Miller once again does it again!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I hate that these kids bounce around high schools. They completely miss the experience of being a high schooler, then typically don’t last 4 years in college so they miss that experience as well. They’ve been made into mercenaries at such a young age . . . such a shame. Our society just kinda sucks now.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate that these kids bounce around high schools. They completely miss the experience of being a high schooler, then typically don’t last 4 years in college so they miss that experience as well. They’ve been made into mercenaries at such a young age . . . such a shame. Our society just kinda sucks now.

That is why I really hope the NBA does away with the age limit rule on schedule. I want to stop seeing that scenario where kids move around every year then pretend to be a student for a year or 2 in college.

Either be honest and admit they're athletes not student athletes, or let them go pro right away.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawi...b29-11e8-8547-df9898f4bd60.html#anchor_item_1

I missed this originally but it's basically saying the same thing I did. Someone on beardown saw my post here, made fun of it, attacked me and then someone else pointed out this article which bascially says the exact same thing. Several others responded in kind about me while refusing to discuss the elephant in the room, the article says exactly what I said the CBS article said, IF the NCAA has anything from the FBI, they will be allowed to use it, immediately.

in fact if the article is right, they can use the allegations in the original FBI complaint as evidence without having to wait for the FBI to finish.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawi...b29-11e8-8547-df9898f4bd60.html#anchor_item_1

I missed this originally but it's basically saying the same thing I did. Someone on beardown saw my post here, made fun of it, attacked me and then someone else pointed out this article which bascially says the exact same thing. Several others responded in kind about me while refusing to discuss the elephant in the room, the article says exactly what I said the CBS article said, IF the NCAA has anything from the FBI, they will be allowed to use it, immediately.

in fact if the article is right, they can use the allegations in the original FBI complaint as evidence without having to wait for the FBI to finish.
I wonder if NCAA will do anything though. If the lay the hammer down on the initial schools and this ongoing investigation digs up dirt on some of the bigger boys like Duke & Kentucky the punishment with have to be the same or even harsher for additional schools. I don’t think NCAA would want to sanction the bigger cash cows.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if NCAA will do anything though. If the lay the hammer down on the initial schools and this ongoing investigation digs up dirt on some of the bigger boys like Duke & Kentucky the punishment with have to be the same or even harsher for additional schools. I don’t think NCAA would want to sanction the bigger cash cows.

I really don't know the answer but it just seems illogical to me that the NCAA would intentionally adopt a new rule that allows it to do this, and then NOT do it?

At this point I don't think Arizona or USC are going to get "nailed" I think some players will be suspended or if they're gone some penalties will be taken for playing kids they knew probably would be suspended, but I don't think this is a major hit to either program.

I think we're all waiting for the other shoe to drop on the Nike EYBL stuff and all those kids at UK and Duke but I don't think the NCAA would have bothered to adopt this rule, if they didn't play to use it.

I actually think it's good for ARizona and SC, they're going to find out sooner if they're going to get hit and if so, presumably exactly how.

The only way ARizona gets in huge trouble is if that Ayton stuff turns out to have some merit, even if not how ESPN originally reported it. If ESPN blew that story UA is in the clear, if it turns out they were afraid he was leaving like Ferguson did so they arranged to get him paid by an agent to keep him at school, then that's bad. But there's no reason to believe that's going to happen it's not what ESPN said was on the tape and right now we have no idea if there really is a tape etc.

But that link I posted very clearly says the NCAA can use the initial complaint filed by the FBI to go forward now.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI this is the part I'm referring to.

"The NCAA was expected to largely wait until after the federal cases made their way through the legal system before issuing sanctions. That meant essentially freezing the status of Arizona and other schools involved.

But now, investigators have been empowered to take the federal complaint information and use it as evidence. (In the past, the NCAA corroborated all information on its own.) "

I should add whatever name or handle Irish27 uses here, I found it hilarious you said I am obsessed when I haven't posted on that board in nearly a year and yet you keep taking posts I make here, and posting them over there.

Anybody who reads ASFN and has for years will tell you what I'm "obsessed" with is cheating and scandals. Not just UA, not just SC, but Lance Armstrong, PED's in big 3 sports, PED's in track and field, and on and on. It never ceases to intrigue me just how far people will go to win in sports, individually and the teams or programs that have them. These things fascinate me, I knew for years OJ Mayo wasn't an amateur, lots of people told me I was nuts and obsessed, I was right. I knew for years Lance was cheating, again lots of people told me i was wrong and it turned out I was right. There have been times I was wrong too, if you had told me Calipari would still be the UK coach with no probations when they hired him I'd have laughed for days, but he is still there and still unsanctioned there.

Last edited:

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
FYI this is the part I'm referring to.

"The NCAA was expected to largely wait until after the federal cases made their way through the legal system before issuing sanctions. That meant essentially freezing the status of Arizona and other schools involved.

But now, investigators have been empowered to take the federal complaint information and use it as evidence. (In the past, the NCAA corroborated all information on its own.) "

I should add whatever name or handle Irish27 uses here, I found it hilarious you said I am obsessed when I haven't posted on that board in nearly a year and yet you keep taking posts I make here, and posting them over there.

Anybody who reads ASFN and has for years will tell you what I'm "obsessed" with is cheating and scandals. Not just UA, not just SC, but Lance Armstrong, PED's in big 3 sports, PED's in track and field, and on and on. It never ceases to intrigue me just how far people will go to win in sports, individually and the teams or programs that have them. These things fascinate me, I knew for years OJ Mayo wasn't an amateur, lots of people told me I was nuts and obsessed, I was right. I knew for years Lance was cheating, again lots of people told me i was wrong and it turned out I was right. There have been times I was wrong too, if you had told me Calipari would still be the UK coach with no probations when they hired him I'd have laughed for days, but he is still there and still unsanctioned there.

You must be REALLY pissed about Sam Gilbert, then.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be REALLY pissed about Sam Gilbert, then.

I've probably read more about Sam Gilbert than anybody you know.

I didn't say pissed I said fascinated. And yes Gilbert is a perfect example.

TJ

Reaction score
Saw some recruit posted a Top-27 interests on Twitter. These Top-X lists are a bit ridiculous

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Saw some recruit posted a Top-27 interests on Twitter. These Top-X lists are a bit ridiculous

I agree but it’s good for Arizona to be on these lists. The stigma has worn off a bit since the B-Will commit. However I don’t think they’re serious players for these guys other than Nico.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I agree but it’s good for Arizona to be on these lists. The stigma has worn off a bit since the B-Will commit. However I don’t think they’re serious players for these guys other than Nico.
Great point. Good marketing for Zona even if they don’t win them.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

And Green although there's serious buzz now that he's a UNC lean since they are apparently his dream school. IMG has 3 kids now that are heavy UNC recruits, him being 1 of the 3. I know arizona is recruiting 1 of the others as well.

That's really the "new thing", we used to talk about package deals all the time but they rarely happened, now they're very common kids want to play with friends in college it's happening over and over. Green is picking between playing with AAU teammate Mannion in college, or his IMG teammates.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
And Green although there's serious buzz now that he's a UNC lean since they are apparently his dream school. IMG has 3 kids now that are heavy UNC recruits, him being 1 of the 3. I know arizona is recruiting 1 of the others as well.

That's really the "new thing", we used to talk about package deals all the time but they rarely happened, now they're very common kids want to play with friends in college it's happening over and over. Green is picking between playing with AAU teammate Mannion in college, or his IMG teammates.
I read the interview where he stated UNC is his dream school but that’s not going to be the deciding factor as he’s looking for a school that is best fit for him. Take that for what it’s worth.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read the interview where he stated UNC is his dream school but that’s not going to be the deciding factor as he’s looking for a school that is best fit for him. Take that for what it’s worth.

Agreed he didn't say I'm going to UNC but there's serious buzz now that it's gone from Arizona's to lose, to UNC probably leading for him.

There's 2 teammates UNC is recruiting and apparently in good shape with so the UNC sites are referring to them as the "IMG 3."

Someone was complaining on BRO that UCLA lost him to Arizona and one of the 247 experts chimed in saying and UA may have just lost him to UNC based on what we're hearing now. Was't Josh though who's usually got the best handle on the kids UA is recruiting.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
An independent investigation revealed that Quinerly received no money. Right now, all info points to Book pocketing the money or it never exchanging hands.

I’ve also heard no credible source say that Akot and Randolph will be suspended. Sounds like BRO wishful thinking

Gershon reiterated that today regarding the Arizona players listed in the report. That nothing came of either getting paid from the federal investigation. I’m interested to see what happens to Book in all this.

TJ

Reaction score
Gershon reiterated that today regarding the Arizona players listed in the report. That nothing came of either getting paid from the federal investigation. I’m interested to see what happens to Book in all this.

Yeah, Book is f**ked.

You have to wonder if UofA self-sanctions or defends itself from NCAA punishment. At this point, I can see UofA challenging the NCAA.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah, Book is f**ked.

You have to wonder if UofA self-sanctions or defends itself from NCAA punishment. At this point, I can see UofA challenging the NCAA.

and to go after ESPN.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Yeah, Book is f**ked.

I’m not familiar with how the court process will go but he did plead not guilty and his lawyer called the case a “tragedy”. Idk what they have up their sleeve but taking bribes of 15-20k is punishable by up to 60 years in prison. Surprised he didn’t plead out since he’s ON TAPE receiving the money.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arizona sophomore forward Ira Lee was cited and released for driving under the influence early Sunday morning.

Lee, 20, is facing misdemeanor charges of failing to yield at an intersection, DUI as a minor and super extreme DUI involving a blood alcohol content of 0.20 or higher, according to Pima County justice court records. He was pulled over at 1:22 a.m. Sunday morning and tested for a blood-alcohol level of .215, police said.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I feel for the kid that his grandmother committed suicide. He’s still old enough to know better than to have done what he did. I don’t know how he wasn’t arrested. I want him pay the price for his actions, and then I want him to find help for his sake. I hope his life blossoms.

All that said, I read his twitter statement. He’s spent an entire year in college. I’m appalled at his lack of even the simplest understanding of the English language. If there was ever a screaming red alarm for failure of academics it was his statement. Wow. I continue to be amazed at my own naivety when it comes to collegiate athletes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose