (likely) then I think we're going to see a lot more lineups featuring Booker and JJ/Bridges as the guards than we're currently counting on.

And I don't really think that's necessarily a bad thing. A huge part of Harden's development came with him basically playing PG for Houston, before they got Paul he was logging half his minutes as PG and I think Booker and Harden have similar skill sets and herky jerky play styles. I don't want Booker to get in the habit of playing as slow as Harden does but I think Booker has superb ball handle and play making potential.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
If Knight craps the bed (likely) then I think we're going to see a lot more lineups featuring Booker and JJ/Bridges as the guards than we're currently counting on.

And I don't really think that's necessarily a bad thing. A huge part of Harden's development came with him basically playing PG for Houston, before they got Paul he was logging half his minutes as PG and I think Booker and Harden have similar skill sets and herky jerky play styles. I don't want Booker to get in the habit of playing as slow as Harden does but I think Booker has superb ball handle and play making potential.
Diana Taurasi does the same thing for the Mercury. But she held back on assist numbers until a few games before the end of the regular season, to avoid injury from trying to do too much all season long.

Booker has had injuries. I'm afraid they will continue if he tries to be our best Point Guard and Shooting Guard (offense and defense) all season long. As far as Harden doing it for Houston, well, we know that D'Antoni wears out his players during the season. Is that part of the reason why Harden plays slow?

If the Suns wind up doing what you suggest, Booker and JJ/Bridges as the Guards, I hope the coaching staff monitors, rather than justifies, the situation. A good coach makes it simple for his players to do their jobs well, rather than cover up for a Front Office that can't see beyond the end of its nose.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Diana Taurasi does the same thing for the Mercury. But she held back on assist numbers until a few games before the end of the regular season, to avoid injury from trying to do too much all season long.

Booker has had injuries. I'm afraid they will continue if he tries to be our best Point Guard and Shooting Guard (offense and defense) all season long. As far as Harden doing it for Houston, well, we know that D'Antoni wears out his players during the season. Is that part of the reason why Harden plays slow?

If the Suns wind up doing what you suggest, Booker and JJ/Bridges as the Guards, I hope the coaching staff monitors, rather than justifies, the situation. A good coach makes it simple for his players to do their jobs well, rather than cover up for a Front Office that can't see beyond the end of its nose.

A few things...

D'Antoni wears down his players because he does not rest them, not because of their roles. And besides, Harden has not gotten hurt. Harden has always played slow, he's an isolation player, if anything he's probably sped up since D'Antoni arrived and he took over more playmaking.

I also don't think Booker's "injuries" are anything to be concerned over. I strongly suspect they were a result of the tank rather than any serious issue. Yeah, his wrist may have been sore for a bit, but the idea that a guy of his stature would miss that much time and never get an MRI and no real diagnosis... just "wrist boo boo" as basically the reason for missing a few months... it screams of tanking. The other chunk of time he missed came because he took a nasty fall on his hip.

Unless your best player is a big then most good teams have their best player as their primary ball handler. The Suns would not be doing anything remotely gimmicky by having Booker play that role, if he is worthy of his contract then he SHOULD probably be in that role.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't think playing PG had anything to do with Booker's injuries. I'd point more to a lack of talent around him and the fact he played through and prolonged injuries that probably would have healed much quicker had he not done so.

As for Dantoni, other than perhaps Nash one season, I don't agree that they were worn down from the regular season. His short rotation resulted in extra minutes for the 6th and 7th player, not so much for the starters. The problem with his shallow rotation meant there was a huge un-fillable hole if anyone went down. And the more physical play in the playoffs took a greater toll on them requiring a deeper bench that just wasn't there. JMO.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want Booker to play point guard to take advantage of match ups and situations like at the end of games. My preference is he does not play point guard because he is forced into this position.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always suspected the Suns had their eye on a European point guard with Igor's background.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
A guy we've mentioned a lot but haven't really discussed in-depth is Mikal Bridges.

https://www.theringer.com/2018/9/4/17819138/mikal-bridges-suns-rookie-curve

I really, really like what he can bring to the team. I think if Booker does end up at PG some of the time, a lineup of him and Bridges, along with Jackson, Ariza (or even Bender) and Ayton could be very interesting. Bridges has such a long wingspan, and you put him on the star guard, whoever that is, and then Ariza on the star forward, and you have a pretty potent lineup.

Not sure it will actually happen, but I do like the Booker/Bridges/Jackson/Ariza/Ayton combination to start games.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not sure it will actually happen, but I do like the Booker/Bridges/Jackson/Ariza/Ayton combination to start games.

I would like that lineup but would also like to see a 3pt lineup of Booker, Bridges, Ariza, Anderson, and Bender also. I know that's not a lineup that will see a lot of time together but that's actually a lineup with 5 shooters that could really stretch the floor and play quick. Perhaps using that lineup to finish the 2nd or 3rd quarter to try and erase a deficit. You could sub Troy Daniels for Anderson or Bender also. They would be smaller but the shooting might improve. It should only be situational for 2-3 minutes but I like the idea of seeing them bomb 3's for those couple of minutes.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I would like that lineup but would also like to see a 3pt lineup of Booker, Bridges, Ariza, Anderson, and Bender also. I know that's not a lineup that will see a lot of time together but that's actually a lineup with 5 shooters that could really stretch the floor and play quick. Perhaps using that lineup to finish the 2nd or 3rd quarter to try and erase a deficit. You could sub Troy Daniels for Anderson or Bender also. They would be smaller but the shooting might improve. It should only be situational for 2-3 minutes but I like the idea of seeing them bomb 3's for those couple of minutes.
There are a lot of lineup combos to try, but I was only talking about the starting unit.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I tend to agree. I think Bridges was a very specific target, who fills multiple needs (shooting and defense.)
It's impossible to say what would have been available in the PG world, but I really think they wanted Bridges.
Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of JJ. But watching Bridges skill set, He is a better shooter, looks to be just as good defensively, and seems to have better handles on the ball. JJ is a scorer, which is different, and has a motor and attitude that gets him going. That JJ was scoring all those twenty point games at the end of the season, makes me wonder what Bridges could do if he had the same mindset as JJ.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think JJ has better handles, his turnovers are a result of playing recklessly.

Bridges is a better 3pt shooter but his biggest advantage is he plays within himself. He runs to his 3 spots and hopes to get open, he is disciplined in his rotations. Jackson is a great open court ball handler, and not bad in half court either... when he isn't barrelling into the lane without a plan. Jackson is at his best when he is helping lead the break, both on and off the ball and slashing off the ball when we're in the half court.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think JJ has better handles, his turnovers are a result of playing recklessly.

Bridges is a better 3pt shooter but his biggest advantage is he plays within himself. He runs to his 3 spots and hopes to get open, he is disciplined in his rotations. Jackson is a great open court ball handler, and not bad in half court either... when he isn't barrelling into the lane without a plan. Jackson is at his best when he is helping lead the break, both on and off the ball and slashing off the ball when we're in the half court.
My son is convinced he could be a PG. Imagine a defensive guy like that playing point. He so far lacks the three point shot that would make him fit alongside Booker ideally. He does bust out the occasional dazzling pass. I think that's why my son thinks he could be a PG.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My son is convinced he could be a PG. Imagine a defensive guy like that playing point. He so far lacks the three point shot that would make him fit alongside Booker ideally. He does bust out the occasional dazzling pass. I think that's why my son thinks he could be a PG.

I wish they'd reel him in some, let him work on play making later, instead have him focus on playing controlled.

I feel good about JJ, he's going to be a good player, the guys who I feel like wash out are dudes who you often don't even know they're on the court, Len, Bender, Chriss... they all have that issue, long stretches where they're almost invisible. JJ... that sure ain't a problem. His motor is through the roof, he's all over the place and he does have a lot of skill. Just needs to let the game come to him and stop forcing it so often.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think Igor’s more structured movement offense will help JJ tremendously.

And JJ definitely has better ballhandling skills than bridges.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
The stats doesn't necessarily back this up but I seem to recall JJ being a competent passer as well. I went through a couple highlight packages and some of the reads he was making was more than I expected from a first year forward. Given time, I think he could develop into more of a secondary playmaker, which would be a huge benefit to shoulder some of the burden off Booker. That's assuming we don't find a starter-level PG in a trade before the season starts.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know there has been a negative comment by Igor about Booker playing pg, but if the season were to start today, he probably fills that role. He is probably the best passer on the team right now and it makes sense for him to initiate the half court offense.

Maybe JJ could help bring the ball up. Not sure. A starting line up of

Booker
JJ
Bridges
Ariza
Ayton

Seems to make sense. Maybe Warren starts over Bridges, but only if his three point shot is improved.

I do not see Anderson starting.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
We could always go WAAAY out on a limb and put Dragan Bender at PG. Can't be much worse than what he's doing now so far. :)

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I’m not sure there is a “best passer” on the team. Whoever was handling the ball is going to get assists but there was never any real facilitating going on when Booker was running it. Hard to believe we were last in the league in offense right?

I’m still bringing in Milos because it would ease in the Igor-era with a vet PG who understands how to get guys involved. Not sure what it would cost but shouldn’t be significant.